General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feedback about theft/bike security...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008 | 09:05 PM
mmurray49
|
Advanced
Default Feedback about theft/bike security...

Please comment - I'm about to get my first bike ever next week (A Fat Bob) and would like to hear member comments on the following: Besides the obvious and common sense things bike owners need to do to protect their bikes - what are your experiences and lessons earned others may not know? Here are some areas of concern:

1) Are HD's high(est) value targets for thieves?

2) Lessons learned after bike "jackings" (if that's happened to anyone).

3) Alarm system success/failure experiences.

4) Stupid security mistakes you've seen others make.

5) Things I wish I had (special insurance, AAA, etc) after a theft.

If one tip I didn't consider comes out of this - it's worth asking to me.

Thanks people...

Old 05-06-2008 | 09:17 PM
Todd T
Tourer
Default RE: Feedback about theft/bike security...

Just keep good insurance from a reputable insurer and get gap coverage if you need it. Enjoy the new scoot!

I like my factory security mostly because I hate keys and locks. I just turn it off and walk away with the fob in my pocket most times. if someone wants it they can have it. I'm not going out of my way to lock it with special locks and devices. They're making newHD's every day, is my opinion.

Old 05-06-2008 | 09:32 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member

Use the factory locks, and security systems if you have them, use common sense where you leave the bike, and you'll more than likely be fine...I've never had a bike stolen, and neither have any of my friends I ride with...but the bottom line is, if a PRO thief wants it, they're gonna get it, and being paranoid and spending huge $$ won't help. Relax...

Old 05-06-2008 | 10:00 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member

Get the AAA motorcycle package - your car package won't cover a bike.

At least in theSan Diego area H-D's and cruisers in general in fact are low on the list of stolen m/c's. The crotch rockets by far are a huge majority of m/c's stolen in this area. Maybe other area's are different, but an auto-theft detective has told me this more than once regarding this area. I think he said it's like 90% crotch rockets and 10% of cruisers as far as percentage of stolen m/c's.

Park in common sense places of course. At restaurants I try to park where I can see it. At stores I try to park near the front where it's not in an obscure corner of the lot. Always lock it up andhit the alarm button.

Carry good insurance from a reputable company.

Get the package to cover accessories/custom parts if you have a big investment in those. A standard insurance package usually only covers the bike and bringing it back to stock configuration if I'm not mistaken.

Have fun and relax!

Old 05-07-2008 | 09:05 AM
MyFirstHD
Road Master

If I'm traveling and park in a motel lot,I will use a Xena disc lock with motion sensor and tie a bright orange cord from the lock to the handle bars. Kind of tells them to go jack an easier target.

The Kung Fu master and his student were training in the jungles of China. The student asks what technique the master would use if a tiger attached. The master said he would run.

The student asked if he could run faster than a tiger. The master said he didn't have to, he only had to run faster than the student.

Old 05-07-2008 | 10:11 AM
so165
Tourer

I am going on a roadtrip this Friday andwhen I get to where I am going I will rent a car to park in frontof my bike while at the hotel. If it does get jacked then at least I still have a ride.

Old 05-07-2008 | 10:18 AM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member

I am double insured first by AIG and then as a back up I got Glock.

Old 05-07-2008 | 10:21 AM
bgismo20
Road Warrior

I dont have security at all, I use my locks & I have gap insurance, thats about it...

Old 05-07-2008 | 10:29 AM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator

Read William Queen's, Under and Alone sometime. It will make you want to lock the ignition and fork at least, every time you get off the bike. That's all we do and when traveling, my husband and I have one of the cable locks and we strap and lock the bikes together with that at night. Otherwise, just make sure you have good insurance coverage for the value of your bike and gap insurance if necessary. Enjoy your new bike.

Old 05-07-2008 | 11:24 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member

Save the money on the security system and buy some bling. You ever see anyone do anything (other than be annoyed) when someone's alarm goes off? Lock it, and insure it. If they want it, they will have it, period.

Quick Reply: Feedback about theft/bike security...