General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Florida Law (passed) putting Ethanol in our gas

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 04:46 PM
RDM
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Florida Law (passed) putting Ethanol in our gas

It has been 10% in all blends for a while now in our little corner of Florida. I haven't noticed it causing any problems in my 07 SG.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:56 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

In Kansas, you generally have the choice of at LEAST regular unleaded, mid-grade, and premium unleaded. The Mid grade normally runs the same price, or at SOME places a few cents cheaper per gallon, than regular. The trade off, is it is 10% ethanol blended, and I have found that I get a few miles less per gallon, running the ethanol blended stuff.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:58 PM
TXMikey
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't had much opportunity to run non-10% in my bike, but in my car and truck the 10% blend does lower the mileage. I believe it's in all grades of gas, not just regular, and is used as an "oxygenator" in place of MTBE to help with air quality. In the DFW area of Texas, we've had it for some time now, and is primarily put in the summer blends of gas.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:08 PM
Jbbrown73
Advanced

I live in the midwest corn belt, 10% ethanol is all you can get just about. It is for sure all you can get in 91 or higher octane. I have always run it and have never had a problem. On my 3rd Harley now and all is well.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:43 PM
edeluxe07
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the world of "blends":-) I can't remember the last time I bought "unblended" gas...of any kind....

Old 05-13-2008, 05:51 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Since moving to VA and using 10% ethanol I have certainly noticed a drop in mileage, roughly 4-6 MPG difference. Which for me means about a 10% drop on my 05 Wide Glide, I fail to see how it benefits anything.

20-30 miles less per tank is not a small thing.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:53 PM
JKK
Road Captain

thats all we can buy in TX at least in the metro areas

(its not efficient costs too much to make it from corn you put about 08. BTU in to get 1.0 BTU out of harvesting corn ethanol but it helps keep corn prices high)

my 2003 scoot runs fine on it, not sure about long term corrovsive effects

Old 05-13-2008, 06:52 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,761 Likes on 2,530 Posts

My 05 owner manual addresses the issue of ethanol as this." Gasoline/ethanol blends can be used in your motorcycle if the ethanol content does not exceed 10%". I would stay away from the E85 blends. Used it in my 02 FXD while in Wisconsin a few years ago,the fuel mileage dropped and some performance went away.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:02 PM
rydermike
Road Warrior

If it's blended at at station for one grade it will be for all grades of gas. I deliver the crap in FL.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:50 PM
tnelsmn
Advanced

Here in Minnesota we can get pure premium 91 (non ethanal) at select stations. Anything else has corn in it. I try to run non oxygenated fuel in my bike, but can't always get to a station that carries it.
As far as side effects go, you will NOT run hotter. Ethanol produces about 30% LESS BTU's than gasoline, which is why you see lower fuel economy and performance. Less BTU's = less heat.
Ethanol will eat away at anything rubber, hoses, gaskets, ect. I forget what guys use for gaskets in there carbs.
Ethanol has a shorter shelf life than gasoline. Thats not a problem in your car, but in lawnmowers and other engines that sit for long periods of time it likes to break down and gum up. I only run pure in the lawnmower and ect.
Ethanol uses all the same corn that should be used for food, thus raising all our food prices.
The only one advantage to ethanol is that E85 is 107 octane. So it's cheap race fuel right from the corner pump.
I have no faith in the use of ethanol. Just my .02

Quick Reply: Florida Law (passed) putting Ethanol in our gas