General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A$$holes without insurance

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008 | 02:00 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: A$$holes without insurance

The real issue that everyone refuses to deal with is people operating vehicles illegally.

It seems that here in the US it does not matter if one has a suspended or revoked license or has no insurance or is drunk behind the wheel. If that person is going to drive there is nothing to prevent it.

We can all sit here and wring our hands about it or we can tell our legislators we want something done about it. No, higher fines or jail time is not the answer in my opinion.

Old 05-02-2008 | 03:03 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: AK_Hog_Herder

The real issue that everyone refuses to deal with is people operating vehicles illegally.

It seems that here in the US it does not matter if one has a suspended or revoked license or has no insurance or is drunk behind the wheel. If that person is going to drive there is nothing to prevent it.

We can all sit here and wring our hands about it or we can tell our legislators we want something done about it. No, higher fines or jail time is not the answer in my opinion.

Soooo, what is the answer????

Old 05-02-2008 | 03:03 PM
Gooseneck
Advanced

When I was young I got hit by a guy that pulled out without looking and I had about 2 seconds to make the decision to jump.I was going about 55 at the time and kept thinking as I was flying through the air,This is going to hurt.I broke my arm in 5 places when I landed and my leg and ankle.He got DWI and possesion of ounce of weed.I was out of work for a year with my injuries and he got three hots and a cot.He had no insurance and I got a ticket that was later dismissed for not carrying my card.I showed up in court on crutches and the judge said he did what?wrote you a ticket at the hospital?

Old 05-02-2008 | 03:07 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: jefnightrain

Where I live, we are over run with immigrants, probably mostly illegal. When they have an accident that makes the paper, about 100% of the time they don't have a license so I am sure they don't have insurance. I think the best case would be just to go around later at night & set their car or truck on fire. at least it would keep them off the road.
With them in the vehicle!

Old 05-02-2008 | 03:19 PM
powaypete
Road Master

It should be manditory that the insurance companies let the DMV kow that the insurance has lasped or renewed. DMV then sends out hounds (aka repo people) to take the car and not released until insurance is instated. If SOB has a suspened license, then he has a suspened car (impounded).

Dang, talk about creating jobs, there you go.

Old 05-02-2008 | 03:32 PM
TXMikey
Advanced

In my area, a lot of cities are starting to fight back on the uninsured driver issue. If you get pulled over for any reason, or are involved in an accident that the police respond to, and you cannot provide proof of insurance, your car gets towed; no if's and's or but's. In order to get your car back, you have to provide proof of insurance and pay all the towing and storage fees.

Texas has a mandatory insurance law as well, but about 25% of the drivers on the road are still uninsured. The racket is they will purchase insurance, get the proof of insurance card, then cancel the policy. There's also a big market in counterfit insurance cards.

If you have uninsured motorist coverage on your own policy, file through them and let the insurance company go after the uninsued person. They have a lot more resources to use to try and get them to pay than you may have. Plus, you will have to pay the court costs of any suit you file because the other guy probably has no money.

Old 05-02-2008 | 03:37 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: powaypete

It should be manditory that the insurance companies let the DMV kow that the insurance has lasped or renewed. DMV then sends out hounds (aka repo people) to take the car and not released until insurance is instated. If SOB has a suspened license, then he has a suspened car (impounded).

Dang, talk about creating jobs, there you go.
In CT insurance is mandatory, although the minimum limits are ridiculously low.

You need to show proof of insurance to initially register a bike or car.

You do NOT need to show proof of insurance to renew registrations.

The Insurance Cos are required to inform the state DMV of insurance cancellations and non-renewals.

The state DMV does NOTHING with that info.

So, people get insuranceto register the vehicle then cancel afterwards and drive/ride uninsured.

What a crazy system!!!

Sammi

Old 05-02-2008 | 03:38 PM
MarkandMary
Road Captain

If someone pulls out in front of me I hope I can't get to my Glock beforei pass out or something, and God help him if he pulls out in front of my wife. Stupid bastar* deserves to be shot.

Old 05-02-2008 | 03:43 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

Oh, the irony. After reading all the 'everyone should have insurance and those who don't are SOB's, etc' types of responses, it wasn't too long ago where LOTS of forum members so proudly came out and claimed that they rode sans a license. Thereby meaning, no motorcycle insurance in turn. The very SOB's you guys claim are 'out there' are well represented 'right here' on the forums. That is, as it relates to no license/insurance, et al. Just food for thought.....

Old 05-02-2008 | 04:00 PM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp

What it is beginning to sound like, is that if you want to do somebody in, make sure everything you own is in someone elses name, just lay in wait for the person ya want to do in, ram them as hard as ya can with an old beater truck, then just claim ya didn't see him and ya have no insurance.
Great country, right?

Quick Reply: A$$holes without insurance