Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley vs. Honda

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 12:41 PM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Harley vs. Honda

ORIGINAL: Red

"If I Have To Explain It To You, You Wouldn't Understand". I always enjoy hearing that. That usually means the person telling you this doesn't have a clue why they ride what they ride.
I'll take issue with that. What "that" means is that it is difficult to describe something intangible so that someone who doesn't understand, will understand. It is not elitism nor is it mean as derogatory as some would imply. It can be applied to a great many things. It is something that many times defies logic and reason. Sometimes you just cannot describe "why" you like something, why it calls to you and why you are drawn to it. It's quite simple, either you understand it or you don't. Some people never feel it and base all their decisions on logic and reason. Others feel it in many ways.

What does "love" mean? Hard to describe huh? Either you know or you don't.

A better way of saying it, which is favored by my favorite gunwriter John Taffin, "For those who understand, no explanation is necessary; For those who don't understand, none is possible."

"It" is exactly why I bought a Harley without even looking at anything else. I knew what I wanted and why I wanted it. Nothing else matters. Doesn't matter if anything else is more reliable, faster or gets better mileage. I think you should ride what you want to ride and for no other reason. You have to be honest with yourself. If what you really want is a Harley, save your money and buy a Harley. Many people settle for a clone and convince themselves it's "better" when in reality, it was just cheaper.

Old 04-07-2006, 02:52 PM
fuzzyz28
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: byrdshog

HARLEY HARLEY HARLEY AMERICAN AMERICAN AMERICAN
Well...sorty...yep it's assembled here and is an American company...but there's a WHOLE lotta jap parts on them these days.

I like'em...don't get me wrong...but they are not "all American" anymore.

Old 04-07-2006, 03:10 PM
fuzzyz28
Advanced

"A better way of saying it, which is favored by my favorite gunwriter John Taffin, "For those who understand, no explanation is necessary; For those who don't understand, none is possible."

Ya know...that's really true for motorcycling in general...some people just don't "get" why we like to ride so much.

As far as the "Harley vs. Metric" think...I ride a NOMAD...cause I wanted a NOMAD...not becuase I couldn't afford a Road King. The NOMAD fit me better, and personally, I liked the stying a better. I'm not suggesting that one is better than the other...just different. No...it's not a clone either...yes, both are v-twins, but the engine design is totally different, and the transmission and final drive is different also. Yes...I've ridden Harleys and yes I do like them...I just bought what "fit" me better, and I'm very happy with it.

Mainly...you just have to buy what you want. If you want the Harley...nothing else will "fill the void"...if you don't care...there are a lot of options. I don't know of any "bad" bike on the new bike market...just different designes...different strokes for different folks.

Anyway...I'd own about 5 different bikes if I could afford all of them.

Old 04-07-2006, 04:26 PM
Asuperglide
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Not to confuse the issue or be overwordy about it but I ride a Harley and sleep better at night because of it. When I get up in the morning I'm refreshed and ready for a new day. Nothing bothers me since buying a Harley and I thank Harley Davidson for that. Thank You Harley-Davidson.

Old 04-07-2006, 05:21 PM
Jip
Cruiser

Question - "honda davidson" Does this term refer to Hondas as they are styled after Harleys or to Harleys because of the evo and twin cam engines?

Old 04-07-2006, 05:28 PM
fuzzyz28
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Asuperglide

Not to confuse the issue or be overwordy about it but I ride a Harley and sleep better at night because of it. When I get up in the morning I'm refreshed and ready for a new day. Nothing bothers me since buying a Harley and I thank Harley Davidson for that. Thank You Harley-Davidson.

...and that's fine.

You've got to buy what you want or you won't be happy.

Old 04-07-2006, 05:35 PM
fuzzyz28
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Jip

Question - "honda davidson" Does this term refer to Hondas as they are styled after Harleys or to Harleys because of the evo and twin cam engines?
dunno...but I think it's funny that this the "clone" issue really revolves around Honda specifically. In my personal opinion...I think if there is a "clone"...it's Yamaha...I do like the Road Star, but that bike is awfully closely designed like the Fat Boy...and in that particular case...I'd much rather have the Fat Boy.

