General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Rush slip ons

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008 | 09:55 AM
turczytj
|
Cruiser
Default Installing Rush slip ons

Is there any trick to removing the stock mufflers and replacing them with Rush slip ons or is it as simple as removing the exhaust clamp and replacing the pipes? Is there any sealantor will the pipes just slide off after i remove the clamp on each one (should any sealant be applied to the Rush pipes prior to installation)? Any special tools involved? Anything else I need to know? How long do you think this will take me?

This is my first project on my new Softail Custom and since I am not very mechanically inclined, this seemed like a goodfirst alteration...

thx.

Old 05-14-2008 | 10:11 AM
kingk9
Banned
Default RE: Installing Rush slip ons

ORIGINAL: turczytj

Is there any trick to removing the stock mufflers and replacing them with Rush slip ons or is it as simple as removing the exhaust clamp and replacing the pipes? Is there any sealantor will the pipes just slide off after i remove the clamp on each one (should any sealant be applied to the Rush pipes prior to installation)? Any special tools involved? Anything else I need to know? How long do you think this will take me?

This is my first project on my new Softail Custom and since I am not very mechanically inclined, this seemed like a goodfirst alteration...

thx.
I loosened the clamps, squirted them with JB blaster where they connect,and let it sit for about half an hour. They slid right off. I did apply sealant to my Rush slip ons. Don't know if I really had to, but I read on here it was a good idea, so I did. No leaks. Took me about an hour, but I'm slow. I think you should have a torque wrench, because you gotta get those clamps pretty tight. About 65 Ft. Lbs. if I remember correctly. It's not hard to do it at all.

Old 05-14-2008 | 10:15 AM
porsche911
Novice

Just put them on my Heritage, pretty simple...muffler clamp and two chassis bolts, took some pulling to get old pipes off..initially did 1.75 baffles changed to 2.00 baffles last night, had a heck of a time getting oneof the old baffles out of the pipes... wax em' and enjoy your RUSH!

Old 05-14-2008 | 11:33 AM
grimreaper169
Road Captain

Can you change the pipes without changing the fuel&air mix?

Old 05-14-2008 | 12:15 PM
kingk9
Banned

ORIGINAL: grimreaper169

Can you change the pipes without changing the fuel&air mix?
I did for about a month. Didn't notice any ill effects. The consensus seems to be that as long as you don't change the air filter set up, it's ok. I did end up changing everything out later to get the sucker to cool down some. Rush told me when I bought them, that if you don't go bigger than 2.0 baffles, it's ok.

Old 05-14-2008 | 01:23 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member

As long as you don't mess with the A/C its fine. Rush slip-ons good choice!

Old 05-14-2008 | 02:33 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator

Yeah, they're easy. Got the 2's and didn'tchange anythingelse. I did mine in about an hour and my husband put them on his Road King last night, no problem. You'll love them.

Old 05-14-2008 | 02:34 PM
grimreaper169
Road Captain

And what is the advantage of installing these pipes and where is the best place to get them?

Old 05-14-2008 | 02:36 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator

Great product, well made, that looks and sounds great. Cheaper than replacing whole exhaust and making alot of changes to fuel injection and air cleaner. Have heard the same thing, that as long as you don't go any bigger than 2" baffles, you don't have to change anything. Got mine from Cycle Spot. Hubby got his through J&P.

Old 05-14-2008 | 02:40 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member

I bought my Rush slip-ons just for more sound. Stock pipes too quiet for me.

Quick Reply: Installing Rush slip ons