General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washing with water softner.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 07:41 AM
Fastlane
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Washing with water softner.

I am trying to find out if you have to by pass a water softner when washing a bike? It would be nice to not have the hard water spotting. From what I understand there are trace amounts of salt in the water. This is top of the line system. Thanks.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:51 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts
Default RE: Washing with water softner.

I dont think there is enough salt present to do harm.Just dry the bike off.
If I had soft water at my house,I would be washing my vehicles with it because our water is pretty hard.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:57 AM
Fordster
Intermediate

Hi fastlane i use the mr clean system that hooks to the end of the water hose that thing is amazing the water just sheets right off.It has a removable cartridge inside and you can see when the filter is used up.Been using it for about 6 months and it leaves no water spots works good for me.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:12 AM
Donny
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

From what I've been told, your outside water shouldn't be connected to the softener, anyway. I don't know anyone who's is. The cold side of your kitchen sink should'nt be softened, either.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:19 AM
Beercan321
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a well and water softener. My water is extremely hard. The softener runs every three days. I wash my car and bike and don't have any problems. I do have a filter before the softener to catch any rust or minerals. I’ve never had any problems related to salt. Just dry the bike when you are finished.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:37 AM
BuzzHD
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have been using water treated by a salt type water softener system for 12 years and have washed everything i own without any problem. my system is connected the the incoming water supply so my entire house water supply is treated.IMO the kind of detergent and how well you rinse matters more. S100 anduse anair blower and a micro fiber towelto dry my scooter.
PS: Iuse a water softener withcomputer controlled regeneration cycle if yours is an older system and leaves a salt residue I would bypass the softener and/or get a reverse osmoses type filtering system for the final rinse.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:04 AM
IRideMineEverywhere
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Fordster

Hi fastlane i use the mr clean system that hooks to the end of the water hose that thing is amazing the water just sheets right off.It has a removable cartridge inside and you can see when the filter is used up.Been using it for about 6 months and it leaves no water spots works good for me.
+1

Old 05-18-2008, 09:06 AM
Fastlane
Tourer

There is a by pass for outside if I want and drinking water is seperate RO system. I am getting one seperate tank that is a carbon filter, two tanks for softner , and one salt holding tank.
ORIGINAL: Donny

From what I've been told, your outside water shouldn't be connected to the softener, anyway. I don't know anyone who's is. The cold side of your kitchen sink should'nt be softened, either.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:31 PM
Cotton Hill
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Years ago I lived with well water and softener. I also collected rain water for use after washing my vehicles. I would give them a final rinse with the rain water. Many times people would ask if I had just waxed my vehicle.
Vehicle= Towncar, F350, Softail, and 61 Vette and all of them were BLACK.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:55 PM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The water softener uses ion exchange resin and really doesn't add salt to you water. Use the soft water and you will have less spots butyou will still have some. Most if not all car washes soften their water. I have been the Culligan Man for 34 years. Having people think soft water has salt in in is a common misconception.

Quick Reply: Washing with water softner.