General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSF class on your bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008 | 09:30 PM
Rockrat
Cruiser
Default RE: MSF class on your bike

Just finished the BRC this morning and did the ERC this afternoon. I would use their bike for the BRC. We had Yamaha tw200's. Real tiny compared to my heritage, but learned alot on it that I could use with the big bike. Don't think I would have wanted to do it on my heritage, but I only have ridden a Harley for 600 miles. If you have more experience and feel comfortable, its your decision.

Old 05-04-2008 | 09:51 PM
tripwire759
Road Warrior

Don't do it. Use the Honda they provide. I watched a guy dump his bike during my course and I wanted to cry. He did. They also has one other sport bike overheat.

Also military guys, where are you at they they don't provide bikes? I went to one on Hurlburt Field and they had a bunch of bikes and getting more. (Army on an Air Force Base...maybe that's why)

Old 05-04-2008 | 11:02 PM
Draxs
Advanced

I have been riding since 1965. I've never gotten an endorsement nor have I ever taken a riding course. The way I look at things, I never took a course to learn how to ride a bicycle and my first motorcycle wasn't much more than a bicycle with 5 HP.

However, if I was to take a course I would much rather use the training facilities equipment than use my own.

Old 05-05-2008 | 11:06 AM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member

When I took the course at Camp Pendleton back in the early 80's you rode your own bike. When I took the test at the local DMV (they still gave them there back then) I had a friend ride his 440 kawasaki over so I didn't have to take my Super Glide thru their course and try to fit that big bike thru all the tight turns and cones. It was like night and day riding that little bike after being on my Glide for so long. Good luck with your class.

Old 05-05-2008 | 12:12 PM
ssbogger
|
Advanced

ORIGINAL: myzen

In my opinion, I would not use my own bike for the BRC, get comfortable doing some of the techniques on a trainer bike (such as the two u turns in a 24 ft box). I have seen many people with experience have troubles doing some of the exercises.

The ERC does have you use your own bike, but the exercises are different (to an extent).

Well I just finished the course yesterday and it wasn't that bad. I could see how it would be hard if you've never been on a bike before but I had put on about 300 miles before this class.

It really helps with low speed manuverability and I guess high speed stuff I'll learn on the road because you can't practice it that much in the class.

There were 6 people at the class out of the maximum 12. 4 out of the 6 had their own bikes and the other two used 250 hondas. Only one person dropped their bike and she did it twice. Once duing the u-turn figure 8 exercise and one time she forgot to put down here kickstand.

I learned some and got better for sure but I still need to practice on the open road. I did every exercise correct the first time through and even got the figure eight inside the solid lines meant for bikes under 500cc's.

I learned that my bike is more nimble at slow speeds than I thought. I actually would reccommend taking the class on your own bike as long as you are decently comfortable on it.

Old 05-05-2008 | 12:27 PM
albertasaurus
Road Master

Glad to see you made it through with no problems, and on your own bike! Was there really any doubt?

Did they really only have 2 bikes available for the students?

Old 05-05-2008 | 07:19 PM
beepo
Tourer

Here in PA both courses are free, and successful completion gives you your M endorsment. I took the ERC last Sunday (almost seven hours) and was surprised at just how much work it was. That's a long time putting around a parking lot, and I imagine it's quite a bit easier on one of their bikes. Having said that - I don't think panic stops andfigure 8'son a toy bike would have been that much help to me as a relatively inexperienced Fat Boy owner.

Great course though. Wish I would have taken it sooner.

Old 05-06-2008 | 06:47 AM
ssbogger
|
Advanced

ORIGINAL: albertasaurus

Did they really only have 2 bikes available for the students?
Yep

Old 05-06-2008 | 10:11 AM
Merlin
Road Captain

CONGRATULATIONS!

Now that you have your endorsement I would recommend kicking your riding skills up a notch.
Order the Ride Like A Pro dvd, watch it a few times to be able to understand the riding techniques.

http://ridelikeapro.com

Best money you can spend on your bike. IMHO

Do you have engine guards?
Wrapsome water heater hose around the engine guards and PRACTICE!

Don't be afraid to drop your bike, it will be fine.
I've done the RLAP exercises and yes, in the beginning, I dropped it a few times.
With the heater hose around the engine guards I never got a scratch.

Again CONGRATULATIONS!

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

Be a better, safer rider!

Ride Safe, Be Safe and keep your eyes on the horizon.

Old 05-06-2008 | 03:03 PM
ssbogger
|
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Merlinii

CONGRATULATIONS!

Now that you have your endorsement I would recommend kicking your riding skills up a notch.
Order the Ride Like A Pro dvd, watch it a few times to be able to understand the riding techniques.

http://ridelikeapro.com

Best money you can spend on your bike. IMHO

Do you have engine guards?
Wrapsome water heater hose around the engine guards and PRACTICE!

Don't be afraid to drop your bike, it will be fine.
I've done the RLAP exercises and yes, in the beginning, I dropped it a few times.
With the heater hose around the engine guards I never got a scratch.

Again CONGRATULATIONS!

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

Be a better, safer rider!

Ride Safe, Be Safe and keep your eyes on the horizon.
I actually read some stuff on that website and that helped me alot with this class. I learned about the slow race and how if you give it a little gas when it feels like its tipping it will stand right back up.