General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Appointment vs. no appointment

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 07:31 PM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Appointment vs. no appointment

Here is the story. I have always done my own service on all my other HDs. However, I was going to have the 1000 mile service done at the stealership because it is the "right thing to do". So I call and make an appointment and drop the bike off Friday night for service on Saterday. So I drop the bike off and the service guy says " you know your bike is the last in line for service saterday". I said ok, why? He said because they always put the "ride up" people(the people thatjust drop in for service)ahead of the appointments. I say ok, since I was waiting on my ride home I thought I would get into it with this guy. I said arent I the first "ride up" since I am here friday night with an appointment he says no. Any way it gets a little heated, I just let it go because I can ride my shovel all day anyway so I dont care if I am last.

Do you guys dealers put the serivce appointment bikes last and the ride ups first? I can understand why they do this to try to make sure they have a full day of work for the mechanices, but to me, I think the customer sericve sucks. Any ideas?

Old 05-09-2008, 07:39 PM
KSGLIDEGUY
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Appointment vs. no appointment

I have my SG going in Wed for the 1k service. It seems to me that it should be the other way around. I could see if a guy came in off the road in the middle of a long trip and needed to get back on the road asap. Sounds like bad customer service to me.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:46 PM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: KSGLIDEGUY

I have my SG going in Wed for the 1k service. It seems to me that it should be the other way around. I could see if a guy came in off the road in the middle of a long trip and needed to get back on the road asap. Sounds like bad customer service to me.
That is what I said, he said no they even put all the ride up oil changes ahead of the appointment oil changes. I guess next time, I could ride in at 8AM so I am first, but there will not be a next time because I am done with them.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:56 PM
Cheese Head
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the dealership that I use, appointments first, ride ups get in if there is space/time available --otherwise ride ups make an appointment and/or come back.

On a side note, I must be spending too much money at that dealer. The Mrs. and I were in today and they are scheduled to get the bike my wife has been looking for (Dark Blue Pearl Ultra with ABS and security). The build date according to the dealer's computer was today, May 9th. They are expecting it in the shop sometime this week. She put down a deposit and they are going to set up a Sunday delivery next weekend (only day we have available to get back down to the dealer) before we leave for Rolling Thunder. Normally they only deliver purchases Monday through Friday.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:03 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like BS to me. What's the point of making an appointment if that's how they're going to do things? I take it they didn't inform you of this "little policy" when you made the appointment in the first place? The only exception to thisI would acceptis the out of town person, on a trip,in need of repairs. I don't mind giving them the spot to get them back on the road. That's just common courtesy. But to put the appointments behind the ride up guys is just wrong. How far does that go? Do they just keep putting you off until all the unscheduled ride-in's are all taken care of? That could potentially go on for days! I don't think so and I don't blame you for never taking the bike back to them again. I would certainly hope that is not a common policy amoung Harley dealers.

Best of luck!
Steve R.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:07 PM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Intrepid175

Sounds like BS to me. What's the point of making an appointment if that's how they're going to do things? I take it they didn't inform you of this "little policy" when you made the appointment in the first place? The only exception to thisI would acceptis the out of town person, on a trip,in need of repairs. I don't mind giving them the spot to get them back on the road. That's just common courtesy. But to put the appointments behind the ride up guys is just wrong. How far does that go? Do they just keep putting you off until all the unscheduled ride-in's are all taken care of? That could potentially go on for days! I don't think so and I don't blame you for never taking the bike back to them again. I would certainly hope that is not a common policy amoung Harley dealers.

Best of luck!
Steve R.
No, they will get it done the day of the appointment but I will be last. So I am guessing my bike will sit all day and be ready around 5PM. Once they have a full days work of bikes, they will turn the ride ups away. I did get the "screw it, lets ride" freebandana though...

Old 05-09-2008, 08:10 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All the more reason to do your own work/maintenance......Cheaper to invest in the tools and work on your ride than support a dealership that treats you like crap....and if you are good with a wrench you'll be better off!

Old 05-09-2008, 08:13 PM
Cheese Head
Tourer

The more I think about it, the dumber this policy seems. Here is my suggestion. Cancel your appointment. Ride around the block and go back as an unscheduledride up service. You are now the first bike to get serviced instead of the last...makes no sense to me; but, if that is the way they want to play use their policy to your benefit.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:24 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My dealer does'nt do appointments on Saturday, first come first served only.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:28 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member

why make an appointment to be last?

Quick Reply: Appointment vs. no appointment