General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this ripping off the Make-A-Wish charity?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 01:53 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,161 Likes on 6,705 Posts
Default Is this ripping off the Make-A-Wish charity?

We knowthis married couple. She has a Softail, and he has a Yamajunk that he red-lines in every gear. It got to the point where I won't ride with him. Anyway........they have akid who is mentally retarded. I know what a daily challenge that can be, but she has a noticeable tendency to use this to her advantage whenever it gets sympathy or attention.

He finally got an Ultra.Make-A-Wish foundation is donatinga free, new, matching sidecar for the kid. As soon as it was approved, they went out and bought another Street Glide (now have 4 bikes). None of the other bikes were traded in or sold. Seems like they could have afforded it on their own. Thoughts?
(I guess I would vote #3)

Old 05-14-2008, 01:59 PM
skiahh
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Is this ripping off the Make-A-Wish charity?

Kid gets to ride. Parents have to live with themselves and, they probably will do so just fine. Nothing you or I can do about it.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:10 PM
hondaherb
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sort of like the slimebag that relocated to South Missouri after Katrina and cried to a local church of how bad she had it. The church bought her a house and the first thing she did was sell the house and move back to New Orleans.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:31 PM
BigPappa
Intermediate

Sounds like Low Rent to me. They will answer when their time comes.

I think #1 is more appropriate.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:33 PM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member

The kid deserves it, the parents dont. There will always be someone that will take advantage of or abuse a good cause. Nothing you can do about it.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:50 PM
northern64
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 29 Posts

I always figured that they would send a person out to look at the situation and determine if a "need" was present.
Guess i was either wrong, or they sent the wrong person!

Old 05-14-2008, 03:03 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess I'm old school, if you agree to a deal, do what you agreed to. I'm sure in their minds it's not a rip off, in my mind it is! Sure wouldn't ever trust them, maybe it's cause I'm Texan.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:12 PM
sldavis
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RHPAW

We knowthis married couple. She has a Softail, and he has a Yamajunk that he red-lines in every gear. It got to the point where I won't ride with him. Anyway........they have akid who is mentally retarded. I know what a daily challenge that can be, but she has a noticeable tendency to use this to her advantage whenever it gets sympathy or attention.

He finally got an Ultra.Make-A-Wish foundation is donatinga free, new, matching sidecar for the kid. As soon as it was approved, they went out and bought another Street Glide (now have 4 bikes). None of the other bikes were traded in or sold. Seems like they could have afforded it on their own. Thoughts?
(I guess I would vote #3)
With just a quick glimpse at the Make A Wish webpage, all these questionscan bequickly answered. First off, the child obviously has more going on than being mentally retarded. To qualify, a child must have a life threatening illness or degenerative condition, and this must be backed up by the childs physician. So I would assume this child has a condition that is going to get worse, possibly resulting in early death. Secondly, family income is not a factor with the Make A Wish Foundation. It is the wish of a child that they want to grant, and the family income can be considerable or minimal. So instead of calling these parents low rent, slimebags, etc., and worrying about how many motorcycles they have in the garage, I think you should be saying prayers of thanks that your children, if you have them, are healthy and saying thanks that you don't have to live through what must surely be a hell beyond belief, watching your child die slowly while you can do nothing. If Make A Wish bought the child a sidecar that he enjoys riding in...what a wonderful thing that is, even if the parents are splurging on other things. And I wouldn't worry too much about what the parents do or don't deserve, and what they will get when their time comes...no parent deserves to go through the agony of having a child that qualifies for Make A Wish.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:17 PM
green_head
Intermediate

+1

Old 05-14-2008, 03:27 PM
fxdwg_rugby
Road Master

My friend has 2 kids with autism...They have to deal with more things then you could possibly understand for the rest of their lives and theirkids life. Let them get some thing...

Quick Reply: Is this ripping off the Make-A-Wish charity?