Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley vs. Honda

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 11:37 AM
blk06rk
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Harley vs. Honda

Thats a choice only you will have to make but I will tell you this much. I had a 04 VTX 1300 retro loved it, Like most just had to go bigger got a 05 vtx 1800 retro big mistake. Its a good bike but not for me. Lots of power but it glassy smooth much like the Goldwing, I like to feel what I'm riding. Had always been a Honda man but always wanted a Harley. I give in and bought a 06 Road King Classic. Best money I ever spent. Yes it cost as much as both my VTX's together but its worth it to me. Most people who dog Harleys do so because want one but can't afford one. So they try to make there self feel better by beating up on HD. Now that I made the move I wish I would have did it years ago. After riding one if you have to ask why you should go ahead and buy the Honda but if you do the only one worth having is the 1300 retro in my oppion. If you want see how most VTX owners feel go to VTXOA.com and ask the same question; Is what kind of smarta$$ anwsers you get. You can almost feel the Harley envy through the key board. One more thing I lost big $$$ on both my VTX's. If your interested in resale the anwser is clear Harley Davidson.

Old 02-24-2006, 11:55 AM
Lowman
Road Warrior

Look at some used Hondas and Harleys of the same year and check the depreciation value on each one. That's will answer the value question for you clearly.

The rest is all about preference. All I can say is don't settle either way.

Joe

Old 02-24-2006, 12:00 PM
smokeygold
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, just get the Honda and stay miserable!

Old 02-24-2006, 12:00 PM
EK5858
Road Master

I have a 2004 Shadow Aero that I ride to and from work quite often. It is a 750 so it lacks power but I love to ride and didn't want to pile up the miles on my deluxe. My deluxe is 7 months old and has nearly 10,000 miles. I spend of time in the saddle of both. I find that the Harley is much better for the long rides, very comfortable. If your buying a bike for image then get the Harley if you just wanna ride and image is second then buy what you can afford.

Old 02-24-2006, 12:01 PM
wild wally
Road Master

ORIGINAL: rkc06

Honda makes a quality bike, but I didn't buy the VTX for a couple of reasons.
The fit and finish of the Harley is better.
Honda's tank seem.
Front end wobble.
Not as many accessories.
Exhaust sound (1800).

I would buy a Kawasaki 1600 before the Honda VTX.

But the Harley package is better, even at a higher cost. I bought a Road King to ride, so I don't care about resale value. Which is becoming less of an issue as Harley makes enough bikes that you can get a new one without waiting a year.

Harley has a better package.
One of my best friends has a vtx 1800. And I've got to say, it's a helluva machine. Long, low and fast. But it doesn't sound that good. And the finish on a lot of the parts is weird. Look at the front master cylinder on the VTX. It sticks out, like it's made of cheap pot metal. And there's parts like it all over the bike.

You mix that against the spirit of Harley, the way a Harley handles, and the geegaw factor of Harley, and it's obvious why Harley's have much better resale value.

Wally

Old 02-24-2006, 12:13 PM
Maniac
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: WantAHarley

To Whom It Concerns:

I want to get a Harley but I have one honest question:

Does Harley really outlast Honda in years or do they simply just have a higher resale value? Also, please explain why I should without a doiubt choose Harley over Honda?

Just trying to get some info here...please no rude or disrespectful comments. Thanks again.
Best I can gather, you haven't ridden them to compare the two. If you had, you would have already made up your mind because then you would have realized that it has nothing to do with longevity or resale value...

Old 02-24-2006, 12:24 PM
SUPER01
Road Warrior

Your forum name says it all.
If this is going to be your first bike, buy what you can afford.
If you want a Harley, look at used ones if price is what has you thinking about a Honda, you can usually get a nice ride that someone has already spent money on extras. You don't need to spend $20,000 unless you want to.
My brother-in-law had never been on a bike before, so he bought a new '98 Honda Shadow. He ended up spending around $9800 with bags, pipes, Mustang seat, etc. When he went to sell the Honda a year or two later, because he got a 2000 Fatboy, it took him over a year to sell and he only got $4500 for it with just over 3000 miles. There was nothing wrong with the bike, I even thought about buying it due to the low price, but I didn't want a Honda.
His Fatboy on the other hand was sold in 2 weeks for what what he had into it including extras.

It's your choice. It doesn't matter what you ride, just enjoy the ride.
Good Luck!

Old 02-24-2006, 12:33 PM
Red
Stellar HDF Member

Received 886 Likes on 494 Posts

Can someone explain this "Family" thing people keep talking about? [sm=dontgetit.gif] Are you just buying into some more of the MOCO hype? Maybe if I own HD products for another 38 years I'll understand it.

"If I Have To Explain It To You, You Wouldn't Understand". I always enjoy hearing that. That usually means the person telling you this doesn't have a clue why they ride what they ride.

As far as resale, have any of you tried to sell a year old Ultra with 30,000 miles on it? [sm=forgetit.gif]

All bikes are good. Like I said before, it depends what you want it to do for you. Do you just want it for looks, or do you want one that will take you 25,000 miles a year?

There is no "best" motorcycle!

Old 02-24-2006, 01:13 PM
Mike NY
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

First, I would like to say that I am very impressed with this Forum in that I haven't seen any real bashing of other bikes in my short time here.

Second, I just traded in my 98 Honda Shadow ACE to buy a Softail Deluxe. Didn't blink for a second... Not that the Honda is a bad bike, it it was it is, a lower cost alternative with way too many plastic parts that I still had to pump money into to get it the way I like. If money is the only factor than you will be riding a Honda...

Mike
NY

Old 02-24-2006, 01:25 PM
LouieWideGlide
Cruiser

Dude, your screen name says it all. I had a friend with a Honda Shadow. Bought it for $9000 out the door, put another $1000 into it, and sold it 2 years later for $4500. Go ride everything and buy what YOU like, you already know what we like!

Quick Reply: Harley vs. Honda