General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you know this guy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 09:36 AM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Do you know this guy?

OK...

I have been around here on the Forum long enough to be quite weary of all the 'biker/RUB/poser', '1%er' and 'H-D t-shirt' discussions.

I wanted to kinda take a different direction. One that (I think) could be entertaining.

My question is this:

Do you have examples of friends, co-workers or family members who 'transformed' into a totally different person once they started riding a Harley?

Dress - did they go out and buy a whole new wardrobe to 'compliment' the bike?
Attitude - did they try to act all 'bad-***' once they got the H-D?
Lifestyle - did they get the tattoos? did they join biker 'clubs'? did the wives turn into 'biker chicks'?
Etc.

I guess I'm wondering if you have stories of people (or maybe yourselves) that went totally 'overboard' once that Harley was in the garage.
--

I have said in previous posts that I am not a 'poster child' for the Harley Image... I typically wear a baggy H-D t-shirt...some really baggy jeans and a pair of Air Jordans. I'm not a big fan of the leather/chaps/bandana look...not that it's bad - it's just not me.

I have seen several people go WAY overboard once they got a bike tho...

Old 05-06-2008, 09:55 AM
Jetpat
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Do you know this guy?

Not a Harley...but my brother bought a hot air balloon. Didn't even have his pilot's certificate, but bought one to learn. He ain't been right since he got that damn thing!! That was 2 years ago. Even has a website forhis balloon gang events.

Gotta give it to him, though. Once he got his pilot certificate (andduring the process) his liferevolves around thatballoon.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:58 AM
gjb1952
Road Captain

So does he wear baggy jeans and wear balloon tshirts?

Old 05-06-2008, 09:59 AM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A friend's son got a R/K two years ago. I went over to have a look/be friendly. This guy had on every piece of H-D clothing available at the dealer, I am sure, all shiny new. Gloves, chaps, leather coat, boots, bandana etc., and it was at least 90 degrees out. Not that he was riding in them, he was just standing around. I don't know him well enough to know if he joined anything, but he sure jumped in on the clothing.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:06 AM
irishviking
Cruiser

Why does this matter? Are you trying to justify your own behavior? or do you feel guilty for not changing in some way? Seriously dude live your own life, ride your own ride and stop consuming your yourself with how others look and act. I dont pretend to speak for anyone else but me but lighten up about trying to identify RUB's ect, life is too short, there is a finite number of days you will be able toride in your lifetime, get out and ride!

Old 05-06-2008, 10:14 AM
TwiggyAZ
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Overboard is relative. I worked hard to be able to have some nice things, and while I think that a lot of us are walking billboards and salespeople for HD, on the other hand, I like their quality of clothing, leather, etc. I don't take my bike to my HD shop for any maintenance, and I've never been a conformist, so just because I have a Harley doesn't mean I'm all that. I've ridden many bikes over the years, and I did so because it was fun for me. I always did want better leathers, clothes, etc, and now they have them and I buy them. If I've overdosed, it's because I can finally afford to, and it makes me happy!!

Sometimes I dress outrageously because of the constant big tado about "what is a biker" "how should they dress"...so I have fun with it and wear red cowboy boots, purple pants, pink tops, and red braids on my helmet. Am I a biker? Who cares! I am really having fun with all the new HD stuff, all the progress, all the advancements, and even the stuff that other bike manufacturers make! It's all good IMO>

Old 05-06-2008, 10:14 AM
cray49a
Road Master

Who gives? Let them enjoy something they like for a change. By the way, wearing leathers while riding in hot weather (like the desert - not in town) prevents dehydration andare not any hotter than levis without chaps (until you stop). In addition, levis last 5-15 feet on an asphaultburn whereas leather last 150-175 feet.The point about no azz or frontto chaps is convenience but if you ever got a burn, the very worst place is the knee. Large area you need to have to bend. Scabs crack, they weap liquid, make your bandages stick, and take a long time to heal.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:33 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

After spending several years off a bike,I can't get enough of it - The rides, the culture, the HDforum... I'm a member of the BMWCCA and I rarely hit the bimmer forums. I can't tell you the last time I wore a BMW shirt or hat. I'm sureI will slow down, but so far, no end in sight. A part of me still likes the sport bike culture. I'm a huge Superbike, MotoGP etc. race fan. If I could park a GSXR in the garage alongside my Harley, I would be a happy man wearing all that Joe Rocket stuff... [X(]

I say support the culture - buy all the s**t you can afford and enjoy the ride!

Old 05-06-2008, 10:46 AM
Airywhisler
Road Warrior

I think dressing for the ride is an extention of the bike, whatever you wear, ride safe.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:47 AM
2002flstc
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Well she did not go completely overboard but there has been a change..

You decide....

Before she got her license and a harley

After she got her license and her Harley

Quick Reply: Do you know this guy?