General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding without an MC license......

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 09:42 AM
99octane
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Riding without an MC license......

Here in Italy it's fairly easy to get stopped by street police. If you didn't have a licence, up until some time ago you risked very heavy fines. Today you risk jail, 2 months to 2 years. AND the very heavy fine, obviously.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:54 AM
georgiabiker
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most insurance policies will not pay up if your operating without a license, even if a wreck was the other guys fault.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:05 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In Texas you can take the written test and get a learners permit endorsement--allows you to operate a motorcycle within so many feet of a licensed driver. I got the permit--rode for six months or so than took the driving skills test.I went to a small town DMV and took the skills test--no waiting and no scheduling--show up and ride around the block under supervision. The person giving me the test informed me I passed but that I rode to slow, on a broken asphalt road with loose gravel. I just smiled and thought I have to pay for this. MSF course is a good course but it doesn't go far enough---it teaches basics but it doesn't coverenough survivalskills----needs another day added. As far as I am concerned I shouldn't have to pay for a driver license and the test is bs. Just another form of taxation and head count. They nickel and dime me to death everyday the lowlifes.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:06 AM
Calwoodbutcher
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it costs $15, you take the written test and you get a learner's permit that is good for 6 months. Makes you legal (provided you pass the test) and takes away the paranoia.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:09 AM
swilsondds
Cruiser

Cain't think of ANY reason why you should not get the endorsment.....git it, my friend!

Old 05-21-2008, 10:28 AM
Airywhisler
Road Warrior

Many time the posts on this site brings out the many different attitudes and opinions about what to wear and where to go, and how to act, etc, however, you seem to have hit a nerve that all are in agreement with, thanks for this post. By the way glad to hear you're going to get the license.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:35 AM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: Calwoodbutcher

I think it costs $15, you take the written test and you get a learner's permit that is good for 6 months. Makes you legal (provided you pass the test) and takes away the paranoia.
Not sure about other states, but if I'm not mistaken, the GA permitrestrictsyou from riding on the interstate and having a passenger.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:36 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: oldairboater

In Texas you can take the written test and get a learners permit endorsement--allows you to operate a motorcycle within so many feet of a licensed driver. I got the permit--rode for six months or so than took the driving skills test.I went to a small town DMV and took the skills test--no waiting and no scheduling--show up and ride around the block under supervision. The person giving me the test informed me I passed but that I rode to slow, on a broken asphalt road with loose gravel. I just smiled and thought I have to pay for this. MSF course is a good course but it doesn't go far enough---it teaches basics but it doesn't coverenough survivalskills----needs another day added. As far as I am concerned I shouldn't have to pay for a driver license and the test is bs. Just another form of taxation and head count. They nickel and dime me to death everyday the lowlifes.

Hmmm. I wonder. Are you one of those folks that chimes in and thinks it's a great idea for anyone over 60 to have to test yearly in order to drive?

Old 05-21-2008, 11:16 AM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had mine since I was 16, last year went to the DMV to re-new my card. It disapered, it's gone, no record of ever having it. BS I told them, they said I have to take all the tests over again. [:@]

Old 05-21-2008, 11:25 AM
Gaffy52
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmmm....just a thought here but the thinking is what would happen to you if you had a wreck and needed your insurance company to pay up. My concern would be more about some poor third party that either got hit or wrecked by you through now fault of their own and needed your insurance company to pay up for their damages or reinstatement costs. If your insurance company wouldn't pay up because you did not have a licence and they came after you through the civil courts you might not be able to afford a bike or ride for a very long time paying up!

Just a thought - get your licence and protect yourself and others.

Quick Reply: Riding without an MC license......