Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOW DO YOU REACT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 12:01 AM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: HOW DO YOU REACT?

Great thread.

I've run the gamut. From flipping the bird, to following the perpetrator to their destination and confronting them. Recently though I was truly just grateful to have avoided the F'ing collision and just shook my head. It wasn't my fault. The driver of the 4 wheeler justsped diagonally across 3-4 lanes w/out any planning,warning or notice. He obviously did not see me because he didn't look.

No amount of screaming, finger flipping or **** kicking would have made the damage to me physically and to my motorcycle better.

How much longer will lady luck hold up? Because thats what it was this last time and most of the other times. I was under the speed limit. In my proper lane. Observing all traffic and then azzhole #1 makes his entrance. Had he tee boned me at the speed he was going there would have been major damage. We passed by side by side by mere inches despite all the clutching/downshifting/front and rear brake action on my part. He was all gas pedal.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:25 AM
jbphoto
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: emsley3

I do what I do in the cage...shake my head and laugh. People get pissed when you shoot them bird but they really get pissed when you laugh at 'em. The bird tells them you're pissed but a shake of the head and laugh tells them you know they're stupid.
+1 to emsley3. This is exactly what I do. I'm too old and too wise to instigate a confrontation so this method seems to work as well as any other option.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:18 AM
madcitycustom
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I'm leaving a safe distance between the vehicle in front of me and myself, only to have someone cut into that space because my lane is going faster than theirs, I'll call them a jacka@$, f'wad, or something similar. But it doesn't make any difference because my helmet restrains what I cannot. However, if they swerve into my lane because they didn't see me or think, as a motorcycle I only need 1/3rd of a lane so they're entitled to 1 &2/3ds lane width, then I'll attempt to blast the horn. I always try to hit the horn if I think I was cut off because someone didn't see me, that way they may look more carefully for motorcyclists in the future.

Anyhow, I would rather have something happen in front of me that I can seerather than come up from behind me. And I would rather have someone cut in front of me, forcing me to back off rather than having some idiot following so close behind that I can't see them in my mirrors. I have turned around and eyeballed people behind me, telling them to back off.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:22 AM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Last guy that cut me off I just pulled up next to him and rode right next to his window for about two miles. He never even looked at me. Kept his arm up blocking his face. I think I scared him. But I was kind of laughing the whole time because he knew his move was really stupid. Most of the time I just get out of the way and keep going. Confrontations can hurt.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:46 AM
Gaffy52
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: RDM

In my younger days, they would have gotten the full treatment. Now that I'm a little older, I normally just let it pass and ride on.
I'm with you on this one......

Old 05-19-2008, 05:23 AM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

Last week some dumb *** girl cut me off at a 4 into 2 merge. At the next 2 into 4 merge I got ahead of her just before another 4 into 2 merge. I slowed down to 5 below the limit and rode that until it opened up again.
Fingers were exchanged. After the fact, I thought "what a stupid thing to do"
That wont happen again. Suck it up and get over it.
MikeM

Old 05-19-2008, 08:16 PM
camper1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curse a blue streak, and get away from the fool.
I still remember reading an accident notice in the newspaper a number of years agao. A truck cut a biker off, the biker got a case of road rage, pulled in front of the truck, slammed on his brakes, and yep, the truck hit and killed him. A Darwin Award winner if I ever read one.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:32 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Just Roll on, Just Roll on [&:]

Old 05-19-2008, 08:33 PM
Mac57
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These days I tend to just let it go. The madder I get, the more stupid I get. Besides, I expect people to do incredibly stupid things and they never let me down. Part of defensive riding I guess.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:43 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,823 Likes on 802 Posts

I pull out my trusty LAW launcher and blow that motherf**ker off the road!!!!

Seriously, though. Sometimes I yell, sometimes I flip them off, sometimes I let it slide. Depends on my mood at the time, I usually hit the horn, but unless it's at lower speed on a surface road, even I can't hear that thing, heheheh...

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Quick Reply: HOW DO YOU REACT?