Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley vs. Honda

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 01:54 AM
cjmilez
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Harley vs. Honda

Trust me on this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
I had a 03 Honda Ace 750 and then a 06 Yamaha VStar 1100 and now I have an 06 HARLEY SOFTAIL DELUXE!!!!!!!!
All this occurred in a matter of 8mths~~~~>don't waste your money like I did!! Get the best and be happy. When I had the other 2, I deep down inside CRAVED for a Harley....now the craving is gone....

Old 06-09-2006, 09:10 AM
CoolChrome
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: WantAHarley

To Whom It Concerns:

I want to get a Harley but I have one honest question:

Does Harley really outlast Honda in years or do they simply just have a higher resale value? Also, please explain why I should without a doiubt choose Harley over Honda?

Just trying to get some info here...please no rude or disrespectful comments. Thanks again.
This was posted on 2/24/2006

Did WantAHarley make up his mind yet ? He must had made up his mind by now.

I know a few Ex harley owners who now ride japs... like the honda and suzuki.

They're all telling me theyre good bikes. I beleive what they said cuz i have owned 2 japs and ridden like 10. There's nothing wrong with Japs bike. Usually people buy Harley for the lifestyle, image, self estime and spirit that come with Harley. This is where the extra cost come from.

At 65 mph you get the exact same wind and feeling, and when you crash.. you get the same kind of injuries. When i see a Jap biker, i still raise my hand to salute this dude.

Old 06-09-2006, 12:33 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: cjmilez
SNIP
I deep down inside CRAVED for a Harley....now the craving is gone....
So you no longer want your Harley?

Old 06-09-2006, 04:02 PM
Moosemeat
Advanced

Garywayne, no offense intended. But, a person who buys a new bike and puts thousands into it and then expects to get that money out months later on a trade-in is going to get hammered. I think that was a very bad example of relative resale value. Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers with my response.

Rrlavigne, I agree with you completely. As I pointed out, people make poor decisions abbout Harleys, too- the ridiculuous mark-ups over retail are a great example. I just get tired of constantly seeing this pointless bickering over what bike is better. I am no Johnny-Come-Lately on the bike scene. I have been riding since 1968 (Honda Trail 90). I bought my first Harley in the mid-seventies. It was a POS but I loved it- it was a Harley! I have owned a bunch of Japanese and British bikes. They all had something to like. I enjoyed them all. I'd still love a Ducati- if they were sized to fit people over 5'8" tall, anyway. I often encourage friends to buy a Japanese bike if it moves them or if it fits their budget. Used Japanese cruisers can be had around here for very low prices. Great entry-point bikes for those on a budget. So are Sportsters. Perhaps I made a muddy mess of my post. My point was the same as yours- ride what you like. I don't need to justify my '06 Road Glide to anybody. It's my money and my choice.

Old 06-09-2006, 06:12 PM
GaryWayne
Cruiser

Moosemeat....guess it was just one of those things. I just thought you thought I was coming down on Harleys and that wasn't what I was doing. No harm done.............If you are treading bikes after only a few months you are going to get hammered no matter what the brand. My friend bought the Street Glide for MASR and then dumped alot of moeny into it (guess we have all been there) and he's just not happy with the bike. He also had a $34,000 Big Dog that he was going to sell when he got the Glide but seems to like the Dog better. He was just tossing around the idea of a Victory. He's ridden one before and really liked it but even he said why buy it when he has the Big Dog. I expect his Street Glide will be for sell soon and at a better price (for him) then the Victory dealer was going to give him.

Old 06-10-2006, 12:54 AM
Harley Al
Road Captain

Have Fun klee
[sm=icon_cheers.gif]
ORIGINAL: klee

WanaHarley,

My friend if you want one, and can make a deal, get one. I have been riding bikes since I was 14 and untll very recently had ridden nearly everthing but a Harley. Now in my 69th year I have stepped up to a Harley Ultra Classic and I am having fun riding again that I haven't had in years. Several told me I was TOO old to start riding a Harley, but brother, you only go around once so enjoy the ride while you can. My last bike was a great Goldwing 1500 but I seldom got it out of the garage; this Ultra comes out just to go to the store and of course I love all the aminities it offers to make a ride more fun.

God Bless!

Old 06-11-2006, 01:12 AM
atomic
Road Warrior

My first Bike was a 1986 Honda Rebel 450. I bought it new in 1988 and got a huge discount 2000 dollars out the door. Put 29,000 miles on it never had problem with it. Sold it for $600. I bought it over a Harley because I didn't have Harley money. I had 2k. I think if I had 6k to pay for a motorcycle today I would get a Honda Shadow 750. Someone on here compared the price of a sportster to a honda 750. Which isn't even a fair comparison. With a similiarly priced sportster you don't even get a back seat. And the sportster may have a bigger engine but if you drove them both you would think the Honda has the bigger engine.

I think Honda are great at lower prices. But if you are paying 14k for a Honda why not pay a little bit more and get the real deal and get a Harley Softail.

I guess the comparison between honda and harley for cruisers would be

Harley: Appearance. Customization ability. Resale value, Sound.

Honda: Price, Acceleration

I guess if you need someone's opinion on which one to get you should probably save some cash and get a Honda. I was at the Honda dealer located not too long ago and they had the bikes marked way down under MSRP.

Old 07-22-2006, 05:57 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Is this a joke? HAHAHA. It's as f'n Harley. Nuff said.....

Old 07-24-2006, 02:45 PM
Jular2
Road Captain

Rent one of each and compare the ride--the looks--the smiles--the sound--the waves--no brainer in the end.

Old 07-24-2006, 08:05 PM
PSO169
Road Master

I was lucky my only bike was a Harley. First Bike a Road King. My next will be an Ultra Classic. I looked at the Honda's... I liked the look of the VTX but by the time you added the right parts exhaust, saddle bags, passing lamps the cost was almost at the Harleys. I have been without a Harley for 2 years and 3 months, and four days. I am keeping my 94 F350 4x4 with a 460 Big Block so I can get another Harley. I too thought about cost, but my wife convinced me that I would not be happy with anything less than another Harley, (love the woman)...