General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

absurd

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 04:50 PM
MOTOWN RIDER
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: absurd

I have an 07 RK Custom and I was quoted $1,100 by an indy shop here in town. Now this includes: switching bars from stock to Wld 1 518s, braided lines, chrome controls, chrome switches, chrome everything that goes on the bars plus running the cables through the bars. He said it takes about 4-6 hours to do.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:16 PM
congocycles
Advanced

I live in a expensive state and the 8 hrs is normal charge at a dealer.
It takes 4-5 hours to do it correctly and I charge$375.00 to do it the dealer charges $780.00
Mine includes installing chrome controls and switches too.
Try a indy shop you will find the price better and the service better and more honest and less costly.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:22 PM
Bossman1
Outstanding HDF Member

Amen to the indy shop. Usually the wrench is tired of the dealer bs and is a real guy making a living by doing a good job and gettin ya back. also you can usually stay in the shop and learn a lot you might not have known.

BOSSMAN

Old 05-16-2008, 05:52 PM
07deluxe
Road Captain

Man, thats high, but more power to Harley if they can get away with it, thats how they keep the lights on in them fancy show rooms. One of my buddy's all thumbs when it comes to wrenching and has more money than he knows what to do with, He always pays HD to install his accesories, he just paid that same price to get his bars done. Thats what you call a true RUB I guess! I told him I would have done it for half the price and beer in my garage, Oh well.

Freind of a RUB

Old 05-16-2008, 06:44 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My stealer wanted 4 hours at $85 per to change out my sliders. I bought a Sears yellow lift, a new set of tools, and did it myself in less than two hours. I still have the tools and lift which I used to install my new rear shocks and billet wheels. Screw the dealer.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:13 PM
txfatboyz
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: ktm_scott

My stealer wanted 4 hours at $85 per to change out my sliders. I bought a Sears yellow lift, a new set of tools, and did it myself in less than two hours. I still have the tools and lift which I used to install my new rear shocks and billet wheels. Screw the dealer.

RGR that Scott I think you know wich dealer im talking about LOL.
Love the people there but there prices are silly.

Im gonna try that place in Wylie out and see what they can do.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:55 PM
ae4782tt
Road Master

ORIGINAL: ktm_scott

One of the great things about Harleys is their simplistic, easy towork on design. I've done all my own maintainance since the 5k milemark.When I needed a newrear tire I went out and bought a jack and brought the tire down to and indyget it mounted & balanced.With the $$ I saved, compared to the dealer doin it allI paid for the jack and rear brake pads which I also changed while the tire was off. DIY for sure!
On a sidenote: I decided to go with the Sears Red Jack. Just as good as the yellow one and much cheaper!

Old 05-16-2008, 10:09 PM
ranger56528
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Takes about 7 beers(2 hours)to do a Stator on my 80FLT...85 a hourisn't bad for labor rate,take a car to a dealer or a boat to a dealer,they are anywhere from 89 to 140 a hour....But true indepenent shops are cheeper......
Glad I know how to wrench......

Old 05-17-2008, 04:14 AM
Gaffy52
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just curious here - don't your stealers have set hours to do jobs that are same for all authorised Harley dealers sccross the states set by the Moco, or can they make it up as they go along. I will double check - but I think (though not defintitely sure) thathere in the UK the law requires car and bike shops to work from the same book in terms of times to do jobs but the hourly labour rates can vary. So to change say a set of clutch plates on a FXDBi '07 will take x numbers hours where ever you go, but the hourly labourrate will vary.8 hours to do the job you are describing seems somewhat excessive especially sincemy dealer said the book time to strip, split and rebuild my engine to fix my oil leak under warrenty would take 16 hours. I know its definitely the case for my Landy.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:46 AM
Graywolf584
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had checked with my dealer about swapping bars and they quoted it at a little over a grand. Bought used Street Bob barswith cables off ebay for 60 bucks and did it myself. About the only thing I'll go to a dealer for is tires.
Wayne

Quick Reply: absurd