General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Earplugs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 07:53 AM
homefront
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Earplugs?

I've noticed more than the usual amount of ringing in my ears after riding my newly acquired Sportster. It's got Cycle Shack slip-ons that sound awesome, but I'm not up for going deaf. Does anyone use earplugs, and if so what kind? I'd like to find some that only block the louder noises so I can still hear what I need to for safety.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:58 AM
celticgent
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Earplugs?

i use cheapie earplugs i got from Gander Mountain in the shooting section.

they're orange and they're on a string.

FYI, the wind does more damage than the pipes.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:14 AM
Super_Glide05
Intermediate

I have the SE2 slipons and found the same thing. Its not "loud", but after long rides my ears were hurting, so I went over to CVS of all places and got a set of "customizable" plugs on a string and haven't had any issues since. They were almost 3 bucks, so really cheap hearing insurance.

I still leave them out on occasion for short trips of an hour or less, however anything over that and the plugs are in. Last weekend I did a 2 hour ride with the plugs. When we got home, I could hear everything normally, so I know they work!

Old 05-19-2008, 08:17 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I wear ear plugs all the time. Why risk hearing loss.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:17 AM
Dr_J
Cruiser

I use earplugs.. and like celticgent said, the wind will tear em up more than the pipes at speed.... I suggest going to your local firearm store and getting a decent set.... they will be able to point you in the right direction and the plugs won't cost you much... I also generally put an extra box of the el-cheapo orange foam ones somewhere in my gear... because it never fails that I get a few miles down the road.. and sonofa...I forgot my plugs.. .but the spares work perfectly for me!

Old 05-19-2008, 08:50 AM
Buddha4
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I use Etmyotic ER20's (not the cheapest but work great) http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx

Old 05-19-2008, 10:05 AM
METALMANGLER76
Advanced

Some **** pore will say real bikers don't wear ear plugs... So I pose with Macs Ear Plugs. They are made of Silicone and have the consistency of putty. You just roll them into a ball (like yer boogers) and stuff them in your ears (like yer boogers) and you can't even tell they are there. I was suprised how well I could still hear my bike while running at speed.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:54 AM
Merlin
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a person say to me once, “Harley’s are so loud”. I then explained that a stock Harley is relatively quiet. I told them you actually need to spend quite a bit of money to buy special exhaust pipes to make them loud. Then they asked, “How can I stand listening to the loud pipes all the time”. I replied “I wear earplugs”. At this point they looked extremely confused.

With that in mind I thought it would be appropriate to craft an article on a threat that is largely restricted to those of us that ride our bikes over long distances and over the years. That threat is to the loss of your ability to hear. As you read further you will find that it has already happened to you, it will get worse, and that your helmet is an inadequate defense against it.

I know, you're thinking that I am about to rag on the loud Harley pipes.Wrong! While it's true that loud pipes will result in faster and more profound hearing damage, it's not the motorcycle sounds that are the principal cause of that damage. Indeed, even if your motorcycle makes no sound whatever, long distant, long duration motorcycle riding will damage your hearing.

It turns out that wind noise does the most damage to your hearing. It is constant, loud, and very difficult to get away from.

At highway speeds you will find that wind noise is well over 100 db[/i], even when wearing a helmet! Wearing a helmet cuts the noise by only about 3 db, and then only if it is at least a 3/4 shell and properly fitted. (An improperly fitted helmet actually INCREASES wind noise!!!) ONE HOUR of exposure to 110 db will damage your hearing. At 115 db it takes only 15 MINUTES. The damage is relentless, irreversible, and cumulative.

What can be done about this? How can we protect our hearing from wind noise?
Well, first, you can make sure that you wear a helmet, that it is at least a 3/4 shell, and that it fits properly. A properly fitted helmet has a lining that presses against the skin on your cheeks as well as across your forehead. Not only does your helmet not shift around on your head when it fits properly,but it cuts wind noise from reaching your ears.

Second, wear earplugs! There are some problems associated with doing this; in fact in some states it is illegal. (You can legally drive a motorcycle if you are deaf, but not wear earplugs.) Aside from the law, many people simply cannot stand wearing them. And, if they are improperly inserted, provide very little noise reduction benefit and will hurt in no time at all.

Earplugs are cheap. You can buy good quality earplugs by the dozens and their cost will be less than $1 a pair when you do so. There are a few places that will even create a mold and custom fit earplugs for your ears. If earplugs are not for you, then try small pieces of cotton. They are more comfortable, though not nearly as effective.

Wearing earplugs of any kind, it seems to me, is counter-productive at speeds below about 40 MPH. But if you ride the highways for any distance at allyou will CERTAINLY be better off having worn them (and, by the way, you will actually be able to hear better with them in at those speeds.)

[size=2]On a personal note, I recently took a “road trip” and discovered that when I stopped after traveling 100-150 mile

Old 05-19-2008, 11:26 AM
homefront
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I'm glad it's not just me!
Too much shooting and loud rock have given me tinnitus as a constant companion (eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee - try to fall asleep to that!). I don't want it any worse!
Thanks for the info, and replies.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:43 AM
88b
Tourer

I use the custom moulded silicone plugs,I have industrial deafness ( wife claims it's daftness ) . i can still hear the radio on my RG with them and a helmet. They work well on planes too

Quick Reply: Earplugs?