General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rent or Ride my own?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 01:34 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rent or Ride my own?

I recently have changed jobs, and for the time being I am going to have quite a bit of free time. As it turns out, I'm probably going to have about 2 weeks off in May (which is the perfect time of year for a ride), and I'm trying to decide what to do. I already told my wife that I want to take a trip and she's cool with that.
There are a couple of things I'm thinking about. First, I was thinkin of flying down to a buddy's house in Florida...that would save me on renting room....from there I was gonna try out harley's fly and ride...or eaglerider (which I used before and I definitley recommend). At the same time, I've never really taken a long, cross country trip on a motorcycle, and I'd really like to give that a try. I'm leaning towards the cross country thing, however, I don't know if I want to take my bike...for a couple of reasons. 1..my ride isn't exactly the most comfortable for real long distance touring...2...I don't know if I want to put that many miles on a new bike...and 3...I'm a bit **** about when my bike gets dirty...I think if I subjected my bike to the elements for an extended period of time, I might have a nervous breakdown . I guess the alternative would be to rent a ride...(maybe a nice big comfortable dresser)...but I'm not sure how the rentals work through harley. Do you guys know if they charge a flat fee, or if you're charged per mile..or if there's a limitation on mileage..etc???
Anyway, what do you guys think? Anyone take a long trip on a rental?
Thanks everyone.

Todd

Old 02-26-2006, 04:26 PM
KBES BAGGER
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rent or Ride my own?

My buddy rode from Ca. to Texas and back on a FXDWG. It will handle it, you will be fine. If you are worried about it getting dirty take a rag with ya.

KB

Old 02-26-2006, 04:38 PM
route2null0
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought you were comin out to AZ? hehe...

yer ride looks better than mine anyway so you best go to FL!!!!

Old 02-26-2006, 04:42 PM
route2null0
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I had engine guards w/hi-way pegs and a back rest for me.. i'd go x-country

Old 02-26-2006, 04:45 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

@ my local HD dealer rental was by the day with a discount over X amount of days.

Unlimited mileage. Just pay for the gas.

Also check your insurance co. first. While most auto ins. carriers cover rentals, it's not always the same with motorcycle insurance.

My vote is fly and rent since you do not have a bagger.

Primo

Old 02-26-2006, 05:01 PM
nightrain05
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have rented several harleys in Fla before owning my night train. I believe that is was a per day fee An ultra classic was 135 per day unlimited miles and As i didn't have mc insurance I bought their insurance but don't remeber the cost also they hold 1000 on an Credit card. I believe they also offered multi-day discounts.I rented from Treasure coast in Stuart Fla good people. They dropped the ball when I rented the Ultra and sent me out with out a key leaving me in vero beach at my buddies w/no gas so they brought me a key and offered me a free day rental . I took them up on that the next week and rented a v-rod. Btw I'm right over the border In Pa and work in jersey daily we should hook up during this up coming riding season. Scott

Ps If your a hog member I believe there is a discount you post does mention that check them out I think it's 100 a day but may be limited to certain dealers.

Old 02-26-2006, 05:34 PM
100thRK
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have ridden an EVO FXDWG many miles across country and enjoyed. I put 10-14k/year on it mostly trips to Sturgis and Laconia. You might give your bike a try. There are some tricks to a comfortable ride. A good (right for you) seat makes all the difference. I had three seats I used based on what I was doing. The touring seat I used was a little (ok a lot) ugly but it was comfortable. Just my $.02.

Old 02-26-2006, 05:35 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I say hop on that bad boy and ride it to Florida........forget the mileage it's a Harley. The dirt will come off easy if you wax it real good before you go. You will look at motorcycling differently after taking a cross country trip. Good luck!

Old 02-26-2006, 05:39 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought mine to ride. Yes, they will get dirt on them if you ride them.

Old 02-26-2006, 05:49 PM
blowe
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd ride my own if I didn't plan on purchasing a new bike soon.

If you go the other route and rent a bagger you will find that it is a must have before you make it home.

Quick Reply: Rent or Ride my own?