General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stopped to help a rider today

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 10:00 PM
BROWNDOG
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stopped to help a rider today

I was coming back from the dealer today and came across a guy and his bike on the side of the road out on the highway. I pulled over in front of him and walked back. He was riding some sort of Yamaha Star?He said he didn't know what was wrong but his bike just died on him. He thought maybe he ran out of gas but said he had switched it over to reserve and it wouldn't even fire. He thought maybe he had a fuel problem. I told him sometimes when you run them dry it takes some cranking to get gas back to the carb again. He hit the starter and after about 4 seconds it fired up. He thanked me and I left. I told my wife I stopped because I would want someone to stop for me if I had a problem. It's amazing how many people will drive right past a car or bike along the road nowadays because everyone figures they probably have a cell phone. What they don't realize is that person might be from a couple hundred miles away and not have any idea who to call for help in the area. It seems like when I was growing up, people were more prone to stop and help someone than they are now.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:06 PM
fly_by_day
Cruiser
Default RE: Stopped to help a rider today

That was nice of you, I'm sure he was happy you stopped to help out afellow biker. Did you get wet today while riding. Alot of rain around today.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:16 PM
BROWNDOG
Cruiser

I was driving my "large cage" at the time. Ford Expedition. But it had cleared up and the weather was decent this afternoon here.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:27 PM
buldog21
Cruiser

Nicely done,

Andy

Old 05-22-2008, 10:38 PM
psc
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey great job. When I moved into my new neighborhood, I saw a guy roll out of his driveway...attempt to kick his garbage can out of the way...and consequently dump his Honda cruiser. Although I was runnin' a little late--I stopped and gave him a hand. Damn thing wouldn't start as he had failed to fully charge his new battery the night before. I pushed his *** all over the neighborhood, trying to dump the clutch...we finally got it started and off he went to work.

He stopped by that night with a case of beer...we drank itand both were late to work the next day. Turned out to be a great guy and we've taken the wives out for a couple of day rides along with some other couples. Till this day, he still thanks me.

Glad I stopped. And I hope someone would stop and hook me up as well.

That's what it's all about!

Old 05-22-2008, 10:43 PM
pwp
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thumbs up to you, Browndog. Maybe people don't help as often as they did back in the day, but I'm glad that there are still some of the "good ones" around. Guys such as yourself.

Last year, I was on the receiving end of a good deed. Was quite a way from home and couldn't get my bike started. I really appreciated that a guy came up to me and offered to help me push-start my machine. With his assistance, I easily got running again, and could make it back home. Someday, if I get the opportunity, I hope that I can provide a helping hand to a fellow rider as well. It's just the right thing to do.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:36 PM
cosmicHD
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: BROWNDOG
It's amazing how many people will drive right past a car or bike along the road nowadays because everyone figures they probably have a cell phone.
I blame it on the serial killers!

Old 05-23-2008, 12:02 AM
thefixer
Tourer

Good job!

Old 05-23-2008, 12:09 AM
Twolf
Road Master

I always stop ta help a biker. I even pulled over a coupla months ago ta help a guy on a dirt bike. He was outta gas.

Just the way I was raised, I guess. I stop if there is a car on the side of the road, too, jus' in case ya wondered?

Some might say, "Well, what if it is a SETUP, and they just wanna rob you and steal yer vehicle?"

Well, THAT is why I always have a 1911 or a .357 on me!

Old 05-23-2008, 01:30 AM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member

Good job, if I come across a stranded biker I'll do the same. Unfortunatley the worlds not what it was 40 years ago.

Quick Reply: Stopped to help a rider today