General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stopped to help a biker today...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Matty64
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Stopped to help a biker today...

First road bike was a 1975 CB360 my brother had a 76 CB360 I had a flat on mine one day and he said to take his to work, I get about half way there and it starts to die I reach down and flip the petcock forward for the reserve and it continues to die, this is at 5 a.m. I go to a farm house and call home my mom comes to get me an drive me to work, find out later his worked just the opposite of mine I had shut the gas off.

Old 05-10-2008, 03:11 PM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bikencycle

Hopefully you mentioned the reserve incase he did not know or was not shown that. It is always good to know where it is and how to rocate it while riding in order to make it to the gas station.
Yeah, I did. He said that he remembered that the salesman had showed it all to him, but had forgotten about it.

Saw him today at the ABATE Toy Ride/Poker run. I was walking by and he stopped me. Introduced me to a couple of his buds and told them that I was they guy that helped him. So, guess he is a good sport that was able to laff at himself enuf to tell his buds what he had done. Even asked if I wanted to ride with them on the run, but I was riding with another friend.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:52 PM
rborsholm
Advanced

Good of you to help him out. It really can happen to anybody. I was doing a bunch of work on my VTX - got it all ready - went out for a ride and it started to sputter and die. Pulled off the road and got it started - half mile later died again. This time I was next to a bunch of guys doing road work. Wondering what the hell I had done to screw up my bike this time I was starting to get a little nervous. Odo reads only 47km, fuel valve was on, what the !@$%^.... Starting to loose it...!!! The the lightbulb goes on - I took the tank off and disconnected all the electrical - odo reset back to zero. Turn the fuel valve to the reserve and starts right up. Felt like an idiot!..

Old 05-11-2008, 06:09 AM
harleydude68
Road Master

ORIGINAL: ChiefGator

I was headed home from work and I saw a guy and a gal on the side of the road.
They were decked out head to toe in new HD gear... paper tags...
Maybe two blocks from the dealership.

I stopped and walked back to them. He is just FUMING... "never shoulda bought a damn used bike...gonna take it back and tell them I don't want this damn thing..." (Evo Road King)

He asked if I would help push it back to the dealer... I said "just a sec, what is the issue?" "It just quit running... sputtered out and died" "It has gas".... "Yup, full tank"....... "is the gas turned on?"............................ blank stare..........................

Flipped the petcock to "ON" and it fires right up... He was sooooooooooooooooooooo embarrassed.

I am just glad I could help him and he not makea fool of himself. I hope the karma thing works and the next time I am about to make myself look like an ***, someone heps me out.

Have a great weekend!

He needs to get the "Turn the gas on Dummy!" helmet sticker. I would normally place a laughing hysterically smiley here but I did the same thing when I first got my FXR. I on the other hand figured it out eventually and the wife was not there and noone stopped to help. I gots to tell ya not any less embarrasing.

Old 05-11-2008, 04:35 PM
Sportsterjeep
Advanced

I did the exact opposite when i bought my ultra. Sales guy went over the bike, then asked if I had any questions. I asked him where the petcock was and he looks at me and says, "it's fuel injected". Duh, I forgot. I've ridden many bikes but this is the first fuel injected bike I've been on. Stupid me.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:14 PM
hdtwice
Road Master

I have two carbed bikes. Several times a year, a friend or relative is visiting and we head out on my bikes. All of my guests have ridden to some degree or another through out the years, but not enough recently to think about the petcock, while I on the other hand commute daily and it's habit, so I don't think to tell them. Several times, couple blocks down the road from my house, we end up pulling over.....

Old 05-11-2008, 07:33 PM
kiltiemon
Outstanding HDF Member

I think I'd have been tempted to say: "HERE'S 'UR SIGN!!!"

God knows I'VE been wearing it long enough!!!

Jim aka kiltiemon (If that was the LEAST stupid thing I've ever done I'd be pleased!!!)

Old 05-12-2008, 01:08 PM
Stixman
Cruiser

I've never made that STUPID mistake.
Running out of gas from neglecting to check the level in the tank. Now that's another story.[sm=loser.gif]

Old 05-12-2008, 01:17 PM
tjbintz
Cruiser

Right on to you Gatorchief; everyone needs a little help now and then, no matter the years of experience or inexperience.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:04 AM
cosmicHD
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

been there....done that. Glad you stopped and helped him.

Quick Reply: Stopped to help a biker today...