Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley vs. Honda

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 01:28 PM
Lowman
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Harley vs. Honda

Try to sell ANY motorcycle that's a year old with 30K on it. That's not exclusive to Harleys...

Old 02-24-2006, 01:42 PM
vernh59
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have owned Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda and Harley. My last Honda was an 87 Wing. Last year for the 1200 flat four. Great bike but I took a real beating when I sold it. I said at that time my next one would be a Harley and now I have my RK. There is no comparison for me. I don't think that money is an issue if you are a buyer. There are plenty of clean used HD's on the market. You may not be able to swing an 06 Ultra or Road King but you CAN find a Harley in any price range. I don't know if my Harley will last longer than the Wing, it doesn't matter to me. If I am going to ride anything it will be a Harley.

Old 02-24-2006, 01:49 PM
Thundercloud
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

I had wanted a bike my whole life. My father had a Honda 350/4 back in the day and then bought a Sportster that he only had about a year and then got a 76 Electraglide. Well I vaguely remember the Honda, but I'll never forget the Electraglide when he brought it home brand new.

I was 12 in 76 and right then decided the only bike for me would ba a Harley and over the years I looked at other bikes and wanted one real bad and could have afforded a Honda or Yamaha or some other Japanese model, but I just kept telling myself I would never be happy unless it was a Harley, so I waited until I could afford what I wanted and now I have two of them and would never consider having anything else.

Nothing compares to the feeling of riding an American Icon like the Harley.

If you want my vote buy the Harley and never look back!!!!!

Old 02-24-2006, 02:13 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

Well....you probably predicted the responses you'd get when you posted the question, so I'm sure what I have to say will come as no surprise. I learned to ride 29 years ago on a Yahama Enduro 100. Throughout the years as I grew older and eventually got my MC license at age 16 I began riding on the streets. I've ridden everything from as small as 50cc up to 1450cc and virtually everything in between (650, 750, 900 & 1200). The bikes included, Yamaha, BMW and Kawasaki. Compared to the '03 HD Ultra Classic that I bought, none of them could come even close to the level of refinement that my Harley offers. Harley's are more expensive to begin with, but they are also better built machines. They do not depreciate like the other brands as you pointed out and that is a evident of the quality. On the road, I've seen 1940's and 1950's Harley's still running and taking trips. Those early bikes were nothing compared to the quality of the new bikes, so you can imagine how much more reliable and better built the current HD's are. As everyone here has mentioned before, there really is no substitute for a Harley. Nothing feels like a HD. That doesn't mean that Honda's suck. They are just different. I recommend renting a Harley through EagleRider or one of the HD dealers that have authorized rentals. There are something like 28 different HD's to choose from. You are bound to find one that suits you. I rented several different HD's before I bought the bike pictured below. Good luck with your decision.

Old 02-24-2006, 02:20 PM
wildwill
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: pococj

Here's a quickie test - How many 1975 Hondas do you see running around?
[sm=interesting.gif]
That's a great question. What the he|| happens to them ? I never see old metric bikes.
Lots of old Harleys though.

Old 02-24-2006, 02:37 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: 100thRK

If I have to explain, you would not understand!!!!
Yes..Yes...Yes...... I can't believe this was not the first reply ..Harley doesn't conjure up visions of cars, snowblowers, powerwashers, lawnmowers, weedwackers, and oh yeah motorcycles..........however you CAN walk into about 30 different types of repair shops and ask...."where should I put this Honda?" Try doing that with a Harley. That said have you seen the new Maytag Road Cruiser? Really fine 1600cc 8 speeds 4 temperature & hi-peed spin.

Old 02-24-2006, 02:50 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: WantAHarley

To Whom It Concerns:

I want to get a Harley but I have one honest question:

Does Harley really outlast Honda in years or do they simply just have a higher resale value? Also, please explain why I should without a doiubt choose Harley over Honda?

Just trying to get some info here...please no rude or disrespectful comments. Thanks again.
Honestly?
1. guys who ride Harleys get more pu**y because chicks prefer Harleys
2. better looks, sound which helps #1
3. better resale because of #1 & #2

Any more questions?

Old 02-24-2006, 03:02 PM
TampaJim
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Red

Can someone explain this "Family" thing people keep talking about? [sm=dontgetit.gif] Are you just buying into some more of the MOCO hype? Maybe if I own HD products for another 38 years I'll understand it.

"If I Have To Explain It To You, You Wouldn't Understand". I always enjoy hearing that. That usually means the person telling you this doesn't have a clue why they ride what they ride.

There is no "best" motorcycle!
Red , you and I think alike [sm=deal.gif]

I have a Harley and a BMW, but don't buy into the hype or BS associated with either brand. [sm=bs.gif]

I love em both and ride them equally--but differently.

All modern bikes are good. Buy the one that "fits" you and your wallet.

Old 02-24-2006, 04:37 PM
Katie
Elite HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey.. no matter what anyone else says, it's Your body that sits on the seat... if it isn't happy at the end of the ride, won't matter what you ride.

RENT a Harley!!! ( Do they rent Hondas?) It's like any other vehicle; test drive ( or in this case ride) one for a bit. test ride a few...

I had an '04 750 Shadow I traded up for an '05 Softail Deluxe, for the comfort of the ride, & the sound... *sigh* & boy, the depreciation was incredible!

I truly loved the Honda, for all the short little day-type trips under 4 hours, & down-town stuff that didn't require packing stuff home.
That being said, comparing a Honda to a Harley, is like a Toyota to a Jag.. ( or top line car vs lower line car! lol)

Really depends on what you want to do.. & what you want to pay.. & if you are going to be content with what you buy.

Either way.. hope you Like what you get... & good riding!

Old 02-24-2006, 05:02 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd buy whatever made me the happiest. You're on a Harley site, of course we'll tell you to by HD, On the Honda site, they'll tell you HD is crap, Honda is superior. We each made a choice. Nothing could convince me to buy anything other than HD. I'll bet there are wingers who would never consider HD. I will offer this comment, Have you ever seen anyone who doesn't own a Honda actually wearing Honda t-shirt? I don't think I have but many people wear HD t-shirts that have never owned one. Just an observation.

Good luck with your choice

Bubba

Quick Reply: Harley vs. Honda