General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this ripping off the Make-A-Wish charity?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 03:36 PM
lunchboxjunkie
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is this ripping off the Make-A-Wish charity?

With just a quick glimpse at the Make A Wish webpage, all these questions are quickly answered. First off, the child obviously has more going on than being mentally retarded. To qualify, a child must have a life threatening illness or degenerative condition, and this must be backed up by the childs physician. So I would assume this child has a condition that is going to get worse, possibly resulting in early death. Secondly, family income is not a factor with the Make A Wish Foundation. It is the wish of a child that they want to grant, and the family income can be considerable or minimal. So instead of calling these parents low rent, slimebags, etc., and worrying about how many motorcycles they have in the garage, I think you should be saying prayers of thanks that your children, if you have them, are healthy and saying thanks that you don't have to live through what must surely be hell watching you child die slowly while you can do nothing. If Make A Wish bought the child a sidecar that he enjoys riding in...what a wonderful thing, even if the parents are splurging on other things. And I wouldn't worry too much about what the parents do or don't deserve, and what they will get when their time comes...no parent deserves to go through the agony of having a child that qualifies for Make A Wish.
I agree it's for the child and thats enough. All the other stuff doesn't matter.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:00 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad you did the research, I retract my poll selection, Thanks!

Old 05-14-2008, 04:12 PM
sharkeydude
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess it's between the Foundation and that family. I hope that the kid has a good long life and if it does end sooner than later, I hope that the family was able to spend every moment they could with their child enjoying his life and riding. Maybe riding is the one thing that is easy for this family. Maybe the Foundation saw this as the biggest wish to give. Certainly cheaper than other wishes I've seen but, who am I to judge? I try to put myself in their shoes, I'm sure I may act a little crazy now and again knowing that my child may not have the chance at a great life like I have had.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:14 AM
Dennydp
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

The make a wish foundation is a wonderfull charity.My wife is in the cancer treatment field and years ago I visited one of the patients she did a treatment plan on,a 3 year old boy.The number of young kids there just blew me away,I left thanking God my children were healthy.Granting a kid who is terminal a dream is a wonderfull thing.The sidecar sounds kind of bogus and im wondering about the whole story,maybe the parents are bs you.I wouldnt stop donating anyway,ive seen the smile on a terminal kids face and that is priceless

Old 05-15-2008, 08:38 AM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man

ORIGINAL: sldavis

ORIGINAL: RHPAW

We knowthis married couple. She has a Softail, and he has a Yamajunk that he red-lines in every gear. It got to the point where I won't ride with him. Anyway........they have akid who is mentally retarded. I know what a daily challenge that can be, but she has a noticeable tendency to use this to her advantage whenever it gets sympathy or attention.

He finally got an Ultra.Make-A-Wish foundation is donatinga free, new, matching sidecar for the kid. As soon as it was approved, they went out and bought another Street Glide (now have 4 bikes). None of the other bikes were traded in or sold. Seems like they could have afforded it on their own. Thoughts?
(I guess I would vote #3)
With just a quick glimpse at the Make A Wish webpage, all these questionscan bequickly answered. First off, the child obviously has more going on than being mentally retarded. To qualify, a child must have a life threatening illness or degenerative condition, and this must be backed up by the childs physician. So I would assume this child has a condition that is going to get worse, possibly resulting in early death. Secondly, family income is not a factor with the Make A Wish Foundation. It is the wish of a child that they want to grant, and the family income can be considerable or minimal. So instead of calling these parents low rent, slimebags, etc., and worrying about how many motorcycles they have in the garage, I think you should be saying prayers of thanks that your children, if you have them, are healthy and saying thanks that you don't have to live through what must surely be a hell beyond belief, watching your child die slowly while you can do nothing. If Make A Wish bought the child a sidecar that he enjoys riding in...what a wonderful thing that is, even if the parents are splurging on other things. And I wouldn't worry too much about what the parents do or don't deserve, and what they will get when their time comes...no parent deserves to go through the agony of having a child that qualifies for Make A Wish.
Agreed. Make a Wish is not a need based charity.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:42 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

We knowthis married couple. She has a Softail, and he has a Yamajunk that he red-lines in every gear. It got to the point where I won't ride with him. Anyway........they have akid who is mentally retarded. I know what a daily challenge that can be, but she has a noticeable tendency to use this to her advantage whenever it gets sympathy or attention.

