General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

riding center line

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 07:22 AM
Big P
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: riding center line

the center lane around here is very rough and lots of extra debris most of the time I prefer the left hand groove from the cage traffic less debris just stay ready to adjust for potholes,a fulltime job here in NY

Old 05-04-2008, 01:57 AM
Hrtnrse
Advanced

Riding defensively is the key. Expect the unexpected and definately the expected! I catch myself getting TOO comfortable sometimes, and notice things get a lil "too close" when that happens. When in formation, I tend to ride towards the inside of the outer part. Seeing someones foot on a peg hanging over the yellow, makes me nervous. K

Old 05-04-2008, 02:06 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I nearly always ride the left wheel track, but I adjust my position around (when alone) based upon environmental and traffic conditions. If I am behind a car, and see an oncoming car waiting to turn left, I will get closer to the center line, and cover the brakes....gives him/her a better chance of seeing me, and IF he turns, I can brake and veer left to avoid him, as he crosses in front of me. And at night, I NEVER run down the center of the lane.....that is where debris and carcasses end up...and at nite, some of that stuff is nearly invisible until you are right on it. Last summer, at night in the rain, I missed a road gator by less than 2 feet....given the visibility, I didn't even see it, until it was too late to do nothing more than say "Oh ****"...wife was behind me in the cage, and went right over it....she didn't see it either.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:57 AM
Mississippi Bagger
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: USMCAmmoMan

Lane is bronken into 3 portions, you ride where you can SEE (Search Evaluate & Execute) and be seen. I don't believe there is a set location, the road and conditions are ever changing and you must change with them.

Ride Safe All!
+1

I am wherever is safest given all the factors of each unique situation.

I do NOT attempt to defend my rights to my lane. If someone is acting stupid, I get as far away from them as fast as I can. I have no illusions of winning an argument with a fool in a 3000+ lb. cage.

On a related note- at least once a week I pull over or slow down to give a persistent tailgater room to get around me.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:19 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

I was thumbing through the Dec '06 American Rider yesterday. On the last page there is a great three picture sequence of a guy and gal on a Triumph leaned over, hugging the center line on a left hand sweeper. The moment his front tire hit the painted double yellow line he lost it.

The gal is wearing a helmet, tank top, shorts, and sandals....They don't show the next pictures, but I'm sure they aren't pretty !

Old 05-07-2008, 12:29 PM
cray49a
Road Master

I must be getting old. I used to not care so much about safety (nor did I need to because there was no traffic). I've slide under cars, fell out of the back of a truck doing 40, fell of 2 roofs, got hit by a car while on a 10 speed, almost got my foot shot off, and I've been in several cage accidents. Only scratched! BUT! I FEEL I AM NO LONGER INVINSABLE (SP) AND MAY HAVE USED UP ALL EIGHT OF THE NINE LIVES.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:05 PM
harleydude68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That lane is all mine and I use all of it. As stated in many post previously. situations change every second. When I'm riding solo I just cruise. I stay far enough back from the cage in front of me and keep my eyes open and I try to expect the unexpected.
If I ride with others I tend to ride the right side of the lane. I get this because I ran staight Cycleshack drags on the FXR and my friend didn't much care to be to my right.[sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif] (but he's a big cry baby anyway) But given that I got used to it so that is where I am.