If you look at Honda...the VTX 1800 was out before the V-rod...the V-rod is when Harley went with liquid cooling and a different engine design...who's copying who in that respect?

Just a point to ponder.

oh...and my buddies call my bike a "kawa-davidson"...and I call there's a "japa-harley" ('cause of all the import parts on the new ones)...but it's honestly just all in fun.

Personally...I want to keep my NOMAD...but am looking at a Harley (not sure wich one...I've looked at the Fat Boy, Ultra, and Springer) as an additional bike.

So yes...I like Harley's also.

Old 05-08-2006, 11:46 PM
Frank A1
1st Gear

My point of view. HD has been around a long time over a 100 years! Nothing or no one can take that away from HD. I some time think of getting a road king or an Ultra. The guys I ride with that have HD have complained more than once about the heat that the air-cooled engine puts out. Sometime its so bad the bike will kill or sputter and miss this happens when in traffic. The last time they talked about it was when roadwork was taking place in April. I live in south Louisiana it gets warm down south. But mostly in June July Aug., & September. This has me thinking. This is one turn off. The other is all of the crying about the Metric bikes being a clone. Come on! When the caravan, came out Ford & Chevy and all the imports came out with theirs same with all of the SUV'S. If there is a market it will be made buy others. Sorry that’s just the way it is. After looking on the form I have not seen a lot of info as pros and cons. So this is my point of view.

HD pros Cons
Great Paint jobs air cooled short engine life to top end.
Real Chrome some models will shake a little more than you would want.
History – over 100 years overpriced to high for what you get. (Most models not all)
Best sounding
A must have if you are in to biker events,
Unity with other HD owners.
Good Resale after 7- 10

Honda pros Cons
Honda quality -Bullet proof some plastic Chrome
Fresh new looking lines Low Resale after 7- 10
History-over 47 years Getting told you have a clone
Fair Pricing

I did look at the Kelly blue book and the Nada to look into Resale for both brands the HD will hole it's Resale a little better in the first 5 or 6 years. Close to the same as the Honda a little better than A grand a year. Is what each bike will lose in Resale. In the past the Honda's that was 7 to 10 year's old was not worth much. where the HD was worth close to half if its Resale price new . Which is pretty good!

Both Great Bikes in its own way!

Old 05-09-2006, 12:16 AM
The HalfBreed
Road Master

I like BOTH bikes, Harleys for their Heritage, sound and Funk Factor.
Honda for it's excellent engineering, brakes, handling and comfort on long rides. (Did two 800+ mile days in the last 3 weeks on the Goldwing.)

For toddling around town, I'm considering buying a Harley (again), just not sure what kind yet.

With that said, Here's a post (one of many) from just one guy who transitioned from a Harley to a Goldwing.....

[quote]Just picked up my 06 Titanium with ABS Friday night. Currently ride a 2003 Road King. Took it out yesterday for about 350 miles for a shakedown. Went across Florida on Alligator Alley and back on Tamiami Trail. What a bike!!!!!! For those interested on some add-ons this is what I put on on and based on first use what I think:

Kury Front Fork Brace - bike is very solid up front but don't have "baseline" to compare to. Slow speed turns are easy with no wobble - high speend handling on this bike is flat out awesome. I felt like I was riding a sport bike getting in and out of traffic and passing.

J&M Satellite Radio Mount (used with Roady2xt radio) - great set up - worked perfect - wouldn't change a thing about it. Have noticed comments on this board about low volume on Roady - seemd to work great for me - just turn output volume on Roady receiver up to to level "6". The default is "3" and it makes a difference. At 3 the Wing volume is aorund 20, at 6 it is around 15 which is a good setting so the Nav unit is not too loud when it chimes in. Still debating if I hook up my IPod, the radio works so good. I will have to check and see if I can still use the aux input for the Ipod - may be taken by radio - will have to figure out.

