General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kansas Cops not biker friendly

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 05:25 PM
Professor
Road Captain
Received 190 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Kansas Cops not biker friendly

Get this. Traveling through Kansas this week on my bike. Riding on leading edge of huge storm that produced baseball sized hail. Doing 80 mph in the middle of nowhere on great highway and little traffic. Local cop--aka Barney Fife--stops me and says: "Did you know you were doing 80?" I said "I knew I was going fast, I'm truying to get ahead of this storm." Then, the guy keeps me on the side of the road for 30 min and the sky is getting blacker. Finally, wrote me the ticket and said slow it down. Then, as Barney was stopping me, another local stopped a young sweet thing cager with a Kansas licesne plate--she was pacing me. It was simple catch and release. Talk about bias.

For all you Kansas law men reading this. That little piece of chump change you will get from my ticket better taste good because it's the last time I'm feeding your greedy little hands. You guys have discretion in a case like this. This guy kept me long enough to let the weather catch up with me. I will ride out of my way to avoid Kansas in the future. I saw more cops than gas stations running through your state. You claim you are the natural gas capital of the world. I think you're the smokey capital of the world. I can spend my gas, food, lodging and tourists dollars in Nebraska or Oklahoma running east to west.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:31 PM
Lopoetve
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Kansas Cops not biker friendly

kansass is a silly state anyway.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:41 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Lopoetve

kansass is a silly state anyway.
Troof.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:08 PM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Should have known this would be another one of those "I was speeding and got a ticket" threads. Oh, the injustice of this world.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:21 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: sleepman54

Should have known this would be another one of those "I was speeding and got a ticket" threads. Oh, the injustice of this world.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:46 PM
05LowRider
Road Captain

I guess none of you have pushed the speed limit to stay aheadof,or get out of, a bad storm?

Old 05-10-2008, 07:10 PM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 05LowRider

I guess none of you have pushed the speed limit to stay aheadof,or get out of, a bad storm?
Not knockin' anyone for speeding, just saying if you're gonna speed why complain about a ticket? As for speeding yeah I do it myself, but you'll never see me come on here and complain about getting ticketed. As for speeding to "get out of, a bad storm" if it's bad enough that I don't want to be in it I'm certainly not going to speed to get out of it.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:25 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: sleepman54

ORIGINAL: 05LowRider

Not knockin' anyone for speeding, just saying if you're gonna speed why complain about a ticket? As for speeding yeah I do it myself, but you'll never see me come on here and complain about getting ticketed. As for speeding to "get out of, a bad storm" if it's bad enough that I don't want to be in it I'm certainly not going to speed to get out of it.
There is a legitimate defense in common law and it applies everywhere in the US. It's called the "Lesser of two evils" defense. No joke.

Say you were going the wrong way down a one-way street, but your reason was that you happened upon a bank robbery in progress, the robbers were shooting at you and your only escape route wasagainst that one-way. You'd have a dimn good argument and probably would be found "not guilty" by almost any jury, right?

In fact, your attorney would probably ask the Court for summary judgement against the citation.

I'd at least write to the judge and make my argument, most respectfully of course, and I'd mention the lesser of two evils as my defense. Judges like law, you know. Who knows - maybe the judge has tried to get away from a storm, too.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:28 PM
Speedy ca ca claxton
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

**** kansas..go mizzou

Old 05-10-2008, 07:35 PM
kwoozn
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably a Memphis fan.........