General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006 | 07:11 PM
RandyD123
|
Advanced
Default What would you do?

I put a $500.00 down payment on a 06 FLHXI Vivid Black, Fuel Injected, Mag Wheel.....Cost $18,540.00 (Not in stock...due in 3 weeks or so)

Now a day later another dealer called me and said I can get the same bike WITH the alarm for $18,340.00. (In stock on showroom floor)

Should I cancel my deal at the first dealer or give them a chance to match the price? I know they are going to be pis*ed off big time. Maybe I should just tell them that I couldn't get financing?

The salesperson said the $500.00 was non refundable but I paid with a credit card and not to mention I believe it's against NH law to keep a deposit. At any rate I don't think the dealership would do that anyway, it's not like they won't sell the bike.

How would you handle this?

Old 02-21-2006 | 07:14 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Default RE: What would you do?

Any good dealer will refund your money. If they don't they know that you will tell all your friends and they will lose sales. I guess the question is, which dealer do you like and trust the most. I would spend a couple hundred extra dollars to buy a bike from a dealer that I trusted over the cheaper dealer that I didn't.

Old 02-21-2006 | 07:29 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: RandyD123

Should I cancel my deal at the first dealer or give them a chance to match the price?

Yes, I would give them a chance to match the price if I liked the dealership and/or the salesman.

Old 02-21-2006 | 07:34 PM
RandyD123
|
Advanced

Ya a couple of hundred I would eat to stay loyal to a good dealer. But we are talking about $475.00.

$275.00 for the alarm and $200.00 cheaper on the overall price.

Old 02-21-2006 | 07:45 PM
UncleMike
Road Master

First I would make sure the offer the 2nd dealer gave was for exactly the same merchandise, them get it in writing and show the 1st dealer and ask him to match it. You can bet that if it's at all possible to match it they will or maybe throw in a few extras. IMO the shopping around should be done prior to a down payment, if I was the dealer I know I would be a little ticked off but do what you gotta do.

Old 02-21-2006 | 07:46 PM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master

which dealer in NH are we talking about ? the place I bought my EG police ,jerked me around so much I'd never walk through their door if they were the last HD dealer in the world , not mention how poorly i was treated by the service manager,when the bike broke down about 25 minutes after i bought it,leaving me stranded road side and they didnt come out to get the bike until a few days later after alot of heated phone calls. maybe I can save you alot of problems and tell you to run from the dealer in question? let me know

Old 02-21-2006 | 07:51 PM
Red
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Maybe I'm from the old school. You made a deal......so you made a deal! Good or bad, you both came to a agreement!

My word is binding. How about yours? You wouldn't expect the first dealer to back out of the deal would you?

Good Luck......

Old 02-21-2006 | 07:56 PM
RandyD123
|
Advanced

I hear that. It bothers me that I jumped the gun on the whole deal. I sent out e-mail for price quotes to 10 dealers. After a couple of days only 2 had gotten back to me. I made a deal with one dealership when I thought that no one else was going to get back to me. MY FAULT

But in the end the dealer is not going to get stuck with the bike....these are hot bikes!!

So it seems so far that I should take the chance and try to get the dealer to match and **** them off or cancel and **** them off.

One other factor is that even though it's about 20 degrees here in NH they don't have the bike yet the other dealer does!

Old 02-21-2006 | 08:02 PM
Snacky
Intermediate

Nobody can fault you for trying to get the best deal for you. I would definantly give the original dealer a chance to match it or let them know you are considering the second offer then go from there.

It would be wrong to just bail on the first dealer without letting them know what's going on.

Old 02-21-2006 | 08:04 PM
RandyD123
|
Advanced

Hehe of course your reply, is what I want to hear. It's not my style to do crap like that though. It is my style to jump the gun and be sorry later!!!!

Quick Reply: What would you do?