J&M Phone/Radar/GPS hookup - have not installed radar yet so no comment - phone works well, set it to auto answer and rings into headphone - flip conveniently mounted rocker switch to answer (only reason I got was been out for rides when kids HAD to get hold of (car wreck) and I didn't answer my phone...learned my lesson

CB - seems to work adequatley - not huge range- but good enough to talk to companion riders and to get road condition reports from passing truckers

Fog lights - used Honda lights with protective covers - sure it was only coincidence but first time I have ever come close to having a "head on" with an on-coming car passing a RV -put me onto shoulder of road - will pay more attention to what an oncoming Wing looks like headon - may add some more light upront.

Kury Trunk Rack - looks great

Kury ISO Road Pegs - Look good, dearler mounted too low and I scraped taking home. Adjusted swingarm to be higher so would not hit. Wished installer had read directions - clearly stated not to mount low.

Kury Mini Wing Floorboards - look nice, a little bigger than factory peg but not a lot - look nice with Road Pegs and Brake lever. I didn't like look of their full size boards and heel and toe. I have heel and toe on Harley now and never use heel anyway. The way you sit on Wing I think Roadpegs are better way to go. You are in a more "forward" positon as opposed to an upright positoin on a Harley and I don't think you would ever get the best posture for using full size boards. I really lke them on my Road King but the seating position on the Wing is different. This one is a 50/50 - looks good but not a lot of function.

Arai helmet with J&M headet - fantastic - best fit I have ever had and very comfortable - even on brutally hot day - great sound, mic words great - no wind noise whatsoever. SO wanted "shorty" helemt - KBC - used Honda mic and earphones - mic picks up too much wind noise and interefers with radio - called dealer to change out.

Honda Passenger Push to talk/Volume control - works good

Mats, Bags, Lid Organizers, etc - seem to be well made - integrate well with bike

Honda Spoiler with Brake Lights - Kury pulse modulator - on backorder

Kury Mirror lights - on backorder

Kury Trunk and

Old 05-09-2006, 12:42 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: fu2

My point of view. HD has been around a long time over a 100 years! Nothing or no one can take that away from HD. I some time think of getting a road king or an Ultra. The guys I ride with that have HD have complained more than once about the heat that the air-cooled engine puts out. Sometime its so bad the bike will kill or sputter and miss this happens when in traffic. The last time they talked about it was when roadwork was taking place in April. I live in south Louisiana it gets warm down south. But mostly in June July Aug., & September. This has me thinking. This is one turn off. The other is all of the crying about the Metric bikes being a clone. Come on! When the caravan, came out Ford & Chevy and all the imports came out with theirs same with all of the SUV'S. If there is a market it will be made buy others. Sorry that’s just the way it is. After looking on the form I have not seen a lot of info as pros and cons. So this is my point of view.

HD pros Cons
Great Paint jobs air cooled short engine life to top end.
Real Chrome some models will shake a little more than you would want.
History – over 100 years overpriced to high for what you get. (Most models not all)
Best sounding
A must have if you are in to biker events,
Unity with other HD owners.
Good Resale after 7- 10

Honda pros Cons
Honda quality -Bullet proof some plastic Chrome
Fresh new looking lines Low Resale after 7- 10
History-over 47 years Getting told you have a clone
Fair Pricing

I did look at the Kelly blue book and the Nada to look into Resale for both brands the HD will hole it's Resale a little better in the first 5 or 6 years. Close to the same as the Honda a little better than A grand a year. Is what each bike will lose in Resale. In the past the Honda's that was 7 to 10 year's old was not worth much. where the HD was worth close to half if its Resale price new . Which is pretty good!

Both Great Bikes in its own way!

If the Harley doesn't depreciate as much........how is it overpriced?

Quick Reply: Harley vs. Honda