General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

totaled heritage insurance company offer

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 06:12 PM
satansoft
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: totaled heritage insurance company offer

its an 06, you might get a little more. But a brand new Heritage isnt that much more, so be happy you got that. Ask them if you can have your add-ons back, exhausts etc etc if their still good and the company isnt paying for them..

Old 05-09-2008, 07:33 PM
pamperedbiker
Novice

Iwrecked my 883 sportster after only having it about a week, bought it used. Everyone said it was repairable, but the insurance guy totaled it out. I made a little over a thousand on the deal, and was happy with it.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:39 PM
ILTim
Cruiser

Rat bike build!!!!

Sounds pretty good, you can buy a new one for 18 plus about 2k in setup/tax. Then again, if thats supposed to include all they offer for accessories it might be a little low.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:44 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not bad at all. They came up with about $500 more than I thought. I would definately ask about a buy back but if it isn't a great deal I wouldn't be upset with the $16.9.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:02 AM
bobbyd3
Tourer

If they are offering you the bikes value then the bike is considered a "Total Loss".

You can ask to keep the bike, they will deduct what ever the buyback price is from the amount they give you. I had a small fender bender in october, but it blew my airbags and cracked the windshield on my piece O'Chit hyundai. Car was only worth 3k at best, so they called it a total loss and gave me $2500, I kept the car and they charged $130 to buy the car back.

So if the bikes in your possesion now, I'd strip the aftermarket/usable stuff of it.
If they have it you may consider buying it back if its not alot. You can strip off what if anything is usable and use on next heritage or sell.

I'd think twice about fixing it up unless you really know what you are doing. I know to many people who bought bikes with salvaged titles fixed up by morons who payed in the end, luckily they are still alive.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:57 AM
RockyTopRider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

well they are wanting 5300 for the wrecked bike. i am really uncertain what to do. i have the bike at home now. as far as i can tellit needsnew forks fenders tank. frame is gouged, but i have found no chips/flakes in welds...

Old 05-10-2008, 06:02 AM
big_al
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would take the money and run!!!!

Have you been to the classified section in the forum lately?
Do you have any idea how many awesome bikes are for sale in there for great prices?

Get the money before they change their mind and let them take the bike too!!!!!

Old 05-10-2008, 07:51 AM
buckeye
Intermediate

Check your local state laws on salvage title procedure. Some states (like GA) require the bike to be repaired to original specs by a licensed repair shop before title will be issued. And quite a few insurance companys don't want to insure a salvage bike.

If you are working on your first replacement quote from the insurance company, argue the price. When my 06 was totalled out they offered me a low ball price. I argued back it was worth more, they brought out a different appraised and the value jumped and didn't cost me a dime more. If you are on your 2nd appraiser, you can request a appraiser of your choice (also your cost) and if the last appraisil is higher, you MAY get more, but generally it is split between the highest and lowest replacement value.

Good luck

Old 05-11-2008, 09:23 AM
Road_Clam
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: buckeye

Check your local state laws on salvage title procedure. Some states (like GA) require the bike to be repaired to original specs by a licensed repair shop before title will be issued. And quite a few insurance companys don't want to insure a salvage bike.

If you are working on your first replacement quote from the insurance company, argue the price. When my 06 was totalled out they offered me a low ball price. I argued back it was worth more, they brought out a different appraised and the value jumped and didn't cost me a dime more. If you are on your 2nd appraiser, you can request a appraiser of your choice (also your cost) and if the last appraisil is higher, you MAY get more, but generally it is split between the highest and lowest replacement value.

Good luck
In NH, when a "salvage title" bike is to be re-registered, you need to bring it to the stateRMV for a inspection, and re-certification before you can move foreward. I am also told, that now insurance companies frown on insuring bikes and autos with "salvage title" status, and really whack you with expensive, andlimitations on insurance coverage.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:41 AM
OD_Cleaver
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a wrecked car. On the advice of my auto insurance agent, I researched thru the internet the cost of similar autos being sold. I put together a letter of explanation along with the facts and sent it to the adjuster.This work took one evening andresulted in a 10 to 15% increase in the settlement offer.

In another accident I had legitmate minor medical problems. As soon as this surfaced, the insurance company stumbled all over themselves getting my vehicle claims settle.

On a third accident (BTW, none of these were my fault.) I could not get the adjuster to move a buck in my favor.

Be professional and courteous.

Good Luck,

OD

Quick Reply: totaled heritage insurance company offer