General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lane Splitting

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 12:04 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Lane Splitting

So, are you saying...with the soccer mom scenario...it's better to sneek right up beside her and startle the bjesus out of her, than it is to safely pull into the passing lane, pass and get out of her way? Please clarify!

Old 02-25-2006, 12:11 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: bikergirl40

So, are you saying...with the soccer mom scenario...it's better to sneek right up beside her and startle the bjesus out of her, than it is to safely pull into the passing lane, pass and get out of her way?

No...I'm saying that you could hit them in the head with a 20lb sledgehammer and the would press the cell phone harder into the right ear and say "hold on Cindy there's some big greasy biker guy I think who like want's something eeewwwww". Then they would drop the lip gloss tube and it would roll under the seat while they are driving and they would start to look for it. You could ride past most of them with an F-14 on full afterburner and they would never see or hear it[:@]

Old 02-25-2006, 12:18 PM
William
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[sm=icon_beat.gif][sm=boink3.gif][sm=chairshot.gif]

Old 02-25-2006, 12:19 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member

Ok, Ok, Ok... you still didn't answer my question. I am trying to picture this in my mind...Soccer mom's lined up on the freeway, one right after the other, 3 deep .... or are there other types of drivers in that line up. Enlighten me.

Let me word my question differently...would you still choose to lane split as apposed to finding the right moment to pass in the passing lane, when you see a hazard like this?

Another question...And I know there are complicated elements to this scenario...But ... Do you find it neccessary to lane split because of this type of hazard or to get where your going because you are impatient?

And Another question...Considering you can't do this in a car, do you do it not because it's safer but because you can?

Sorry for all these "stupid" questions...but I really am trying to understand this.

Old 02-25-2006, 12:28 PM
jv225
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I'm missing the point here too Bikergirl. I have never done it since the traffic isn't too bad around me and it's also illegal. But I think what fxdsteve and the others are reffering to is when traffic is stopped/backed up they ride slowly between the lines of stopped traffic to avoid sitting there and possibly getting rearended and sandwitched by someone not paying attention behind them. They're not talking about splitting lanes at 80 on the freeway instead of waiting for a chance to pass. Either that or I'm nuts too

Old 02-25-2006, 12:29 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I'm talking about close quarters suburban commute traffic 10-25mph stop n go n stop on 2 lane then 4 lane limited access highways. Where I live everybody commutes into and out of the city from 15-20 miles out with all the school kids mixed in. I-77 is a parking lot that moves at 30mph then spilts 2 directions into I-480 which is worse. Take the city streets which is my ride usually and you get the soccoer Mom's at every turn.......can't miss them. In my neighborhood development of 37 homes there are 25 of them alone and they all leave the house within the same hour. I only lane split at rush hour heavy traffic time to get away from these idiots. On the weekends you can change route to escape this scenario.

Old 02-25-2006, 12:31 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

ORIGINAL: jv225

Maybe I'm missing the point here too Bikergirl. I have never done it since the traffic isn't too bad around me and it's also illegal. But I think what fxdsteve and the others are reffering to is when traffic is stopped/backed up they ride slowly between the lines of stopped traffic to avoid sitting there and possibly getting rearended and sandwitched by someone not paying attention behind them. They're not talking about splitting lanes at 80 on the freeway instead of waiting for a chance to pass. Either that or I'm nuts too

You hit the nail on the head! Strictly defensive driving.

Old 02-25-2006, 12:38 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member

Ok, now that's what I needed to know. I can see that... I had the impression it was a method of travel to get from A to B cause you just don't want to wait and you can fit in the little bitty spot between the two cars ahead of you. It's more of a get of the way before I get creamed kind of thing. Personally, I have experienced the need to do it myself...especially in severe heat. I can understand the need, but I don't know if I would have the kahoona's to do it as common practice. Come to think of it, I don't have any kahoona's. Go figure!

Thanks for being so patient with my bonehead inquiries!

Old 02-25-2006, 02:03 PM
fxdxsteve
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you
thats exactly what I've been saying I try not to be an *** about splitting I try to be as quiet as I can and not scare anyone or **** anyone off but gridlock happens almost every day and you have to go slow enough to give yourself some reaction time

Old 02-25-2006, 03:42 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Definately in gridlock, not at 80mph (thats for the sport bikes).

In my commute, it can take 2 hours sitting in the not moving traffic to go the 30 miles I have to go each way every day.

Splitting when traffic stops and keeping it slow means I can get to work much much faster. Traffic is not stopped the whole way, but where it stops it just sits and sits.

Also, since its legal here and happens every day, the cagers aren't really suprised by it. Well, unless you are doing it at highway speeds.

When you see something every day, you get used to it.

I know I feel much safer being in control of my situation vs. hoping the guy behind/next to me is going to pay enough attn to not hit me.

Quick Reply: Lane Splitting