General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone shopping for new HD.....different sales tactics from my first Harley

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 09:54 AM
Solitaree1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone shopping for new HD.....different sales tactics from my first Harley

I was in Daytona a couple of weeks back. Walked around the new store for an hour or so, looking at bikes, no one, and there were LOTS of them, said "Hi, can I help you? kiss my ***", nothing, I guess riding like your invisible transfers over to when you enter the store. Ditto for the downtown store, no one greeted me or said ****. Talked with a buddy that was there a month before me, same treatment. I guess Bruce has enough money and doesn't need any of mine. I left without spending a cent, and probably won't go back to either of those stores.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:58 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: Anyone shopping for new HD.....different sales tactics from my first Harley

LOL now see. Some people get absolutely bent out of shape when there's a salesman always hovering around. Then others get upset when they don't.

Can't please everyone.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:46 AM
driesb
Cruiser

Aren't all the dealers supposed ot have demo machines available? I would not expect to ride any new bike just like that but a demo ride is the minimum, without that I'd go someplace else!
You are after all bringing in a fair amount of money so you can be expected to be treated decently. If the dealer nor his staff can do that I'd say ****'em and go someplace else!
CU
Dries

Old 05-18-2008, 11:42 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I have bought three new Harleys without test riding them. After my first Harley, I never felt a need to test ride one. I know which bike I want and I know I will like the way it rides. Have not been wrong yet.

Old 05-18-2008, 02:36 PM
Solitaree1
Road Master

ORIGINAL: DannyZ71

LOL now see. Some people get absolutely bent out of shape when there's a salesman always hovering around. Then others get upset when they don't.

Can't please everyone.
Greet me, say HI, don't ignore me. I was at Savannah Georgia harley 2 days before Daytona.
Nice, polite, greeted me, asked me if i needed help, didn't hover, didn't press, didn't push.

But to not even say Hello? screw that.

Old 05-18-2008, 02:42 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: Solitaree1

ORIGINAL: DannyZ71

Can't please everyone.
Greet me, say HI, don't ignore me. I was at Savannah Georgia harley 2 days before Daytona.
Nice, polite, greeted me, asked me if i needed help, didn't hover, didn't press, didn't push.

But to not even say Hello? screw that.

Well, they could have said hello. I'd just prefer they not even make eye contact until I pull the wallet out.

Old 05-18-2008, 03:07 PM
twincam882001
Advanced

It seems that they are being more "human" and not the typical salesperson. I've been to the dealer before and talked with 'em and it seems they knew less than I did about a bike. Now, I get the feeling they know the productandalso ride. I can dig it.

Old 05-18-2008, 03:52 PM
Lopoetve
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want them to greet me, ask me if there's something I need, and then follow through. Generally I say something like "I'm looking for this, show me it, and then give me 15 minutes to look at it, sit, and think, and then we'll talk about it".