General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 07:44 PM
medic4.life
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice needed

hows it going everyone,
I just picked up my permit, and got insured and everything taken care of. For now i own 08 sportster my first bike, and i love it cuz its easy to handle, comparing to my dad's old shovelhead. Something to practice on, and get better on riding. I was wondering bout the skills test, and wanted to know does anybody got any tips?
Like what would be the best way to practice on low speeeds? Are their anyways to setup a home course to practice your skills?
thanks

Old 04-30-2008, 08:09 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: advice needed

get a cheap dirt bike you master the mud youll find pavement and bie controll easy

Old 05-01-2008, 02:56 PM
Erdnase
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find a motorcycle operator training program near you. In Texas if you pass the course it takes the place of taking the DOT test. Even if you don't use it to get your license it worth every penny. Harley offers them for nearly twice the cost of independants. Good luck!

Old 05-01-2008, 03:09 PM
TXMikey
Advanced

Congrats on your new bike!

Like Erdnase says, take the MSF safety course. They will take you through all the maneuvers, and in many states passing the course waives the skills portion of your motorcycle licensing test. The course will also give you a handout of how to set up a practice course in a parking lot to practice.

If you know where some of the courses are held, you can sometimes go to those parking lots when the course isn't being conducted and use the markings on the pavement to practice slow speed maneuvers.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:12 PM
Chambeaux
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 92 Posts

Years ago before I got my license I rode up to the driver's facility on a Sunday and rode around the testing area. It helped to get the feel for the real test.

Even once you get the license DO NOT PUSH yourself. Take it slow. Neighborhood streets. Slow streets. Take time and keep safe.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:49 PM
krusr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some folks may say taking a MSF course is a waste of time and money but Irode for over 25 years thinking I knew how to ride. Got pulled over and ticketed for no MC licence so I took a course.
I could not believe how much I learned orI should say, how much I didn't know.
Do yourself a favor a take one, you'll be glad you did,

Krusr

Old 05-01-2008, 04:23 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: medic4.life

hows it going everyone,
I just picked up my permit, and got insured and everything taken care of. For now i own 08 sportster my first bike, and i love it cuz its easy to handle, comparing to my dad's old shovelhead. Something to practice on, and get better on riding. I was wondering bout the skills test, and wanted to know does anybody got any tips?
Like what would be the best way to practice on low speeeds? Are their anyways to setup a home course to practice your skills?
thanks
For slow speed excercises get a copy of Ride Like a Pro.

After you take a good beginning rider course.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:35 PM
fiend138
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know my states motorcycle hand out shows the test coarse with all of the dimensions. If you don’t take a class or anything and want to practice it you should be able to set one un in a parking lot some ware.

Also just relax its really easy. But when I took my test only 3 of 12 passed, they rode too stiff and nervous, or maybe they couldn’t ride. I really enjoyed the guy in full Joe rocket leathers whisky throttling out of a corner and watching the instructor dive out of the way. Good times

Old 05-01-2008, 05:26 PM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member

There's several riding courses offered on VHS and DVD you can find on the net or in MC magazines. You can purchase orange cones from the store cheap or use tennis ***** cut in half to set up an obstacle course. I've done this with friends just to test my own riding skills and it'slow pricedfun.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:32 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

go out and find a guy like me,,, that would love to show you the ins-n-outs,,!
theres tons of us out there,,, hang out and ask a few of us.

what about your dad?

Quick Reply: advice needed