Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley vs. Honda

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 05:32 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 83 Posts
Default RE: Harley vs. Honda

Regardless of Honda or Harley having a higher resale value (It's already proven that HD has the higher resale value). There is no contest when it comes to which one will last longer.

All across america there are 100's of thousands of Hondas in motorcycle salvage yards. There are no HD Salvage yards, because nobody throws and HD away.

Many parts for 60's, 70's, 80's and some 90's Honda's you simply cant get new parts for anymore. It is planned obsolenence.

Yet, you can still rebuild a knuckle, Pan, Sidvalve, Shovle or Evo with brand new parts from the extensive aftermarket and even HD in some limited cases.

I run a 22 yr old FXR and a 15 yr old FLHT that look and Ride almost like new. Damn hard to do that with any Japenses bike that old...

Old 02-24-2006, 07:13 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: WantAHarley

Just trying to get some info here...please no rude or disrespectful comments. Thanks again.
Well, I didn't take the time to read all of the posts so hopefully everybody has been respecful. ...you're asking a fair question.

I think that the iconic reputation of Harley, the massive parts inventory (the factory still makes parts for bikes dating back 3/4 of a century), dealership support, and the fact that they still consist of a lot of iron (much less plastic than their competition), is the reason they seem to be around forever. In fact, I once read that almost every Harley ever made is still running or is sitting somewhere with the intention of making it run again.

Nothing against Hondas, but IMHO you would be much better off with a Harley.

Old 02-24-2006, 07:59 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 65 Posts

This was my reply on a thread about 10 down from yours titled "I test rode a Vctory today.

My Honda Shadow would eat my Dyna alive, much newer technology, EPA compliant, better gas milage. I sold it. My Suzuki Intruder would outrun both the Dyna and the Shadow. Faster than hell, always started, never broke down, road well, a damn great motorcycle. I sold it. My 91 Harley Springer vibrated me to death at speeds over 60mph. Couldn't tell you the RPMs, didn't come with a tach like the "Metric" bikes did. Almost cried when I sold it to buy my Dyna. Slower than all the bikes, 1940's technology, pushrods, tappets, lifters, lots of outdated stuff....God I love that bike. It burps, farts, and stalls sometimes, but it is a Harley, it is supposed to. I have over the last 42 years owned Brittish bikes, Japaneese bikes, Itialian bikes. Nothing compares with an outdated, overweight, underpowered Harley....nothing.

Wanna save a bunch of money, go really fast, and never have to worry about break downs, buy a 'metric cruiser'. Want to have fun, ride in great groups, meet great people, get that Harley you always wanted. You are buying not only a great motorcycle, but an image too.

Let me add, go to any bike night, there will be 100 Harleys for every 1 of anything else. How many Honda Rallys, or Honda Choppers, or Honda Magazines have you seen?? Again for evey 1 of them, there are hundreds of Harleys. Haven't seen a lot of HONDA tattoos either. You are buying into a lifestyle.

You can be a pretender, ride to a rally on your honda wearing your black leather, doo rags, and all that stuff. As long as you park way in the back no one will know....until you leave. You can take off all the badging and stickers. The Hon-Yam-Suz-Kawa sorta looks like the Harley you want...from a distance, it just isn't the same.

Note, you can substitute Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki etc for Honda, numbers still stand true.

Old 02-24-2006, 08:27 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: screwball

This was my reply on a thread about 10 down from yours titled "I test rode a Vctory today.

My Honda Shadow would eat my Dyna alive, much newer technology, EPA compliant, better gas milage. I sold it. My Suzuki Intruder would outrun both the Dyna and the Shadow. Faster than hell, always started, never broke down, road well, a damn great motorcycle. I sold it. My 91 Harley Springer vibrated me to death at speeds over 60mph. Couldn't tell you the RPMs, didn't come with a tach like the "Metric" bikes did. Almost cried when I sold it to buy my Dyna. Slower than all the bikes, 1940's technology, pushrods, tappets, lifters, lots of outdated stuff....God I love that bike. It burps, farts, and stalls sometimes, but it is a Harley, it is supposed to. I have over the last 42 years owned Brittish bikes, Japaneese bikes, Itialian bikes. Nothing compares with an outdated, overweight, underpowered Harley....nothing.

