General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

There are good people

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 02:03 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default There are good people

I carry my wallet in a jacket pocket, but the jacket is ten years old and I now have 12-pack abs that I didn't have when I got it. My wallet is about as bad as a womans purse, stuff goes in but it doesn't come back out resulting in it being about 2-3 inchs thick. So I have trouble zipping up my jacket with the wallet in the wrong position in the pocket. I'm out riding and I stop at a gas station to get a soda and smoke a cigarette. I unbuckle and unzip my jacket while I'm standing there, go to zip it back up, but I needed to move the wallet around a bit so I unzip the pocket and do so.

I forgot to zip it back up. I get home about two hours later and realize I don't have the wallet. It's dusk so going hunting for it before morning is out of the question. I check the messages on the phone just in the hope someone honest found it and there's a message leaving their name and phone number. They tell me I'm welcome to come out and get it that evening even though it would be dark by the time I get there. I had to turn around a couple of times to figure out which house and the third time past they are out in their front yard waving and hollaring at me.

I tried offering them $20 which was all the cash I had on me, but they wouldn't take it. They were not impoverished, but they were poor. They didn't need it in that they weren't so poor they couldn't afford necessities, but they could have used it. They were a retired couple living out in the country and they seemed to want to talk so I figured if they wouldn't take the money the least I could do is be friendly. I ended up visting with them for a couple of hours. They even invited me to stop by and say hello when I'm passing through.

I dropped it on a curve in front of a country store and the owner remembered me going past so they were pretty certain I was a biker. I also look quite the part of a biker. Most are friendly toward me, but I don't think many would invite me into their home late at night. So I thought it was quite refreshing. They weren't taking some terrible chance since they had been through my wallet looking for a way to contact me, but that wouldn't matter to many people. I figure I'll stop, spend some money in the area, say hi to them as I pass through, maybe I'll get a chance to repay the favor someday.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts
Default RE: There are good people

Good story, Thanks!

Old 05-07-2008, 02:12 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow! That was extremely good and kind of them. Glad you were able to get it back.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:25 PM
Amodump001
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good story and great people!

Old 05-07-2008, 02:41 PM
zoopman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes there are good people around. Good story--great outcome! My wife just a couple of weeks ago lost her drivers lisence--keys--credit cards--GAS CARD! and about 70 or 80 bucks cash. She said she thinks she lost it at one of the stores she was at--well I thought the worst and told her to start cancelling the credit cards--gas card etc. the next day we get a call and EVERYTHING was turned in at the store she was at!They never left a name or note--Heck I would have given them the cash just for turning it in as what a freaking hassle it would be to get new cards lisence etc.We are very greatful and would do the same if we found someones wallet or purse etc. as it could happen to anyone.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:48 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member

there are still honest people around, glad you found some. you could snail mail them a gift card for a local eatery.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:50 PM
pscheval
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if everyone tried to be a good person, what a world this would be!

Old 05-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Airywhisler
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great read

Old 05-07-2008, 03:02 PM
wdg
Outstanding HDF Member

yes, there are still a few good ones left.for sure