General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Backorder Rant

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 07:54 AM
georgiabiker
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dealer Backorder Rant

This makes the second time in a month I have ordered a $100 plus part and told it would be in 2 to 5 days only to find out a week later it is on back order for at least a month! Ordered a $300 intake from the dealer, was told 2 to 5 days and I double checked with them since the last back-order crap and they ensured me it was available at the warehouse. 5 days later I called and they said it was on order and would be in anytime. 8 days later I called and find out it is back ordered for 5 weeks. Told them to cancel my order, got transferred to the head parts guy and he told me he would call me back. He called a few minutes later and said he found one at another dealer who will have it to them in 3 days. Here we are on the 4th day and still no part.

What gives? Are parts departments so desperate for sales they will lie? Or are dealers computers out of the loop and they are only guessing that the parts will not be on backorder?

Old 05-20-2008, 09:09 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Dealer Backorder Rant

It's common practice for dealers to place one parts order each week, often on Tuesday. They get better pricing and shipping terms from the distributors (Drag Specialties, Custom Chrome, etc) by placing one large order than they would if they placed smaller orders every day. By ordering on Tuesday they usually have it by the weekend IF the distributor has the part in stock. If the distributor doesn't have it, they might tell your dealer "it will be in next week". If your dealer then tells you that and the part isn't in on time, don't automatically call the dealer a liar. He might have told you what HE was told.

I'm not saying you don't have a right to be upset...just don't be pissed off at the wrong person.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:28 AM
georgiabiker
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was a Harleyfactory part, Screaming Eagle Heavy Breather. They order daily, every morning. I am not exactly pissed, just don't get it. My indy can get parts next week and knows when there is a backorder issue the next day. Why can't the dealer do the same?

Old 05-20-2008, 09:30 AM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Either it's just really bad luck or I'd be looking for a new dealer. I thing that's happened to me only once and I got in a few days anyway. Have you ever considered trying Zanottis, I order from them a lot and they always seem to have everything in-stock and it usually ships the same day, plus it's 20% off.

I just had my Indy order tires for one of my other bikes yesterday and they'll be there today. No extra shipping charge for getting them so fast and I get 20% the cost of each tire.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:39 AM
smudge
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I work at a metric parts wholesalers and we handle back orders differently. If the bike is an older model I will check for availabilty before placing an order. If I know that my customer is in a hurry I will check aftermarket accessories as well before placing an order. We try to keep our customers in the loop at all times, calling them if a part does come up as back ordered. I have checked with an OEM supplier in the morning and they show the part in stock and by the time we transmit orders(daily) it may have been sold to another dealer. AS for ETAs, they are a guess at best. I have had ETAs for parts that change on a weekly basis; first showing one date and then moving it forward every week! We are all at the mercy of the manufacturers! Maybe your dealer was told it was going to be there only to be let down. It happens. That siad, I would never promise a part unless I had it in my hand. That's how we roll here.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:41 AM
Dragon Rider
Cruiser

I like Fog Hallow

Old 05-20-2008, 09:45 AM
porsche911
Novice

Try https://www.zanottimotor.com/shopping/partLookUp.htmlbefore you blow a gasket. Great service and 20% below what you are paying atyour dealer...just don't order what I'm ordering or I'll be the next rant!

Old 05-20-2008, 09:47 AM
Gutman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your INDY isn't ordering MOCO parts. Backorders are not a Dealer issue. The MOCO backorders parts. Yes our computers that HD recommends the dealers to use and provide support and are designed by a company Harley own's are that much out of the loop. Be upset with the MOCO. No dealer wants parts to be backordered. This is caused by lean maufacturing and having limited stocking ranges at the warehouse. the difference in aftermarket is these parts are manufactured by, lets say Arlen Ness. He has a stocking level in his warehouse. Then J&P, CCI, Parts Unlimited, Tucker Rocky and so on have stocking levels in their warehouse. The parts are more readily avalable. This makes those parts easier and faster to obtain. If one doesn't have it, they simply call the other.