General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSF class on your bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008 | 03:41 PM
MarkandMary
Road Captain
Default RE: MSF class on your bike

+1 on their bikes, good luck

Old 05-02-2008 | 03:47 PM
bgismo20
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: barjbar

Yeah that's what I meant. He can't ride it to the class. All classes here in Michigan provide the bike.
Taking an ERC tomm at washtenaw Community College, take it every few years for update

Old 05-02-2008 | 03:54 PM
redman53
Elite HDF Member

Use their bike...if you drop it they gotta fix it...if you drop yours, you gotta fix it...$$$
As someone mentioned earlier the course is set up for a smaller bike...or at least it was when I took it....don't know that I would have wanted to try it on my bike at that time.

Old 05-02-2008 | 04:33 PM
Calicruiser
Cruiser

If this is truly the beginner course, I didn't think you were allowed to use your own bike, at least not in California.

Old 05-02-2008 | 05:13 PM
airdog
Cruiser

I think its pretty lame that the course instructor wants you to bring your own bike. even an 883 is going to feel large compared to the little and nimble 250's. that being said, i think you'd do ok on a beginner's msf course. you would quickly be doing anything you learn on your bike that you learned on a 250, even if you stepped up to a larger bike later.

i drove my suzuki 800 to class, got on a 250, then rode my bike back home again at the end of the day. at that time, i didn't know if i could do a u turn as taught in the msf course, and that to me was the hardest part.

of course, when you give it the gas going through the turn scenarios you're liable to scoot right through so fast, you'll 'have' to do it again

have fun and be safe,

airdog

Old 05-02-2008 | 05:27 PM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: Calicruiser

If this is truly the beginner course, I didn't think you were allowed to use your own bike, at least not in California.
You can use your own bike in CA. They don't give you a discount though. The only reason it could be an issue legally is if thier insurance has an issue.

If they provide motorcycles to other students, and you paid the full cost of the course I would complain. Especially if you you have limited experience a 250 lb bike and a 750lb bike are 2 different worlds. I actually rode to my course on my bike, then used thiers for the course, then rode home on my bike

All of that being said I took the ERC on my Deluxe and actually did much better, but I also had more experience. Will likely do a course on the Ultra...but probably not until I get back from my vacation.

Old 05-02-2008 | 05:41 PM
MATUCHI
Road Master

I have never taken the MSF course, but from what I have heard, you should use their bike. As some have already stated, if you drop your bike, you will have to pay to get it fixed. A few years ago I took a racing course that let me use my own bike just so I see how far I could push my new BMW R1150RT, it rocked! Something about doing 100 mph with other riders only inches away builds up your confidence. Until you get there, use their bike!

Old 05-04-2008 | 08:11 PM
trmac
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I took the BRC on a military base - it was free but you had to provide your own bike (either yours or borrowed). If you're paying for the course they should be giving you a reduced rate as their fees include the bike. I did it on my 05 883C and had no mproblems and I was a new rider with a total of 35 miles in my neighborhood on it before the class. As long as you've been riding it and listen to the instructors, it'll be a piece of cake and you'll have a blast.

Old 05-04-2008 | 08:16 PM
ConnMan
Road Master

After taking the MSF/Rider's Edge course, no way would I ever use my bike. The first day "friction zone" clutch excercizes will incinerate your clutch. Don't do it. For what it's worth, they had seven bikes for six riders.

Old 05-04-2008 | 08:50 PM
myzen
Road Captain

I am a Certified Rider Coach for the MSF. It is not illegal to use your own bike for the class. In fact in Rider Coach training, there is a whole section decicated to riders using their own bikes. The chief instructor frowned upon riders using their own bike but he said "If they insist on using their own bikes, then MSF states you must let them." It then become a catch 22 because of them riding their bike to the class without their motorcycle endorsment.

In my opinion, I would not use my own bike for the BRC, get comfortable doing some of the techniques on a trainer bike (such as the two u turns in a 24 ft box). I have seen many people with experience have troubles doing some of the exercises.

The ERC does have you use your own bike, but the exercises are different (to an extent).

Quick Reply: MSF class on your bike