General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley vs. Honda

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 11:11 AM
reefteach
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Harley vs. Honda

I would like a link to the Honda forum where your alias is "Wantahonda". Should be a good read.

Old 04-06-2006, 11:11 AM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL. look at how many metric cruiser riders are wearing all Harley gear! i have asked many why they were riding what they were riding and was told they couldn't afford a harley. ask what they paid and they paid harley price. BUT they are all good motorcycles now and as long as you are on two wheels and in the wind, you got it.

Old 04-06-2006, 03:14 PM
dogtownmax
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Stumpman
...you can't put a Harley sticker on your truck when your riding a Honda Goldwing. ...
If you have a honda, you dont _need_ the truck, hahaha.

Old 04-06-2006, 03:34 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Red

First you have to decide what you want a bike to do!

If you're only riding 4-5,000 miles a year, a Moped will do it!
No offense to Moped riders, but.....EEEEUUUUU!

Old 04-06-2006, 09:54 PM
reefteach
Tourer

OK,
My last post was not helpful. sorry. (It was funny though[sm=smarty.gif]).
The main reason I bought one is because they sucked me in with their comaradery at events like openhouses and group rides. Even just going into a showroom, you can just hang out at a Harley Store. Seriosly. Do it sometime. Try it at a metric store and they will not respond with as much warmth. I couldn't even get a person to talk to me durring my shopping at a certain metric store. But at a Harley store, they give you free food, free live music, games and a bunch of bikes to demo ride all day long (at the open house)! And what fun meeting everybody. GO TO AN OPEN HOUSE!!!!
Hope this help brother[sm=icon_cheers.gif].

Old 04-07-2006, 07:58 AM
carsoni
Tourer

Ok sport, here's my take on that. a few years ago I wanted another bike after a 20 year layoff. I wasn't sure how much I would ride or if I would really get into it again. so,, I bought a Triumph, did not want to buy used or spend the bucks for a HD. well after a few trips with my HD buddies and hanging around the HD dealership i knew I wanted HD. sold the Triumph(a great bike by the way), got me a 06 RK and have put more miles on the RK in 6 mo's than I did in 3 yrs on the other. So if you want a HARLEY then get a HARLEY, you won't be looking around for a different bike. YOu'll just fall into the a chrome fog and live happily ever after. GO FORTH MY SON, BE SHINY AND LOUD!

Old 04-07-2006, 10:07 AM
DragonNester
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Comparing Harleys to metric cruisers is like comparing true art to fakes. Harleys come with a rich heritage of Americana (including war time) and yes they are flawed like every other piece of art . Metric cruisers are copies of Harley – that’s all! They exist only as a rendition of a true work of American motorcycle art. They may be good machines or not – it doesn’t change the fact, they are mere copies of a truly beloved American machine. For this reason alone, I personally refuse to give the metric cruisers the right to be compared to Harleys. They can be compared to other knock-offs, but not to the original. Harleys have that intangible yet real pride of ownership factor that will always be missing in all metric cruisers.

Old 04-07-2006, 11:07 AM
Bill_A
6th Gear

I was on the fence as well, but after doing some research the Honda is cheaper argument doesn't really hold water any more. They are about the same price for similar bikes, it made getting the Harley a no-brainer.

Honda 2006 Gold Wing Audio/Comfort Base MSRP: $19,499
Harley 2006 Ultra Base MSRP: $19,795

Honda 2006 VTX1300C Base MSRP: $9,599
Harley 2006 Sportster 1200C Base MSRP: $9,595

Honda 2006 Shadow Spirit 750 Base MSRP: $6,399
Harley 2006 Sportster 883 Base MSRP: $6,595

Old 04-07-2006, 12:31 PM
GaryWayne
Cruiser

You are right about the MSRP prices being close to the same but you can get very good mark downs on Hondas. My 05 Wing listed for somewhere between 18 and 19,000 (don't remember for sure) but I bought it for $16,300. That being said I don't think you should let price be the main factor for getting or not getting a bike. You can save money on the Honda but if you really want a Harley then you will never be happy with the Honda. I've had 27 bikes of all sort of brands (yes 3 Harley's..latest was a 02 Dyna Sport) so I'm not really brand loyal. While I like the VTX and Vulcan I don't think anyone makes a cruiser better than Harley. the lines blur a bit more when you get into the loaded touring bikes though. I really like the Ultra and have ridden one many times (friend has one). While it is a fine bike the Wing more fits what I want in a bike at this time but I could change my mind at any time (again 27 bikes..shows I'm never content with anything).

Old 04-07-2006, 12:39 PM
Bill_A
6th Gear

I got my Harley for a couple hundred under MSRP too, but all brand dealers around here won't go much below MSRP because they don't move much volume to make up the difference.

Quick Reply: Harley vs. Honda