General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to use bike to charge cell phone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 06:08 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default How to use bike to charge cell phone?

I don't mean to sound so dumb, but I'm not much on wiring vehicles. I can hook up jumpers or a charger and change the battery and light bulbs.

I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express once, but it's not helping here.

Does anyone know a good and easy way to make a connection to the bike to charge a cell phone when riding? In the cage of course I have an adapter that plugs into the cig lighter. I'd like something for the bike.

I do have one of those standard connections hanging below the seat for a float charger but that's it. Even if I knew which wire on the cell charger was + or -, I'd still think I should get an inline fuse? Yes? What size please??

Ideas, and instructions please? Thanks!

Old 05-20-2008, 06:32 AM
barhpr
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to use bike to charge cell phone?

you can buy a adapter and put a plug on the end that will plug into your float charger wire.. I dont know what kind of plug your charger has, but they make one that fits semi marker lights, (the 2 wire one)and you can pick them up from a truckstop...

http://www.sjsh.com.tw/a6522.jpg

then get a cig. lighter socket http://www.batteryspace.com/ProductI...SlaCigRing.jpg

and cut the small end of the plug off of it..there is 2 wires on it..1 goes to the outer ring inside the socket, which will be negative
the other is in the center of the inside of the socket, which would be positive

Im no wire master, but Im guessing a 10 or 15 amp inline fuse would be plenty, installed inbetween the 2 plugs on the positive side..

If you need, I will make you one and ship, because Im no good at sigs, and I know youve done plenty to help other members in that area

pm me if ya need any more

Old 05-20-2008, 06:35 AM
JKK
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats too easy

replace the lighter plug with the corresponding opposite half of the connector on your trickle charger pigtail

(available at most auto shops even dept stores in the trailer wiring section)

add a 1amp inline fuse and oila it does mean whacking the cell phone charger cordand it wont work in the car now but heck take the lighter plug you cut off, wire up the other half of the trailer connecter and make a "car adapter" for the cell charger

pay attention to polarity

diagonals, heat shrink tubing, why not buy a soldering iron and even learn how to do it right while youre at it

Old 05-20-2008, 08:30 AM
2deuce
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got this at super walmart for $3. Connects to the battery tender pigtail

[IMG]local://upfiles/20003/0A2BE3A031924DB68B2E98A0DFF4DC77.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-20-2008, 08:47 AM
cadillac
Road Master

Here is a post from a little while ago... scroll down to my addition. I got my outlet from Powerlet folks and my setup works great!

https://www.hdforums.com/m_3354220/tm.htm

bob

Old 05-20-2008, 09:06 AM
tail11
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 for Powerlet. Even with the "BMW plug" it's still worth it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13603/1AFB4958AF0B47D5BE68EE944FB4BE8C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-20-2008, 09:55 AM
porsche911
Novice

dang I bought my bike to ride, never thought of buying one to charge my cell phone...

Old 05-20-2008, 09:59 AM
travroc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why? I get on my bike to get away from my cell phone and how could you here it ring anyway????

Old 05-20-2008, 10:25 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: barhpr

you can buy a adapter and put a plug on the end that will plug into your float charger wire.. I dont know what kind of plug your charger has, but they make one that fits semi marker lights, (the 2 wire one)and you can pick them up from a truckstop...

http://www.sjsh.com.tw/a6522.jpg

then get a cig. lighter socket http://www.batteryspace.com/ProductI...SlaCigRing.jpg

and cut the small end of the plug off of it..there is 2 wires on it..1 goes to the outer ring inside the socket, which will be negative
the other is in the center of the inside of the socket, which would be positive

Im no wire master, but Im guessing a 10 or 15 amp inline fuse would be plenty, installed inbetween the 2 plugs on the positive side..

If you need, I will make you one and ship, because Im no good at sigs, and I know youve done plenty to help other members in that area

pm me if ya need any more

Man, I really appreciate you offering to make that up for me. That rocks.

There's enough info in these posts for me to make one and bypass the cig lighter idea. Shoulda known that the outside wire on the cig lighter would be ground. That does it. I now know which is +/- on the charger adapter which I didn't when I asked here.

I'll chop my cig lighter adapter for the cell charger and wire it to the float chgr plug with a 15 amp fuse in the line. See - it's all here, lmao. I can easily get another for the cage.

And yes I can solder and tuck wires away nicely. I'm all about computers - just don't know much about vehicle wiring, if anything.

Thanks very much to everyone.

Joking smart azz remark coming - prepare.

And I hope you fkn thread hijackers get your fkn gps units hooked up pointing right at the fkn moon!!! JOKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck on those, too.

JB

Old 05-20-2008, 10:52 AM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I wouldn't necessarily be so quick to discard the cig adapter.
There are a lot of other devices which attach to the standard cig port like camera/video chargers and air compressors to name a few.

I use an SAE extension from my battery tender pigtail to a SAE pigtail that splits to 2 cig ports. Run it to my left saddle bag. I charge my cell phone and digital camera from there.

For camping I have a longer SAE extension cord which I attach to a Colman air compressor to pump up my air mat.

I got the cords and adapters from Powerlet http://www.powerlet.net/index.php?mid=0

Quick Reply: How to use bike to charge cell phone?