General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this ripping off the Make-A-Wish charity?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 10:31 AM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Is this ripping off the Make-A-Wish charity?

Sounds like they use motorcycles as a way to escape the nightmare they are living for a short while. I think it would be sad if they don't actually take the kid touring. If they are using it as an escape then there's a good chance they won't. The father redlining the crotch rocket everywhere he goes sounds like someone actively engaged in a passive suicide. I have to question whether they can actually afford it or if they are just bankrupting themselves and just don't care anymore. Seriously, is there anything in their life that to you would make you willing to trade your childs health for theirs? You have to keep it in perspective. They are living a nightmare, not a dream no matter what they do.

PS: If it is their escape then they most likely didn't want the sidecar because they don't want to take the kid along. The sidecar may well be the kid's wish so mommy and daddy don't have an excuse to leave him at home. Now that they have it anyway they might take him along and, if so, isn't that exactly what Make-A-Wish is all about? Even better they might find taking him along is an even better escape because they don't have those pangs of guilt. Don't fault people for coping as best they are able. They are human, they aren't some machine.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:29 AM
Muzzlehead
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My in-laws foster care and adopt HIV+ children. Each child they have cared for over the years has had a make-a-wish experience. Some of the kids were normal beyond their HIV status and others had severe disabilities related to having contracted HIV in vitro. They have been care giving children with HIV since the mid 1980’s (back when HIV was considered the Plague). My in-laws are upper middle class but have made many sacrifices over the years to care for their children. Sacrifices that are beyond what a ‘normal’ parent has to contend with. Make-a-wish has always sought to affirm my in-laws that are meaningful to their family system and the child being granted the wish in particular. Some of their children have expressed a desire for their make-a-wish experience (Disneyland ect.) and others were not capable of sharing their desires or needs. In those cases where the child could not share an opinion, my in-laws made the decision with make-a-wish for anexperience that honored the child and benefited the family as a whole.

Long story short: make-a-wish is an organization that offers children with a life-threatening condition an opportunity that they or their parent might not have due to the many issues associated with the disability. They are not a charity that addresses economic issues; rather their goal is to provide the child with a unique experience.

If the family chooses with their wish team to use their make-a-wish experience to acquire a side car for their disabled child then that is their decision, choice, and right as a make-a-wish family.

How Make-A-Wish offers wishes

Old 05-15-2008, 11:37 AM
BadBoyFLSTC
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm calling Poe.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:07 PM
King FLH
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 13 Posts

I guess my question is, is just who really wanted the side car. If the child has any awareness of weather he's in the side car or not. Some people have no conciousness that they might be "using" the system, due to that's the way they operate in their everday life.

I have no authority to pass judgement on anybody, so I would leave it be if I new first hand of the situation. But I would file it away in my memory bank.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:13 PM
xmarine
Road Master

rhpaw
Sounds like BAD JUJU to me.
Karma can be a bitch!
xmarine

Old 05-15-2008, 12:20 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

People have been taking advantage of charitable organizations since the very inception of same. With regard to this particular situation, I feel it's more of an ethical/moral issue as opposed to whether or not the charitable organization were somehow manipulated, etc. Were the parents of sound ethical, moral, and financial character, then I would suspect that such a 'granted wish' would be one they wouldundoubtedly appreciate yet politely turn away. These are tough times. And the amount of monies received by the charitable organizations out there are showing a marketed decrease as opposed to even a year ago. Personally, I couldn't see how a financially sound family could receive such a gift in clear conscience. Not when there are so many others who could (in my opinion) be much better served with those very samemonies.To receive such a 'gift' and turn around and acquire a new bike in short order? May not be wrong? But itjust doesn't seem 'right' to me. Although qualifying under the guise of the foundation, it'd be tantamount to a Bill Gates having his kid 'gifted' with a trip to Disneyland. Just my take.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:24 PM
irishviking
Cruiser

I don't care what's allowed, it's wrong, and the parents are douchebags for doing it. I hope they don't have any more kids if this is the way they are.

Danny

+1

Old 05-15-2008, 02:13 PM
Lord Albany
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ridiculous. I fault the Foundation for making a poor choice in granting a wish. They could have found something more practical. My understanding has been that Wishes were things unattainable by a child's parents.

I'm a bit angry at the parents. But, if the kids happy then I really have no grounds for complaint. The kid's happiness is what's really important.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:25 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,161 Likes on 6,705 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gypsylady

We have a 25 year old daughter who has Cerebral Palsy. She's not terminal but she will never get better either. All her needs have to be taken care of for her. I wish she could ride with us when we get our new rides. She would love a hack!

That said, anyone who accepts charity when they could afford to do it themselves is nothing but a greedy pr1ck who's using up resources another person really needs.
Most interesting response of all. Wondered if it was wrong to even think it.........
Hope it works out best for those who need it most.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:53 PM
BigPappa
Intermediate

Most interesting response of all. Wondered if it was wrong to even think it.........
Hope it works out best for those who need it most.

+ 1

Quick Reply: Is this ripping off the Make-A-Wish charity?