General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ok i'm ready for the criticism...pictures of my wreck

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 11:31 AM
jbnl163
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ok i'm ready for the criticism...pictures of my wreck

ORIGINAL: RockyTopRider

dont hold back. im a big boy i can handle it. Blue Ridge Parkway 4-30-08. i looked down to unzip a sleeve. when i looked up i was deep in this corner. i remember everything. i didn't panic. i countersteered started draggin board, then board support, rode for a little while in the grass. realized it wasnt happening, jumped off left side. hit butt first, then knee, then face, head, and finally arm. surgery is done. i'm shopping and trying to decide what to get. no msf course. plan on taking it as soon as i'm riding again. this one was all on me, totally my fault.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3504/1164521AC21843449ABA42F815348CCD.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3504/66B688D30DBC4912A6D4B5AF0F562892.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3504/F7E193CDFB0044339FCB9B2D14CD06D2.jpg[/IMG]
Very similar thing happened to me and another buddy, luckily without any wreck. We were on a high speed run in Arizona and had the highway all to ourselves. Lead rider was on an Ultra, I was on my RK and another guy on a softail. Ultra leads us into a long sweeping turn too fast! Ultra barely makes it without running out of ashphalt. The softail and I couldn't turn sharp enough. Ended up coming to a stop with not much dirt left before a drop off. Scared the **** out of us and also taught us to not follow blindly.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:34 AM
steelhorse 1971
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you learned the lesson by yourself.You dont need me nagging you.Glad to hear your alright.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:45 AM
Bug
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bummer. Glad you are on the mend. X-ray looks extreme. I hope the effects are not to bad over the life time.

Tips, based on details of your post

Ilooked down to unzip a sleeve. Don't do that.

I didn't panic. Good job. [sm=groupwave.gif]

I countersteered started draggin board, then board support: Good on the countersteer, now in the future you can help to not have to drag the board and support by adding some bodysteering. Description: lean forward over the tank and to the side you are trying to steer and almost kiss the mirror with your face. This will change the center of gravity of the bike and not require as much lean to get through a sharp turn (sport bikes do it all the time and it works on a bagger too). Make SURE you are looking (turning your head) in the direction you want to go and nowhere else!!!!!!!!This will help your body get into the right position. Another tip is to use a little throttle. I know that sounds counter to what your instinct is but a little throttle can give you more clearance (shifts weight to the rear tire and extends the front shocks) and can help stabilize the bike and give you more control. Got to learn to trust the equipment.

Realized it wasnt happening, jumped off left side. hit butt first, then knee, then face, head, and finally arm.: Usuallya good idea to not bail unless you are about to go over a cliff. If you go off into grass only use rear brake and try to ride it out. Not usually a good idea to try to correct and get right back on the road once you've gone off. Usually better to ride it out and get stopped if possible.

no msf course. plan on taking it as soon as i'm riding again.: Lesson learned. I take advanced courses whenever I can. Just got back from one on the race track last weekend. No shame in admitting we don't know it all.

this one was all on me, totally my fault. Good to hear. That is the first rule of crashing IMHO, learn from it and move on.

Again, glad you survived. And it could happen to any of us.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:47 AM
fxdwg_rugby
Road Master

Glad your OK! Why not a heratige again?2 Kinds of riders: those that have and those that will.
I have a couple of times... We all do DUMASS things. lol
Get better soon and get right back on.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:01 PM
Hedog
Advanced

Be glad it wasn't a 300 foot drop off curve!!! Everything happens a little quicker on the scoot! With the IQ level of people seemingly dropping at a steady rate, be ready for the unexpected at all times....................