General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DO YOU LET PEOPLE RIDE YOUR BIKE?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 08:04 PM
DesertSpeed
Account Suspended
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: DO YOU LET PEOPLE RIDE YOUR BIKE?

My wife, but only on the back seat.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:10 PM
pdks
Intermediate

I have two insured bikes. Yes, it's nice to have two very different rides, but the main reason I keep two is to have another bike available when an out-of-town friend visits. My brother lives 2100 miles away and he has two too. When we visit each other, we can ride!

The following users liked this post:
DuciDay (10-27-2022)
Old 05-14-2008, 08:16 PM
fireman9513
Road Captain

When I bought my 05 1200 last june I went over to moms house and my buddy was at his moms. I stopped and let him check out the bike, and all of a sudden he started it and took off around the block! No helmet or nothing.
When he came back I told him that pissed me off. Well he wanted his wife to sit on it, hes trying to get her to let him get one.
Then he starts trying to get her to ride it, im like okay this aint funny, no shes not riding it I said, I know you have some experiance but I dont know if she does or not and forget it.
Well she ends up burning her leg on the exhaust so shes glad to get off of it.

A little over a month ago I traded for an eglide classic and he asked me if im going to let him ride it.
I told him NO! Then I told him listen, If you had and accident and got killed i couldnt live with it and if you messed it up I know you couldnt fix it so no I wont let you ride it.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:42 PM
georgiabiker
Road Captain

Nobody. Possibly let a couple of my riding buddies take it out since I know how they ride and trust them.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:44 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have let my son, when he was 18, ride my FXD around the block. He does not have a Motorcycle License or Permit yet, so he really could not go much further. The FLTR is to heavy for him at this point,

He has ridden a dirt bike for years, a very good primer for street riding, the FXD is lowered so the center of gravity is manageable,

My son-in-law has ridden the FXD, and I have ridden his V-Rod, the FLTR has a VERY different center of gravity than the V-Rod,

I would also let a select few riding buddies ride my FXD or FLTR, but at my suggestion, not theirs,

My sister-in-law's husband used to have a EVO Softail Custom, he never offered to let me ride it, and I never asked, just hoped he would offer. After getting the FXD, and showing it to the family, this same guy comes out and asks me to let him take the bike out for an afternoon, I said no,

I have to add that this guy was a one of those that rides to a bar, drinks, then rides to another,plus, each time he asked to ride the FXD he had already had a few Jack Daniels in him, my response was a no brainer,

Old 05-14-2008, 08:51 PM
milt50
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd let my son borrow my sled if he needed to(he has his own).Probably one of my close bros that I ride with.Thats it period.I'd be surprise ed if any of the aforementioned would ask.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:13 PM
bigjames19
Outstanding HDF Member

Just my two brother inlaws they each have a stable of their own so when I visit there is an extra harley in the garage, and when any one visits me there is an extra harley in the garage THATS IT NO EXCEPTIONS!!!!!!!

Old 05-14-2008, 09:48 PM
John Little
Cruiser

My brother has a wide glide and we have traded for short rides. If anyone else wants to ride it, they would have to have a Harley to put up for collateral if something happened and be a damned good friend.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:50 PM
devobail
Outstanding HDF Member

NO!

Old 05-14-2008, 10:40 PM
treeboy97Flht
Advanced

Only my closestriding friendswho have riding experience andI know they will pay for whatever happens to my bike.

Quick Reply: DO YOU LET PEOPLE RIDE YOUR BIKE?