Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Countersteering

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 07:37 AM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Countersteering

Streetglide, I only wave exiting right turns.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:53 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: biz44

I dont know about you guys, but for me.....after riding for a long time...like 35 years, I find it very hard to explain or even remember how I perform maneuvers on a bike. Its like sitting here I cant think of how I start a turn. I fully understand the concepts involved, and the physics involved.....it just seems to come so natural for me that there is no thinking needed....it just happens. Its only these threads that get me thinking about the exact body mechanics used when I am riding.....and even then its hard to remember.

Biz44,

A veteran old time rider like yourself, probably not a big deal. It would be like trying to explain the mechanics of throwing a baseball to someone who has been playing as long as you have been riding. However to a newbie, it could be the difference between an accident and a safe ride. When I teach, either RLAP or MSF, I always bring a spare set of handlebars and two cups taped together at the edge, to use as props when explaining it. Like I have mentioned before in other threads, the problem ismost new riders still have a lot of "driving a car" in them, which many of them revert to when the defecation engages the ventilation. And if a person finds themselves too fast in a corner, and tries to "steer out of it" by turning the front tire thinking they will turn tighter, they will run across the road, into oncoming traffic and ride right off the other side.

Same with braking. Withmost bikes, not all bikes, the brakes are separate. And a lot of riders who do not practice braking often stomp the pedal when faced with an emergency braking situation. They stomp the pedal because that's what they do in their cars, and forget about the front brake. This can lead to rear lock ups and all the fun that comes with it, like high siding, and the like.

Sorry I got off topic.A good thing to dois to practice countersteering so that like throwing a baseball it will happen without thinking.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:29 AM
sharkeydude
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's one thing I have been practicing since that thread as well. I took the MSF course and watched the Ride Like a Pro vids and that really explained it alot. I'll add another thanks as well.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:33 AM
wdg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well congrats good to see it helped out folks

Old 05-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Remember, you do not have to counter-steer. There's always the other option,,,CRASHING!

Old 05-03-2008, 11:08 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Something I always tell new riders is that the motorcycle will make curves that you can't begin to think you will make. Have faith lean and countersteer. I tell them the worse thing you can do is panic, lift the bike up and hit the brakes. That the brakes are not always your best friend. Especially if you abuse them at the wrong time.
ORIGINAL: Paniolo

I dont know about you guys, but for me.....after riding for a long time...like 35 years, I find it very hard to explain or even remember how I perform maneuvers on a bike. Its like sitting here I cant think of how I start a turn. I fully understand the concepts involved, and the physics involved.....it just seems to come so natural for me that there is no thinking needed....it just happens. Its only these threads that get me thinking about the exact body mechanics used when I am riding.....and even then its hard to remember.

Biz44,

A veteran old time rider like yourself, probably not a big deal. It would be like trying to explain the mechanics of throwing a baseball to someone who has been playing as long as you have been riding. However to a newbie, it could be the difference between an accident and a safe ride. When I teach, either RLAP or MSF, I always bring a spare set of handlebars and two cups taped together at the edge, to use as props when explaining it. Like I have mentioned before in other threads, the problem ismost new riders still have a lot of "driving a car" in them, which many of them revert to when the defecation engages the ventilation. And if a person finds themselves too fast in a corner, and tries to "steer out of it" by turning the front tire thinking they will turn tighter, they will run across the road, into oncoming traffic and ride right off the other side.

Same with braking. Withmost bikes, not all bikes, the brakes are separate. And a lot of riders who do not practice braking often stomp the pedal when faced with an emergency braking situation. They stomp the pedal because that's what they do in their cars, and forget about the front brake. This can lead to rear lock ups and all the fun that comes with it, like high siding, and the like.

Sorry I got off topic.A good thing to dois to practice countersteering so that like throwing a baseball it will happen without thinking.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:12 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Better watch out now......it sounds like within a few days you will be dragging you knee around every corner!

Old 05-03-2008, 12:02 PM
PhoenixClassic
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The other thing that the MSF course teaches you is to look where you want to go, and I think senior riders do this as habit, where more junior riders look at the danger, and the bike tends to head towards the danger. Gotta trust your skills.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:52 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I learned growing up on dirt roads how to countersteer bikes,and assumed everyone else knew how to do it.Good luck, it does make you a better rider.

Old 05-03-2008, 01:32 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

OK, good for you Dixie Dreg. Now a question. Ever since I began seeing the pic of your lowered bike, I figured I would lay it over on the pipes or something and go sliding out on the low side.

With your new countersteering, are you beginning to drag anything? With my stock height bikes, I still drag "stuff" all the time, especially floorboards/pegs and the muffler bracket.

Scares me just looking at it. ??

Quick Reply: Countersteering