He finally got an Ultra.Make-A-Wish foundation is donatinga free, new, matching sidecar for the kid. As soon as it was approved, they went out and bought another Street Glide (now have 4 bikes). None of the other bikes were traded in or sold. Seems like they could have afforded it on their own. Thoughts?
With just a quick glimpse at the Make A Wish webpage, all these questionscan bequickly answered. First off, the child obviously has more going on than being mentally retarded. To qualify, a child must have a life threatening illness or degenerative condition, and this must be backed up by the childs physician. So I would assume this child has a condition that is going to get worse, possibly resulting in early death. Secondly, family income is not a factor with the Make A Wish Foundation. It is the wish of a child that they want to grant, and the family income can be considerable or minimal. So instead of calling these parents low rent, slimebags, etc., and worrying about how many motorcycles they have in the garage, I think you should be saying prayers of thanks that your children, if you have them, are healthy and saying thanks that you don't have to live through what must surely be a hell beyond belief, watching your child die slowly while you can do nothing. If Make A Wish bought the child a sidecar that he enjoys riding in...what a wonderful thing that is, even if the parents are splurging on other things. And I wouldn't worry too much about what the parents do or don't deserve, and what they will get when their time comes...no parent deserves to go through the agony of having a child that qualifies for Make A Wish.

You kind of sound like maybe the people in question. What parent, that could obviously afford it, go thru a charity that has limited donation resources and funds? Maybe that's the way it isset up with Make A Wish, so what?? I would never ask for any help to provide for my child if I could afford to do it myself. What about the children that may have to wait for their wish to come true, or may never get their wish, due to someone else using up the resources?

I don't care what's allowed, it's wrong, and the parents are douchebags for doing it. I hope they don't have any more kids if this is the way they are.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:46 AM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man

ORIGINAL: DannyZ71

You kind of sound like maybe the people in question. What parent, that could obviously afford it, go thru a charity that has limited donation resources and funds? Maybe that's the way it isset up with Make A Wish, so what?? I would never ask for any help to provide for my child if I could afford to do it myself. What about the children that may have to wait for their wish to come true, or may never get their wish, due to someone else using up the resources?

I don't care what's allowed, it's wrong, and the parents are douchebags for doing it. I hope they don't have any more kids if this is the way they are.
Anyone could have submitted the child's story and request. It did not necessarily have to be the parents. My guess would be that it was not theparents and likely a friend or neighbor.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:53 AM
Gypsylady
-Moderator-"Wench with a Wrench and Queen of Quips"
Received 1,980 Likes on 755 Posts

We have a 25 year old daughter who has Cerebral Palsy. She's not terminal but she will never get better either. All her needs have to be taken care of for her. I wish she could ride with us when we get our new rides. She would love a hack!

That said, anyone who accepts charity when they could afford to do it themselves is nothing but a greedy pr1ck who's using up resources another person really needs.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:00 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: ken thompson

ORIGINAL: DannyZ71

Anyone could have submitted the child's story and request. It did not necessarily have to be the parents. My guess would be that it was not theparents and likely a friend or neighbor.

That's a good point, and highly possible. However, I'm sure the parents could have refused the offer and did it themselves if they wanted.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:20 AM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man

Of course they could have refused. Just like the parents of the kid that got to go to the superbowl, or meet their favorite baseball player, or took a trip to the pet the dolphins. Make a Wish does not in the business of helping poor people. Once you accept this fact you will appreciate what they do and not chastise the people accepting the gifts.

Quick Reply: Is this ripping off the Make-A-Wish charity?