General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DO YOU LET PEOPLE RIDE YOUR BIKE?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 06:14 PM
harley50
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DO YOU LET PEOPLE RIDE YOUR BIKE?

SKIAHH AND TODDT, YOU MISSED THE POINT OF THE POST, BROTHERS

Old 05-16-2008, 07:01 PM
AzDon
Tourer

Years ago, I took a ride with a childhood friend. He had gotten this old rigid 45 flathead rigid chopper with a jockey shift and no front brake. He asked if we could switch for awhile because he was curious about my 650 yamaha, which we both assumed to be easier to ride than his HD.
We were about 50 miles out when he jumped the yamaha's clutch and the thing went straight up in the air. He slid off the back standing and brought my bike right down on the shifter, breaking it internally.
He left on his bike (presumably to get a pickup truck) and bailed out on me.... left me stranded, never paid for the damage, nothing!
My policy now is.... I don't borrow, I don't loan, I don't switch rides... it invites murphy's law!
My son may ride a motorcycle soon, but only after MSF training, and then I'll probably help him buy his own so that he owns any damage!

Old 05-16-2008, 07:10 PM
mstakern
Tourer

Just the two other guys I ride with all the time. One has a Fatboy and the other a Wide Glide.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:49 PM
1Coastie
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I certainly respect everybodys opinions (expecially the ones concerned for the safety of the individual borrowing the bike). Most people here are concerned about their bikes......I just dont get it.......they are just chunks of (hopefully insured) steel. Replaceable. If I allow a friend to ride my bike, and he damages it, if he is a good friend he'll make good on it one way or another. If he dont, he wasn't a good friend to begin with, and I'm probably better off with a wreaked bike and him out of my life. I can honestly say that the people I call friends I trust with my life, why wouldn't I trust them with my bike? If you cant trust your friends.....you need new friends.[&:]

Old 05-16-2008, 07:57 PM
redman53
Elite HDF Member

would let a few of my riding bud's saddle up....but thats a very limited number...

Old 05-16-2008, 08:04 PM
CharlieUPI
Intermediate

No !!!!!!!!![img=http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/8023/ultra2lw4.th.jpg]

Old 05-16-2008, 08:41 PM
badavis
6th Gear

Only a few who I know real well, and have more experience than me. I also know that if anything ever happened they would pay for it. I would never ask to ride someone else's bike. If I wanted to test out a different bike I would demo one at the dealer. I don't want to tell someone I wrecked their bike.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:50 PM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 333 Likes on 225 Posts

SELECT FEW...

Old 05-16-2008, 11:25 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1Coastie

While I certainly respect everybodys opinions (expecially the ones concerned for the safety of the individual borrowing the bike). Most people here are concerned about their bikes......I just dont get it.......they are just chunks of (hopefully insured) steel. Replaceable. If I allow a friend to ride my bike, and he damages it, if he is a good friend he'll make good on it one way or another. If he dont, he wasn't a good friend to begin with, and I'm probably better off with a wreaked bike and him out of my life. I can honestly say that the people I call friends I trust with my life, why wouldn't I trust them with my bike? If you cant trust your friends.....you need new friends.[&:]
Some of you seem to be stuck in the 70's,

Hell, in 1972 I was 20 years old and hada 1968 Triumph Spitfire Sports car and a 1969 Corvette,

Insurance companies these days will raise your rates and/or cancel your policyin a heart beat, with one accident!!!!!

The "Good Old Days" are gone,

If my $20,000.00 plus bike is trashed by a another, I may be liable for the riders injuries and my bikes damage, NOT COOL,

Blame it on the TRIAL LAWYERS, not us poor suckers trying to keep our insurance premiums whithin reason,

Old 05-17-2008, 06:30 AM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40,058 Likes on 13,522 Posts

HA,HA good one,let someone ride my bike?HA HA Here I go laughing again.

Quick Reply: DO YOU LET PEOPLE RIDE YOUR BIKE?