General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running Vance and Hines Quiet baffles?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 02:58 PM
ebeattie
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Running Vance and Hines Quiet baffles?

Definitely check your baffles then, cause once the fiberglass burns off, your bike will run like crap! Ask me how I know.

Switched to regular baffles, but thought Id pass the good word onto u Q-baffles users.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:26 PM
Pitts2112
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Running Vance and Hines Quiet baffles?

How many miles when you noticed? I just put a set on about 2,000 miles ago so would be interested to know when I need to have a look.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:32 PM
rick
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Going on over 3,000 on mine w/quiet baffles and no problems here?

Old 05-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Booey424
Grand HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How do you tell what baffles are in there?I have baffles in the straightshots but I have no idea what kind they are.The look like rows of fins in there.You can still put a broom handle all the way to the bend though.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:45 PM
Marsh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Q baffles are not straight through. They have a plate that would not allow a broom or anything else solid to pass through. I installed them in my pipes and noticed a difinite loss in power. Out they came. I found them to be too restrictive.
Marsh

Old 05-01-2008, 08:27 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,535 Likes on 930 Posts

The V&H quiet baffles I've seen are the same as regular baffles, open in the middle, with fiberglass wrapped around the outside.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:15 PM
ebeattie
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

I ran mine for about 5000 miles. Ran it with other Stage on goodies like the SCreamin Eagle Intake and SERT. They are pretty much like glass packs for hot rods, over time the heat and occasional flame will burn them out.

Took them out and noticed my bike had alot more punch to it. But the Q baffles are designed to work like normal, but kind a miss the mark. IMO they only lessen the sound a tiny bit.

The fiberglass is actually very import to keeping perfomance in the bike. They way the Fiberglass is wrapped around the mesh helps keep the exhaust flow up. Once it burns out, the flow characteristics are all screwed up.

Golf blues, in the pic, where the orange arrows are at there is a cap in front of that baffle that forces the exhaust to go throught the circular holes in the side.

Booey, your running the normals if you can stil the broom that far.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:45 PM
Hughey79
Tourer

Interesting that they didnt last that long. I am very happy with mine so far. They sound alot better. Any reason not to re-wrap them and put them back in? What exaclty did you notice that made you think it was bad?

Old 05-03-2008, 06:02 AM
BLade1127
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm actually going back to the standard baffles myself. I did enjoy the deeper sound of the QB's, but they were too quiet for my taste.

Old 05-03-2008, 06:19 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Hughey79

Interesting that they didnt last that long. I am very happy with mine so far. They sound alot better. Any reason not to re-wrap them and put them back in? What exaclty did you notice that made you think it was bad?
You can just remove them and wrap them again with the baffle material. I am not sure if V&H sells the baffle wrap, but I am sure you could just use the generic equivalent.

The thing is though.....when I bought my V&H Big Radius pipes for my Softail, I dont think the stock V&H baffles had any wrap on them. I removed them after a few weeks and installed a set of Big City Thunder "Thunder Monster Baffles".....they are much smaller and somewhat louder than the stock V&H.

Quick Reply: Running Vance and Hines Quiet baffles?