General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006 | 08:12 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member
Default RE: What would you do?

I would take the time and go to the dealership that has the bike on the showroom floor and make sure it is what I was looking for and get the quote in writing and take it to the other dealership where you put down the deposit and give them a chance to match it,at the very least get the alarm system thrown in at no additional cost[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 02-21-2006 | 08:51 PM
bay13
Outstanding HDF Member

Maybe I'm from the old school. You made a deal......so you made a deal! Good or bad, you both came to a agreement! My word is binding. How about yours? You wouldn't expect the first dealer to back out of the deal would you?
[sm=exactly.gif]

Lets say there wasn't another bike and the dealer called you and said, you know there was a guy in here that gave us $1000 down for your bike, so we would like to give you a chance to match it or when the bike comes in it's his.

Old 02-21-2006 | 09:11 PM
RandyD123
|
Advanced

Hehe I know but I'm sure it happens all the time. People back out for all kinds of reasons. A lot of times the financing falls through or something happens. It usually turns out that one persons loss is anothers fortune.

At any rate I am going to the dealer right now so I will let everyone know how it turns out.

I am going to try to let them match the deal or at the very least get a free alarm and maybe a free first service.

Old 02-21-2006 | 09:12 PM
2005FATBOY
Cruiser

I agree price isn't everything

Old 02-21-2006 | 09:24 PM
Tinker Bell
Banned

ORIGINAL: bay13

Maybe I'm from the old school. You made a deal......so you made a deal! Good or bad, you both came to a agreement! My word is binding. How about yours? You wouldn't expect the first dealer to back out of the deal would you?
[sm=exactly.gif]

Lets say there wasn't another bike and the dealer called you and said, you know there was a guy in here that gave us $1000 down for your bike, so we would like to give you a chance to match it or when the bike comes in it's his.
You two are joking right? Go to the bad dealer section of the forum and read about how many people have gotten screwed by HD dealers in the past. But that aside, he would be remiss not to try and get the best deal that he can get. You can bet that if the shoe was on the other foot that they sure would. Competition is what makes this country run.

By doing this he will find out a few things about his dealer. How bad do they want his business and how bad do they want to keep his business. This will be a good indicator of how good or bad the service that he can expect to receive from the dealership.

How many horror stories have you heard of where someone has went into a dealership and put a deposit down for a bike that was supposed to be on the way and never got delivered? Waited several weeks and past up many a deal for the bike that never was.

Are both of you absolutely sure that you would just give up $450.00 of your hard earned money?

Old 02-21-2006 | 09:55 PM
Red
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army

ORIGINAL: TM

You two are joking right? But that aside, he would be remiss not to try and get the best deal that he can get.

Are both of you absolutely sure that you would just give up $450.00 of your hard earned money?
No I'm not joking! I research what I want to buy before I open my wallet. I pay cash as I go so it takes some prying to get it from me. LOL... I have never creamed my jeans in excitement over a purchase. When people get emotional or too excited they screw up. If I find a better deal after my purchase it's my fault for not doing what I should have done to begin with. It's not the persons fault I am buying/bought from.

I said my word is my bond and it is!

Old 02-21-2006 | 10:04 PM
gasman
Cruiser

Verify the second dealer's offer and tell the first dealer the truth.You put out an e-mail and you got several responses and this is what they offered. Money talks and bullsh?t walks. IF they value your repeat business and all the mods your going to buy $4-$500 buck won't mean alot to them in the long run.

Old 02-21-2006 | 10:25 PM
RandyD123
|
Advanced

Ok the vedict is in

The dealer was really cool about the whole thing and asked me what would make me happy. ....after busting my ***** about how I should have done my shopping before walking in. I told them that an alarm would make me happy but I really wanted a factory installed alarm.

They said that the bike was coming without an alarm and that if they had to install it after the fact it would cost more. Then offered me $200.00 off the already signed deal. I took it and even though there was still $275.00 still on the table from the other dealer.

I have learned a valuable lesson.

This dealer will get high marks when I get my survey sheet and I told them that.

Old 02-21-2006 | 10:32 PM
Tinker Bell
Banned

ORIGINAL: Red

ORIGINAL: TM

You two are joking right? But that aside, he would be remiss not to try and get the best deal that he can get.

No I'm not joking! I research what I want to buy before I open my wallet. I pay cash as I go so it takes some prying to get it from me. LOL... I have never creamed my jeans in excitement over a purchase. When people get emotional or too excited they screw up. If I find a better deal after my purchase it's my fault for not doing what I should have done to begin with. It's not the persons fault I am buying/bought from.

I said my word is my bond and it is!
Red, thats very noble of you. Its a testament to your integrity. You do the research and you buy emotionless. Not everyone is as skilled at managing their lives and emotions as well as you. But, to insinuate that if he tries to get the best deal that he can get for himself is somehow unethical or that he is compromising his integrity is hypocritical. He's not making a 2 or $300.00 dollar purchase, he is making a $17,000 plus purchase. He would be cheating himself if he does not take the opportunity presented to him to better his deal. If the dealer wants his business they will meet or beat the other offer. They could jump up and down and refuse to give the deposit back to him and force his hand, but that just causes hard feelings between them and their buyer. He buys a bike and takes it else where for service and parts and to buy all of his motorclothes. He then bad mouths the dealership. However if they meet the other deal not only is he happy but the dealership has a client for life. Why would you fault him for trying to get the best deal that he can?

Old 02-21-2006 | 10:38 PM
straitshot151
Tourer

Well im glad your deal worked out for you.Next time do your homework before you sign.Im from the old school and when you shake on a deal its a done deal.My word is my bond and thats the code I must live by.I would have honored the deal no matter how much it would have cost me.But thats just me.

Quick Reply: What would you do?