General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking Ticket $$

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 07:15 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts
Default RE: Parking Ticket $$

You parked in the wrong spot ,now you have to pay.
Maybe next time bring a flashlight and check for no parking signs.At least you did not get a DUI!

Old 05-05-2008, 07:47 AM
Buddha4
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Was the place clearly a handicapped spot? This is a Q/A for the IA law.

QUESTION: Handicap parking is indicated at all places by a marking on the pavement. Why isn't a visible sign required as markings can be hidden by the snow?
ANSWER: Section 321L.6 of the Code of Iowa states that disability parking spots are required to be identified by disability parking signs.
"A persons-with-disabilities parking space designated only by the international symbol of accessibility being painted or, otherwise, placed horizontally on the parking space does not meet the requirements of the state code dealing with persons-with-disabilities parking spaces," said Dubuque Assistant Police Chief Terry Tobin.
According to the code, the sign must be affixed vertically on another object so that it is visible to a driver of a motor vehicle approaching the parking space.
The state sets forth specific requirements concerning the design and appearance of disability parking signs. All signs must have a blue background and bear the international symbol of accessibility in white.
"If a business is required to provide persons with disabilities parking spaces, the city will provide, upon request, the proper signs to the business at cost," Tobin said.
In cases where the pavement markings of a persons-with-disabilities parking space still remain, but the space has since been abandoned or relocated, if there isn't a sign, there isn't a fine.
"Once the sign designating a persons-with-disabilities parking spot has been removed and only the painted symbol remains on the pavement, the spot is no longer considered an official persons-with-disabilities parking spot and is not enforceable," Tobin said.

I got a ticket for parking handicappedspot.This ws in a remote parking lot and you have to walk past other "non disabled spot" to get to the store. In IL there is clearly defined standards for what defines a handicapped location. There was no sign and no hashmarks near the spot.just an old faded "wheelchair" and the parking lot was resurface since that was painted so you REALLY had to loook hard to even see the old paint.

I went to court and pleaded not guilty. Ticket was dismissed and the States attorneies office sent a letter to the property owner telling them that they had to come into compliance with the law. Here's the rules for IL parking.

I have no probelm with ticketing for illegal parking but just make sure the spot are CLEARLY marked.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:18 AM
mllkn6
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for the clearly marked, if not take a picture to court with you and writea letter to the police chief about the officers attitude and comments. Also about him not ticketing any one else there, just the Harley rider, maybe the others are his riding buddies, the Rice Rocket Club, strangers thing have happened.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:29 AM
kyote
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: goodbirds

By the way, for information for those who don't know, to be legal H/C parking space, there must be a vertical sign with the International Handicap symbol of a wheelchair. The symbol painted on the ground by itself doesn't constitute a legal space. available, and the parking lot owner is responsible for maintaining the spaces.
Exactly what I was going to say.. If you didn't see the Blue sign in front of ya.. I would be fighting that ticket.... There has to be BOTH sign & Paint to be legal...or enforcable....
Also..I am not condoning it.. but when cops try and take advantage of someone who doesnt know they are not in violation.. that isn't fair..
And before anyone gets on my case..my brother retired from the Wis State Patrol.. so I dont have anything against LEO's..

Old 05-05-2008, 08:37 AM
mllkn6
Tourer

About 10 years ago a cop in a small town near home pulled me over one night while I was on my way home after work. I got out an walked back to the back of my truck as the officer approached me. He started off with, asking for my license, registrations, and proof of insurance, as I was handing it to him I asked why he stopped me. He stated my right tail light was out, OK then I ask him what the fine was for a head light being out? He asked why, as he started to walk toward the front of my truck, I calmly stated I wanted to know so when I make a citizens arrest I'd know how much to fine him for his head light being out, as it was. He said it was working when he checked it in his per shift inspection, I said my tail light was working too when I left work. Hetold me to get it fixed, folded his book, got in his vehicle and left. The only time in my life I was able to come to a reasonable agreement with an officer. But the look on his face was priceless as he turned to look at his patrol car and the one headlight. He did give me shi_y grin as he turned to walk away, like I'll see you again. But never any more problems, he never said if he was giving me a ticket or warning either. I stopped at the first auto parts store I came to an fixed the tail light before reaching home too.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:03 AM
Buddha4
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: mllkn6

About 10 years ago a cop in a small town near home pulled me over one night while I was on my way home after work. I got out an walked back to the back of my truck as the officer approached me. He started off with, asking for my license, registrations, and proof of insurance, as I was handing it to him I asked why he stopped me. He stated my right tail light was out, OK then I ask him what the fine was for a head light being out? He asked why, as he started to walk toward the front of my truck, I calmly stated I wanted to know so when I make a citizens arrest I'd know how much to fine him for his head light being out, as it was. He said it was working when he checked it in his per shift inspection, I said my tail light was working too when I left work. Hetold me to get it fixed, folded his book, got in his vehicle and left. The only time in my life I was able to come to a reasonable agreement with an officer. But the look on his face was priceless as he turned to look at his patrol car and the one headlight. He did give me shi_y grin as he turned to walk away, like I'll see you again. But never any more problems, he never said if he was giving me a ticket or warning either. I stopped at the first auto parts store I came to an fixed the tail light before reaching home too.
I would think he would "notice" a headlight. Unless you're actively looking for reflections then a tailight would be easier to miss.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:07 AM
UltraDuke
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the handicapped ******* at the store. thats my only violation of the handicapped area. i agree you were lucky with just 100 buck ticket.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:24 AM
ultraultra
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IF the area was CLEARLY marked as a handicap area, then it's your bad.. even with the other bikes there. But if it WASN'T, then, as others have already pointed out, contest it. The wiseass comment from the LEO about you being able to afford it because you ride a Harley was extremely unprofessional, and shows signs of "***** envy".. he propably has a honda.

Where I used to work, there was a cop who would sit in the same place every day at shift change, and nab people for going over 35 in a desolate place. One day, he made the comment to someone he pulled over that "one of these days, you people at Clark will learn to drive the speed limit". WELL... that was all it took. The guy went to court, and told the judge what he said. The judge looked at the cop as asked if this was correct, and he proudly (stupidly) proclaimed that it was. The judge threw out the ticket because the cop was unfairly targeting a select segment of society... just like they can't sit at a bar and pull people over for drunk driving.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:51 AM
psc
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: UltraDuke

I use the handicapped ******* at the store. thats my only violation of the handicapped area. i agree you were lucky with just 100 buck ticket.
+1...I AM STRAIGHT UP GUILTY AS CHARGED![:-]

Old 05-05-2008, 11:03 AM
Big Peter
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: psc

No isses with your ticket--that one is on you. The problem I have is with the wise *** comment. Recommend a quick letter to Johnny's Commanding Officer, be tactful--admit you made a mistake and willingly will pay the fine but didn't appreciate the commentary and felt it was unprofessional. Thenmail it straight to the top brass. If the agency is worth a shi$ they will at least call in the LEO and talk to him about it--if he has a history, you just might have put the final piece into his jacket resulting in a reprimand or worse.

I currently work for a LE Agency...and all Citizen complaints receive attention and a written response.

Chalk it up to a lesson learned...and press.
Forget a quick letter to Johnny's Commanding Officer
cause Johnny will be on the lookout for you
for the next decade.
But I agree his remark was very unprofessional.

Cops, they're never around when you do need them
(too busy eating doughnuts I guess)

Quick Reply: Parking Ticket $$