Wanna save a bunch of money, go really fast, and never have to worry about break downs, buy a 'metric cruiser'. Want to have fun, ride in great groups, meet great people, get that Harley you always wanted. You are buying not only a great motorcycle, but an image too.

Let me add, go to any bike night, there will be 100 Harleys for every 1 of anything else. How many Honda Rallys, or Honda Choppers, or Honda Magazines have you seen?? Again for evey 1 of them, there are hundreds of Harleys. Haven't seen a lot of HONDA tattoos either. You are buying into a lifestyle.

You can be a pretender, ride to a rally on your honda wearing your black leather, doo rags, and all that stuff. As long as you park way in the back no one will know....until you leave. You can take off all the badging and stickers. The Hon-Yam-Suz-Kawa sorta looks like the Harley you want...from a distance, it just isn't the same.

Note, you can substitute Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki etc for Honda, numbers still stand true.
I couldn't have said it better!!!!!!!!!!!!![sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 02-24-2006, 08:47 PM
bay13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Virago to Goldwing to Road king. Could have saved a lot of money and just bought the Harley, but then I wouldn't feel the way I do about the bike I have now. Sometimes it's good to learn a lesson, even if it costs you money.

Old 02-24-2006, 09:32 PM
dogtownmax
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: screwball

The first paragraph is telling in a questionable way. the ridablity of the motorcycle is not to be dismissed. speed, brakes, reliability are sought after things, even by harley riders (95" upgrade anyone?).

as for image, some folks dont buy that at the store. lastley, there are some unbleiveable riding groups that dont care about what tank badge your bike is sporting. i am not trying to put words in your mouth, or take your post out of context, im just sayin'...

Yknow Steve, I agree with much of what you said, including the second paragraph that I quoted as well, except I will add that this is not something that is always wanted.

Some folks dont buy (into) lifestyles. And while its great that HD is popular, some folks find that irrelivent to their decision, and others are actually made UN-comfortable with the most popular option.

As for the tattoo, well, not to harsh anyone elses choice, there are some folks that consider HD a corporation like any other, and no matter how visceral the attachment to the bike, could never get literaly labeled. for example, I have a deep attachment to a certain guitar brand. i like all guitars more or less, but one company in particular makes a guitar that is unlike any other, and I am profoundly moved by it. That said, there is no way I am getting the company name that makes the guitar etched into me. Actually, I also dont wear their t-shirts or other logophinalia, but thats just me.

Hats off to HD for being able to foster this lifestyle though, even if its not for everyone.

All that said, you are right that you should get the bike that moves you, regardless of performance specs and whatever else.

Old 02-24-2006, 09:49 PM
Tim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A harley is to motorcycles as a Corvette Stingray is to cars. Happy Mardi gras, Tim

Old 02-24-2006, 10:34 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 65 Posts

Not wanting to get into a back and forth about this, you are right, there are some great riding groups out there. Two chapters of the American Cruisers attend a couple of bike nights here. Only two Harleys in the group, but cumulatively more skulls, Iron Crosses, doo rags, and patches than everyone else. May not like Harleys, but sure want to fit into the "life style" or "image" I think is is funny that all the metrics are building Harley 'clones' The V-twin that Harley and Indian used since the turn of the century wasn't copied until recently by the Japanese. The British never did, and the Itialian (Ducate) v'twin isn't recognizable. Obviously an attempt to cash in on the 'Harley' image. Anyway, ride safe, and enjoy.

Old 02-24-2006, 10:48 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

I don't really have the proper experience to answer your question about longevity of a Honda, but what others have said is true. The Harley will be a better value, in my book anyway. I also feel that how a person takes care of their bike will determine how long that it lasts. I would suggest that you find a Honda and ride it. Find a Harley and ride it, then make your own decision. Maybe then you will find out why so many people are on this forum talking about Harleys instead of someplace else. If we had to explain it, you wouldn't understand. Good luck and make yourself happy, buy the Harley and enjoy the ride.

Old 02-24-2006, 10:49 PM
HDWG
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quick Reply: Harley vs. Honda