General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: advice needed

MSF course would be a real good place to start.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:32 AM
cray49a
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my mc license expire in 96. I didn't know. The DMV made metake the rider's test. I was ridingan old school chopper with way-forward controls and16" apes.

Just getreal used to doing tight circles each way and weaving between 6 foot marks. You'll be fine. But the best is a course - of course.

Good Luck Bud!

Old 05-02-2008, 10:15 AM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member

ABATE here in Colorado was great

Old 05-02-2008, 10:28 AM
landest
Road Warrior

Like others have said, Ride Like A Pro DVD, MSF Course..., but if you want to practice on your own... I'll tell you what I did when my son started: we went out to an empty parking lot with some chalk sticks (the fat ones that kids use) and marked out some exercises. Stop lines, sharp curves, weaving guides, etc. I just had him practice for a month. It will help if you have an experienced rider observe and give tips.

Their is no magic. Time in the saddle is the only cure...

Old 05-02-2008, 01:09 PM
BWLucky13
Road Master

I sold a bike to one of my buddies and told him to 1-get a helmet and 2-take the MSF course. He couldn't wait and did just what you are describing. All he remembers was the thumpa-thumpa-thumpa sound when the LifeFlight chopper set down. He lived, but won't ever ride again. It didn't help that there was an experiencedrider with him.

A Sportster is a terrific bike and a terrible choice for learning to ride. If the MSF instructor says you are ready to practice on a Sporty, then you are ready to give it a whirl. Whatever you do, keep safety #1.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:01 PM
landest
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: BWLucky13

I sold a bike to one of my buddies and told him to 1-get a helmet and 2-take the MSF course. He couldn't wait and did just what you are describing. All he remembers was the thumpa-thumpa-thumpa sound when the LifeFlight chopper set down. He lived, but won't ever ride again. It didn't help that there was an experiencedrider with him.

A Sportster is a terrific bike and a terrible choice for learning to ride. If the MSF instructor says you are ready to practice on a Sporty, then you are ready to give it a whirl. Whatever you do, keep safety #1.
Glad you have that much faith in the course.Don't get me wrong, I think the course is a good thing but, it is no substitue for practice. My point is:

Get out and practice, then do it again and again until the skills become automatic.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:27 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: krusr

Some folks may say taking a MSF course is a waste of time and money but Irode for over 25 years thinking I knew how to ride. Got pulled over and ticketed for no MC licence so I took a course.
I could not believe how much I learned orI should say, how much I didn't know.
Do yourself a favor a take one, you'll be glad you did,

Krusr
I must attend a MSF course every three years to ride my scoot to work.....Just part ofthe job....Going in 2 weeks....Good until 2011 after that!

Old 05-05-2008, 06:43 AM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take the course It don't take long and it will save money in the long run. most insurance cos. give a discount. for taking it. Hey! you might learn something.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:06 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 502 Likes on 260 Posts

ORIGINAL: krusr

Some folks may say taking a MSF course is a waste of time and money but Irode for over 25 years thinking I knew how to ride. Got pulled over and ticketed for no MC licence so I took a course.
I could not believe how much I learned orI should say, how much I didn't know.
Do yourself a favor a take one, you'll be glad you did,

Krusr
LOL funny you say that... everyone I've ever heard say the MSF was a waste of money... always liked to point out their scars as "lessons learned".... but yanno?? they almost always rode like crap....
I've taken the NSF class after years and thousands of miles... and I learned.... took the ERC after each new bike purchase too... money WELL spent

Old 05-05-2008, 07:11 AM
pscheval
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

nothing will beat experience... drive in places you can do things without being disturbed... the couses are the first thing to do, then put allot of miles on the bike

Quick Reply: advice needed