General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guardian bells ??????

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 08:01 AM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,564 Likes on 671 Posts

I not only have a cool gremlin bell that the family gave me last Christmas, in my saddlebag I also have a small hand-woven cross made by a nun from a remote Greek monastery that I received 2 years ago during a trip there. It's all about what you believe; no right or wrong answer.

"A man is what he thinks about all day long" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 03-25-2015, 09:11 AM
Tufel
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It's not that I believe the bell does anything for me. It's the thought a friend wanted all the best for me that makes it special in my mind. So mine is hung with pride.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:32 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

Nice thread revival!

I'd never heard of a gremlin bell until I saw one on a friends bikes and he told me the story and how to get one. So my wife bought me a USMC bell. Sadly, unless you get close to it, you can't see the Marine emblem but I know what it is.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:20 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
Nice thread revival!

I'd never heard of a gremlin bell until I saw one on a friends bikes and he told me the story and how to get one. So my wife bought me a USMC bell. Sadly, unless you get close to it, you can't see the Marine emblem but I know what it is.
You have a good wife. Sad to say and I've seen many that don't seem to understand, from what I believe, the bell needs to be put on a person's bike by a person that cares about them in order to work. I've known many that try to buy the bells themselves or somebody sends them a bell to put on their own bike and according to legend, that isn't the way that it is supposed to be if they want it to work right.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:54 PM
Colorido
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SPRINGER
You have a good wife. Sad to say and I've seen many that don't seem to understand, from what I believe, the bell needs to be put on a person's bike by a person that cares about them in order to work. I've known many that try to buy the bells themselves or somebody sends them a bell to put on their own bike and according to legend, that isn't the way that it is supposed to be if they want it to work right.

Never heard that someone else has to put it on your bike for you. Just that it works best if it is given to you as a gift.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:07 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorido
Never heard that someone else has to put it on your bike for you. Just that it works best if it is given to you as a gift.
There might be different interpretations about it but that is just the way that I heard it by some friends that ride. Also, according to the story, the old man put the bells on the bikes of those that helped him out so that is also one reason why I tend to lean that way in my thinking.

Last edited by SPRINGER; 03-25-2015 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:17 PM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,091 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by Tufel
It's not that I believe the bell does anything for me. It's the thought a friend wanted all the best for me that makes it special in my mind. So mine is hung with pride.
I don't care who you are or how you feel about them Tufel has the right answer.
If they care about enough to give you one you hang it.

Like I was once told, no matter macho you are if a 3 yr old hands you a toy phone and says "it's for you," you answer that call."

Some things in life you do not because you believe in it but because someone else believes in you.

I have one with a beautiful cross on it that showed up in my mailbox one day. Giver anonymous.

Old 03-25-2015, 03:30 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

I don't believe it them saving me from anything...*knock on wood*...but why tempt them? (Rubs rabbit foot). I just think it's a fun tradition.