General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TOTAL BS, A Rant about Mobile 1 Vtwin

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 10:47 PM
vicks96
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TOTAL BS, A Rant about Mobile 1 Vtwin

Our local Wallyworld will carry a brand, stop carrying it and then bring it back.......WTF?????????Maybe they will bring it back for ya. Good luck cause it sux to find a supplier and then have them pull the rug out from under ya.
ORIGINAL: ebeattie

So I ride to my local Wally World...much to my displeasure only to find that they no longer sell Mobil 1 Vtwin! WTF I say to myself. Ok, ok, Ill go back to my place and see if I can find some other stores that have it.. Ill pay the price difference. Yeah according to my "search" it appears that NO ONE IN 50 MILES OF MY LOCATION (Orange county CA) sells it!

Now Im no smart guy, but how can you sell a product with out actually SELLING IT? I know that I can buy it online, but that does me no good until it gets delivered to me.

Argg..... very disappointed in Mobil. Awesome oil.... IF you can find it. Might just switch to Amsoil.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:15 PM
Harleypilot
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

My search on Mobil also said there were no retailers around. Checked at Autozone and they carry it. Check their website to see if it is at your local store. Like someone else said, it isn't with the regular oil but on another shelf with lubes and stuff. Ask!

Old 05-05-2008, 11:27 PM
BROWNDOG
Cruiser

Advance Auto has it here but it sounds like different stores of the same name carry different brands, etc.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:38 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Autozone ----top shelve around here.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:43 AM
Mississippi Bagger
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used castrol 20-50 for decades and always been happy with it.

After being inundated for years about how much better synthetic is, I finally tried the Mobil 1 V-Twin. Did not really care for it. Decided to give it a second try, visited 10+ stores, including wally world and auto zone...no Mobil 1 V-Twin, so I got the Mobil 1 15-50. Liked it even less.

Decided to give Royal Purple a try...Only have about 1000 miles on it so far, but I definitely like it better than the Mobil 1. Will see how it holds up...if it does good, then I can have it delivered to my door. If not, then I am going back to to castrol!

Old 05-06-2008, 09:19 AM
SloChicken
Road Master

edit

Old 05-06-2008, 09:21 AM
ebeattie
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

Does the oil we use HAVE to be Diesel certified? I read it in the owners manual somewhere..

Old 05-06-2008, 09:22 AM
SloChicken
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Lord Albany

I'm switching to Amsoil tomorrow. I'm hopping it will quiet down the racket my engine makes. Do you guys have any tips for changing the oil? I think I saw a thread where a guy said drain then fill the engine, ride for about 5 miles, drain then fill again. Does this sound right? I'm switching from HD syn3.

Thanks.
sounds expensive. this isn't a radiator flush you know.

That extra flush will cost you about 40-50 bucks extra for those 5 qts in the drain, or an extra $400 at a dealer (and the bargain basement price of $300 for dino oil).

Just change it "1" time every 3k miles and you will be fine

Old 05-06-2008, 10:31 AM
mongoose
Tourer

ORIGINAL: xcelr8

No reason to beat yourself up over this trivial crap. Any synthetic designed for air cooled motorcycles will work just fine. I use SYN3 because it goes in all 3 holes and I don't care about my transmission.

[IMG]local://upfiles/579/FDE1FDFB90D84440A0C6C41ED72906DD.jpg[/IMG]
Fixed.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:55 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

I have a friend that is an amsoil distributor and he swears by amsoil. I have used HD syn 3 when it was necessary but I prefer mobile syn. I run mobile 1 v twin 20-50 in both bikes in the summer. In the winter I switch to mobile 15-50. I run HD primary oil. HD put that back on the self awhile back. It's made for the primary only and not the engine. In my transmission I run Bel-Ray 85-140, it quiets down a transmission and deadens the thunk shift. I changed transmission lube a week ago and didn't have as much Bel-Ray as I thought. I put HD syn 3 in just to get by. I went and bought Bel-Ray the next day and changed the syn 3 back out. It was that much difference to me. I would just drain the oil good and replace it. That draining and riding and draining sounds like overkill. Just my opinion.
ORIGINAL: Lord Albany

I'm switching to Amsoil tomorrow. I'm hopping it will quiet down the racket my engine makes. Do you guys have any tips for changing the oil? I think I saw a thread where a guy said drain then fill the engine, ride for about 5 miles, drain then fill again. Does this sound right? I'm switching from HD syn3.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: TOTAL BS, A Rant about Mobile 1 Vtwin