General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 05:33 AM
1peter
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Service

I just had my 10,000k service done and I noticed the mechanic started the bike for about 10 seconds after draining the engine oil and removing the filter,this allowed the few hundred ml of remaining oil to purge out. I am just wondering whether this can do any damage? I asked him and he said no way! he has done it with every bike he has ever serviced. Any opinions welcome.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:38 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: Service

I don't recall seeing that proceedure recommended in the manual, and I don't think I'll be doing that on any of my bikes.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:41 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Wow! in all my years and all the different people I know that work on bikes,have never heard that one.No way would I ever do that,there are better ways of purging out all the old oil.Honestly,what little is left in the system will not hurt anything.Find another tech.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:43 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

In all likelihood it won't harm anything - though not something I'd do nor have heard of. Now in reality your morning first-startin theAM is probably about the same (takes several seconds for your oil to start flowing and get to all the places it's supposed to go), in fact probably worse cuz the motor sat all nite and the oil coating the cylinders is probably all dripped away by then. In the shop like he did it the oil is still coating the cylinders cuz you probably just had the motor running 10 minutes earlier.

Now would I do this?NOOO! I don't feel like it's a great idea or all that effective/necessary,but you asked if any harm was done? Probly not -a couple seconds in reality is probably the equivalent of a dry-start after the bike's been sitting a day or two.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:56 AM
1peter
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Arizona

In all likelihood it won't harm anything - though not something I'd do nor have heard of. Now in reality your morning first-startin theAM is probably about the same (takes several seconds for your oil to start flowing and get to all the places it's supposed to go), in fact probably worse cuz the motor sat all nite and the oil coating the cylinders is probably all dripped away by then. In the shop like he did it the oil is still coating the cylinders cuz you probably just had the motor running 10 minutes earlier.

Now would I do this?NOOO! I don't feel like it's a great idea or all that effective/necessary,but you asked if any harm was done? Probly not -a couple seconds in reality is probably the equivalent of a dry-start after the bike's been sitting a day or two.
Yeah thats about how I see it but I will probably just tell him I would rather he didn't do it anyway . The thing that concerned me most was that the oil then has to return to the oil pump, but it probably drip feeds enough into it by the time you start the bike again.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:17 AM
mdstone
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd avoid that mechanic like the plague. I'd be afraid it would starve the oil pump and the oil passages would loose oil. I'd be afraidit would be another few seconds before the engine was properly oiling againand the 10 seconds would actually be more.

If you're anywhere nearSouth GA or North FLA, let me know. I want to avoid that dealership all together.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:22 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Man, that just doesn't sound right. The whole point of allowing a vehicle to cool down is so all the oil will drain back into the oil pan/gear box to drain.

I even prime the filter before putting it back on to avoid dry starts. I would never allow that guy to change my oil again.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:40 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

The only thing you would acheive is a big mess IMO.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:47 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

There is about a quart of dirty oil left in a Harley engine after it's drained. I think the tech is on to something but I agreeI'd never do what he did. [:@]

How about this? Video on another way:

http://www.roguechopper.com/video-tcb.html

And place you can get the kit:

http://www.hdtalking.com/ext.php?ref...m/products.htm

Old 05-15-2008, 10:28 AM
USMC7236
Banned

ORIGINAL: 1peter

I just had my 10,000k service done and I noticed the mechanic started the bike for about 10 seconds after draining the engine oil and removing the filter,this allowed the few hundred ml of remaining oil to purge out. I am just wondering whether this can do any damage? I asked him and he said no way! he has done it with every bike he has ever serviced. Any opinions welcome.
Where is this shop?Need to makesure I'm avoiding it.

Quick Reply: Service