Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley vs. Honda

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 06:20 AM
WantAHarley
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley vs. Honda

To Whom It Concerns:

I want to get a Harley but I have one honest question:

Does Harley really outlast Honda in years or do they simply just have a higher resale value? Also, please explain why I should without a doiubt choose Harley over Honda?

Just trying to get some info here...please no rude or disrespectful comments. Thanks again.

Old 02-24-2006, 06:34 AM
Blackbird
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Harley vs. Honda

ORIGINAL: WantAHarley

To Whom It Concerns:

Does Harley really outlast Honda in years or do they simply just have a higher resale value? Also, please explain why I should without a doiubt choose Harley over Honda?

Just trying to get some info here...please no rude or disrespectful comments. Thanks again.
Hi WantAHarley,
Welcome to HDForums.com from Omaha, Nebraska. [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Your handle... "WantAHarley" says it all. If you get a Honda I guarantee you will always want a Harley. Until you get a Harley your soul will not rest. Save yourself a lot of money and time by getting a Harley now. I speak from experience.

Old 02-24-2006, 06:46 AM
PWHOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WantAHarley

Not so sure about the states but in the UK most of the dealers will let you take a demo bike out for a few hours to see how it feels. The choice of bike is subjective ! I personnaly prefer my Harley for its character and low down grunt but others prefer the buzzing reving engines of jap bikes but you can only go on what feels right for you.

Most bikers who knock Harleys have never in fact ridden one but feel that they can pass negative comments on them. The Harley is a low reving stroker producing quite a lot of torque at low revs therefore as opposed to a high reving engine like the Honda should last longer in wear terms than a fast reving engine.

Most engines will last a considerable lot longer than most riders think if they take care of them but in my expeience Harley riders just want to cruise with the occasional blast whereas jap riders go full bore evrey where which dictates that the wear rate will be higher.

Old 02-24-2006, 07:00 AM
rick
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My first bike was a 98 Honda 1100 aero which i had for 4 yrs until Jan of this year.I finally got my Harley 02 fatboy and have no regets just wish i was able to do it earlier.In my opinion there is no comparison.The harley feels and runs stronger and handles better.That old saying "wanting is'nt as always as good as having"does not work here.And yes the value definatley holds up with the harley.Especially if you start considering the price of the new japanese bikes.

Old 02-24-2006, 07:04 AM
dfirecpt
Cruiser

What it comes down to, is freedom of choice. For me the choice was easy. I test drove the Kaws, Yamahas and GoldWings. Took delivery of an '06 Ultra, Thursday... Dealer did not want me riding it home on the salted roads, so they delivered it at no charge! Nothing stopped me from firing it up and taking it "around the block" when the dealer dropped it off, though. What a rush!! I just did not have that sensation with any of the metrics. I made the right choice for me and I'll take heat from a few people, but to each his own.

If it came down to $$$$, no doubt the resale value is better on HD. It takes more than tires, an engine and some trim to build a bike that people will invest in. Look at OCC or any other custom builder. Again what you perceive to be of value, might be something I'd care less about.

Keep us posted on what you decide and above all, enjoy the ride!

Old 02-24-2006, 07:47 AM
hdman
Road Captain

This is ONE decision you will have to make for yourself...... You are on a HARLEY FORUM>>> Duh...... What kind of answers did you expect to get? Of course we love Harleys. Go on a Honda Forum and get Honda answers. Sooooo, it boils down to YOU and will always come back to YOU and
your CHOICE. Get a Harley, and if in 6 months or a year you are dissatisfied you can sell it and get a Honda. You do it the opposite way and your used Honda want bring the price the Harley did. I don't think you will have a Harley for sell. They have a way of getting in your blood........hdman

Old 02-24-2006, 08:22 AM
RudeDog
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

First off... I can't believe I clicked on a message with honda in the title!

Respectifully tho' I drove an '84 shadow before I got my '91 FXRP and I have absolutely no regrets about it. I'll always be on a HD product for the rest of my life. You won't believe what kind of family of riders you're joining. If it's anything like over here you'll be talked to no matter where you go with people that the HD catches their eye and they can't help but come up to you and ask you a question.

Remember to reply "If you have to ask you wouldn't understand". I believe you will enjoy it as long as you're not one of those speed freaks.

Old 02-24-2006, 08:33 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,273 Likes on 477 Posts

ORIGINAL: WantAHarley

To Whom It Concerns:

Here's a quickie test - How many 1975 Hondas do you see running around?

Good grief, if you want an HD, get one. If you don't, don't. If you can't make up your mind betwixt the HD & Honda, you'll never be happy with either, anyway.

Old 02-24-2006, 08:57 AM
RandyD123
Advanced

hdman has a great suggestion. Get the Harley and in six months or next riding season sell it if you are not happy. At least you will get most of your money back. If you do it the other way you will lose thousands and be even more un-happy!

Old 02-24-2006, 09:46 AM
dynamolowrider
Tourer

?do they last as long . my prev. scoot was 86 sporty I can count on one hand the # of jap bikes I passed while riding that was as old as my littel sporty . I sold it to a guy around the corner from me he rides it to and from work every chance he gets

Quick Reply: Harley vs. Honda