General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ethanol damage??????

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 01:19 AM
Hester
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ethanol damage??????

ORIGINAL: Da Gumpmeister

The problem eliminating lead back in the 70's, was a valve lubricating issue, not an octane problem.
One of the problems that removing the lead from the gasoline in the seventies produced was the soft exhaustvalve seats couldn't handle the loss of thecushioning effect of the lead oxide that formed as the tetra-ethyl lead (TEL) in the fuel burned and the valve guides that missed the extra lubrication that the TEL provided. The other was that without the use of TEL to boost the octane of the fuel, automakers were forced to reduce the compression ratios of the engines that they produced. The older cars that had higher compression ratios suffered from the lower octane fuel. Remember how the car used to diesel after you turned off the key? That was because the fuel continued to ignite under pressure when it was hot even though the spark plugs weren't firing. They call it "dieseling" because that is exactly how diesels work - the fuel burns when it is hot enough and under enough pressure, all without spark.

ORIGINAL: Da Gumpmeister

Hester, obviously I am a long a$$ed ways from you, but scout around, and see what the small local airport has. I used to run Avgas High octane for that very same reason. Just a thought. Like I say, do not know what Cal. has for avgas tho. And if available to public. (?) Here in the middle of corn country, we have been using 10% for years. When I can afford it, I stop at the BP in Isanti, and fill up with Racing fuel, they have a pump for it there. BUT get the wallet out. They won't even give me a gallon if Momma flashes them.
Avgas and racing fuel still has the TEL in it. I can get the racing fuel at the pump for twice the price. I don't know about the Avgas but I'm sure I could get it. What interested me in the idea of running the E85 is the super-high octane and the cachet of running a Harley on alcohol. That, and there is a station that sells it pretty close to me.

The drawback is the water and rust. Well, everything isa tradeoff.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:41 AM
doggiedave
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ethanol damage??????

Most of the stations around Houston have 10% ethanol and it does not seem to make any difference for my bike.