General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSF class on your bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008 | 11:01 AM
Cats RKC
Advanced
Default RE: MSF class on your bike

I took the MSF course at Maxwell AFB, AL when I worked there. It was required before I could ride on base and I have to have it to ride on Ft. Rucker, AL where I work now. I just don't have to take it again. Anyway, when you do it at MOST military posts you have to use your own bike. Mine is a 2001 RKC and I was the only one in the class that didn't have any points deducted in the riding test. Everyone with smaller bikes (including one guy with a Honda scooter) had to put thier feet down on more than one occasion. So it's not bad taking it on your own bike.

Old 05-02-2008 | 11:38 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member

If it's the beginner course, you can't legally ride your bike. I'd complain.

Old 05-02-2008 | 11:45 AM
pnut883
Advanced

ORIGINAL: barjbar

Why is it illegal?

Old 05-02-2008 | 12:03 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: pnut883

Why is it illegal?
It's not illegal if he trailers it there...Illegal to ride it there without endorsement.....

If you need the course for your endorsement you should do it.. The beginners course is simple, I doubt you will drop your bike if you've been riding any.

Now the fees: Down here the beginners course is $175.00 using their bike. The experienced course is $85.00 using you own bike. I would negotiate the price using my own bike, otherwise it sounds as if the course is full,you may have to wait for the next one scheduled...

Old 05-02-2008 | 12:15 PM
ssbogger
|
Advanced

Why is it illegal?
Yeah why is that illegal?

It says this on the website under FAQ's:

"Q: Do I need a motorcycle to take the course?
A: Yes. At this time we do not supply motorcycles."

I didn't read this until this week.

I don't want to jinx myself but I feel that I have decent control of my bike, at least enough to take this course with it. I've put close to 400 miles on it since I got her 3 weeks ago. I can make a u-turn on a two lane road without putting my feet down and I can stay upright going while going under 5mph all day.

I'm really taking this course to make sure I know as much as I can before really diving into this world.

Anyway, maybe I'll express some concern over me using my bike and I'll ask for a discount or something.

Old 05-02-2008 | 12:17 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member

Yeah that's what I meant. He can't ride it to the class. All classes here in Michigan provide the bike.

Old 05-02-2008 | 12:18 PM
ssbogger
|
Advanced

I wonder what he would have done if I didn't have a bike? Make me trade off?

What if I did have a bike but had never ridden it? Would he expect me to 'try' and ride it to the class in order to learn how to ride it? I hope to hell not. That would be like trying to make an omlet before the chicken lays the eggs.

Old 05-02-2008 | 12:20 PM
ssbogger
|
Advanced

ORIGINAL: RoadKingRon1

Why is it illegal?
It's not illegal if he trailers it there...Illegal to ride it there without endorsement.....

If you need the course for your endorsement you should do it.. The beginners course is simple, I doubt you will drop your bike if you've been riding any.

Now the fees: Down here the beginners course is $175.00 using their bike. The experienced course is $85.00 using you own bike. I would negotiate the price using my own bike, otherwise it sounds as if the course is full,you may have to wait for the next one scheduled...
I already have my permit (SC) so I am legal to ride on the roads from 6am-8pm for the next 160 days. I think I will just try and negotiate the price.

Old 05-02-2008 | 01:07 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member

useing your bike gives you practice that is usefull. use their bike and go home to a heavy sled that seems very odd to you. practice with what you ride and get better.

Old 05-02-2008 | 03:15 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior

I would say no since part of the fee is rental of a bike for the course.

Quick Reply: MSF class on your bike