General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple cool items from recent road trip....

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008 | 11:55 PM
2smoooth
|
Road Captain
Default Couple cool items from recent road trip....

So I just got back last night from a weekend trip to California (one of my buddies had a ride in appt. at Corbin for a new saddle). Two experiences both somewhat related took place on the trip that I just felt like sharing....

On the ride down we were pretty much just getting rolling down I-5 in Tacoma when I noticed a car coming up on my right side. I just happended to see the driver pointing out to his passenger my RK as he was coming alongside to pass. His passenger was a young boy perhaps 10-12 years old (son I presume)... anyhow as they were starting to pass I see the youngster looking out the rear window with a GIANT grin on his face and proceeds to flash the most emphatic "thumbs up" I have ever seen.

It just sort got me thinking that that young man could very well live with the experience of seeing those Harleys rumbling down the freeway for years to come.. who knows perhaps he will be inspired to one day own his very own Harley (or perhaps he will go home, play xbox and completely forget all about it.. but I doubt that!)

The other was while I was making my way back up from Holister on my way to Faultline HD in Freemont. We were just riding along when a car came alongside on my left with what looked to be a family taking a leisurely ride with one of their elderly parnets. The elderly lady in the front passenger seat was just enjoying the ride looking out the window and after looking at me for a few seconds gave a small grin and gave me a nice wave I presume she waved at our lead rider too as a few seconds later I saw him wave at the same lady.

Many other nice memories from the ride.. but those two specifically I wanted to share!

John

BTW - DAMN it was hot in Cali this weekend!

Old 05-20-2008 | 12:45 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Default RE: Couple cool items from recent road trip....

You meet the nicest people on a ... wait a minute ... wrong advertisement.

Old 05-20-2008 | 05:07 AM
jerryh57
Tourer

You will never know what impact you had on that kid, but heres hoping as he gets older that the addiction of the freedom that a harley offers and the need to have the wind in your face grabs him and motivates him. And what I mean by motivate, Harley riders are actually a very kind caring bunch of folks. We look at life a whole lot diff than the average smuck. As for the older lady, who knows. She might have been remembering a time long ago when her and hubby cruised that road. You might have just made her day.

Thanks for sharing

Old 05-20-2008 | 05:13 AM
SeaHag
Road Master

ORIGINAL: 2smoooth

On the ride down we were pretty much just getting rolling down I-5 in Tacoma when I noticed a car coming up on my right side. I just happended to see the driver pointing out to his passenger my RK as he was coming alongside to pass. His passenger was a young boy perhaps 10-12 years old (son I presume)... anyhow as they were starting to pass I see the youngster looking out the rear window with a GIANT grin on his face and proceeds to flash the most emphatic "thumbs up" I have ever seen.

It just sort got me thinking that that young man could very well live with the experience of seeing those Harleys rumbling down the freeway for years to come.. who knows perhaps he will be inspired to one day own his very own Harley (or perhaps he will go home, play xbox and completely forget all about it.. but I doubt that!)

John
I believe I was 'infected' with the 'bug' in much the same way. For as long as I can remember, I'd wanted a Harley. At age 29, I achieved that dream.

Old 05-20-2008 | 09:11 PM
2smoooth
|
Road Captain

As I think back I can recall pretty well a guy in my old neighborhood that my family nicknamed "chopper" for pretty obvious reasons. I must have been about 10 myself when he lived nearby and I remember watching him take off on his bike (my guess now would have been a tricked out Dyna of some sort)...

In truly keeping with the "can't judge a book by it's cover.. he was just good solid people ya know? Nice guy